Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 11:00 AM

28,564 posts, read 18,573,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

Now, a military related occupation for NSA or DIA might be. Code breaking, hacking, cyber-warfare. Not that those agencies do that.
I would not be surprised if there are deaf civilian analysts in those agencies.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:06 AM

44,910 posts, read 59,894,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I would not be surprised if there are deaf civilian analysts in those agencies.
There no doubt are. That's kind of why I mentioned them. Of course, those are fairly high skill occupations.

We had a deaf teacher for about 6 weeks one year. She had an interpreter. It was a cluster, partly because of her deafness and the mix of kids she had and partly because she really had no business in the classroom.

We had a blind sub one year. The kids kept stealing his cane.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:53 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,518,771 times
New Bill Would Open Air Force to Deaf
Military.com By Bryant Jordan

Quote:
Deaf and severely hearing impaired individuals could soon serve in the Air Force if legislation introduced in July by a California lawmaker is passed.

An Air Force captain convinced U.S. Rep. Mark Takano, D-California, to introduce a bill that would allow deaf and hearing impaired people to serve in the Air Force as part of a pilot or demonstration program.

Current Defense Department hearing requirements bar the deaf from serving, as well as individuals who currently require or previously used a hearing aid, or have a cochlear ear implant.
Entire Article At: https://www.military.com/daily-news/...e-to-deaf.html

U.S. Rep. Mark Takano, D-California, website is at: http://takano.house.gov/

Old 10-02-2018, 07:05 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,557,799 times
I was a helicopter gun ship pilot in Vietnam. When we ran out of rockets, the door gunner would wind his .50 cal machine gun forward and fire at the enemy. In the dry season, we flew without doors to reduce weight and improve visibility. The muzzle bast from the .50 cal was beyond noisy. I could feel the great blood vessels shaking in my lungs. They didn't send us home when we lost our hearing. The VA provides us with hearing aids. The audiologist drew me a diagram of my hearing loss before he tested me. It was correct. He says we are all alike.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:12 PM

9,214 posts, read 10,980,684 times
#1 requirement for a military member is to function as a warrior or on a mission. You have to see, hear, and be fit enough to do that. The military has been twisted a bit to become a social engineering happy place by a certain element, but it's the very last place that should be done. Mission first.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:28 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,602,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I have a family member who has been deaf all her life and she is married to a deaf man. They raised a very fine hearing son and are normal in every way other than not being able to hear. I've noticed that this makes them very aware and perceptive. They doesn't miss much.

They are members of a deaf community who don't believe that deafness is a handicap.

I think it would be a good thing for deaf people to be able to serve if they wanted to. Certainly there are a number of jobs they would be capable of.

It would require a totally different way of introducing them to the unit and a lot of planning and paperwork (of course) but I see no reason why it couldn't be accomplished.
That’s the problem, because in the outside world, deafness is a very real handicap in many situations, some of which can lead to sudden termination of life. If you are sequestered in a world where EVERYTHING is tailored to the non-hearing, then those risks are reduced but not removed.

If deafness wasn’t a handicap, natural selection would have provided us with a myriad of non-hearing advanced animal species in addition to the hearing species, instead of none.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:48 AM

50,135 posts, read 35,782,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
That’s the problem, because in the outside world, deafness is a very real handicap in many situations, some of which can lead to sudden termination of life. If you are sequestered in a world where EVERYTHING is tailored to the non-hearing, then those risks are reduced but not removed.

If deafness wasn’t a handicap, natural selection would have provided us with a myriad of non-hearing advanced animal species in addition to the hearing species, instead of none.
And the military is not like the outside world. They won’t even take someone with flat feet, where that isn’t considered a handicap at all. My brother was kept out of the draft because of cataracts, but he’s never had a problem with his vision at all. They aren’t an employer who will make accommodations, because it’s not about allowing people to fill their dream, it’s about as the poster said, having warriors at the ready. I don’t even know if there are deaf cops, are there?

Old 10-03-2018, 10:58 AM

38,967 posts, read 27,339,058 times
Let's see:

There is a deaf person who want to be in the military. He wants a bill passed that will allow him to be in the military. Military, however, disagrees with it, because, "The feasibility report states that each service member must be able to deploy at any time, regardless of military occupational specialty. "

He thinks that this is non-sense because military has many jobs that would never see combat, like computer technicians, etc, and he want congress to force military to take him and other people like him in.

Now, here comes some of the people who want deaf people in the military, bloviating how lots of people in the military don't really do combat. Which is beside the point. This is the whole point of contention - MILITARY WANTS TO BE ABLE TO DEPLOY EVERY SINGLE MEMBER IF IT NEEDS TO. (if it needs to being the very important keywords here)

And they say that they can not deploy deaf people. Simple, no?

Now, you can argue that yes you can deploy deaf people if you can deploy double amputees. Or you could go with other good arguments.

But in my humble opinion, deafness in the U.S. Armed forces should never be accepted, and it has nothing to do with discrimination. It is honorable to want to serve, but military is not a place for them in my opinion.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 10-03-2018 at 11:11 AM..

Old 10-03-2018, 12:40 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,518,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
And the military is not like the outside world. They won’t even take someone with flat feet, where that isn’t considered a handicap at all. My brother was kept out of the draft because of cataracts, but he’s never had a problem with his vision at all. They aren’t an employer who will make accommodations, because it’s not about allowing people to fill their dream, it’s about as the poster said, having warriors at the ready. I don’t even know if there are deaf cops, are there?
Not true. I had "flat feet" when I was drafted...

Here is what the Mayo clinic says:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20372604

Quote:
A flat foot is normal in infants and toddlers, because the foot's arch hasn't yet developed. Most people's arches develop throughout childhood, but some people never develop arches. This is a normal variation in foot type, and people without arches may or may not have problems.

Some children have flexible flatfoot, in which the arch is visible when the child is sitting or standing on tiptoes, but disappears when the child stands. Most children outgrow flexible flatfoot without problems.

Arches can also fall over time. Years of wear and tear can weaken the tendon that runs along the inside of your ankle and helps support your arch.
Actually my flat feet do not bother me much if I wear Combat Boots (or other supportive footwear)... Sandals, Flip-Flops, Moccasins, bear feet etc are very painful...

Old 10-03-2018, 01:04 PM

24,197 posts, read 9,120,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You need to go back and read post #2.

The military accepts candidates on the basis of being "fully deployable," not on the basis of whether a special job can be found somewhere for their particular capabilities.
Nailed it. It doesn't matter if you're a cook flipping burgers in the military or an intelligence officer translating foreign languages in foreign countries, the military accepts and employs you on being fully deployable. Can you deploy at a moments notice into a hostile country or territory if the crap hits the fan?

The military as we know is now kicking people out who aren't deployable. They don't even want folks collecting paychecks or re-enlisting anymore if they are not fully deployable. Pre-existing health conditions, disabilities, injuries, obesity, overweight, etc. these folks are getting the boot if the condition prevents them from being deployable.

A person may never even deploy while serving, but they damn sure will be fully deployable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues