U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 05:49 PM

5,618 posts, read 3,179,293 times

Advertisements

I don't know whether this question belongs here or on the Military site. A friend who served in the Navy in the 70's said he received a letter from the VA to get tested for Hep. C, based on that multiple soldiers at one time were given "gun" vaccines, and were at risk of Hep. C. Another person who served in the 90's said he also got the same letter.

When was this practice stopped? Was it done also for National Guard members as well? My daughter enlisted in the Guard in 2010 but has never received any letter from the VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 06:36 PM

18,569 posts, read 6,046,464 times
Jo, me thinking in the Military area. No clue here.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:17 PM

1,333 posts, read 638,580 times
"Any veteran enrolled in the VA health care system who has concerns about hepatitis C infection, because of jet injectors or any other potential blood exposure during military service, is welcome and encouraged to request testing and evaluation for hepatitis C at his or her nearest VA hospital."

https://www.hepatitis.va.gov/provide...-exposures.asp

Also, https://www.hepatitis.va.gov/pdf/jet-injectors.pdf

Old 09-30-2018, 07:58 PM

21,395 posts, read 25,996,565 times
https://www.hepatitis.va.gov/provide...-exposures.asp

"Veterans and organizations representing them have expressed considerable interest in the possible relationship between hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection and immunization with jet injectors (air-gun injection) or other military-related blood exposures. Although there has never been a documented case of hepatitis C transmitted by a jet injector, it is biologically plausible."

Old 10-02-2018, 01:54 PM

4,502 posts, read 3,151,197 times
Not Hep C related, but I attended a presentation by a VA speaker at my company’s retirement club meeting. He talked abou ALS , Lou Gerigs disease. Basically , a lot of Veterans get ALS and typically if ALS is diagnosed, the Vet receives full care, no questions asked. He made one statement that got my attention. He said the one common factor seemed to be Veterans had received shots from the jet guns. Don’t know how true it is.
I know I received a lot of jet gun shots during my service.
Lou Gehrig

Just something to be aware of.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:05 PM

697 posts, read 249,080 times
At Great Lakes in 1968 we lined up in 2 rows of about 100 and walked down a line to two Corpsmen who shot us at the same time in the arms and ass with an air gun .I was told the two shots were equal to 14 or so individual shots.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:13 PM

4,502 posts, read 3,151,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
At Great Lakes in 1968 we lined up in 2 rows of about 100 and walked down a line to two Corpsmen who shot us at the same time in the arms and ass with an air gun .I was told the two shots were equal to 14 or so individual shots.
Yep, been there done that. About 10 feet past the last shot, the big sledge hammer hits you.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:15 PM

21,395 posts, read 25,996,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Not Hep C related, but I attended a presentation by a VA speaker at my companyís retirement club meeting. He talked abou ALS , Lou Gerigs disease. Basically , a lot of Veterans get ALS and typically if ALS is diagnosed, the Vet receives full care, no questions asked. He made one statement that got my attention. He said the one common factor seemed to be Veterans had received shots from the jet guns. Donít know how true it is.
Lou Gehrig

It does not look like vaccines or use of the injection gun have been identified as a risk factor for ALS in veterans:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4876822/

Old 10-03-2018, 07:03 AM

24,085 posts, read 38,771,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
My first "shot's" with the "Gun" Vaccines was also in 1968. Still have my shot record (somewhere)...

Old 10-04-2018, 08:55 PM

818 posts, read 480,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Not Hep C related, but I attended a presentation by a VA speaker at my company’s retirement club meeting. He talked abou ALS , Lou Gerigs disease. Basically , a lot of Veterans get ALS and typically if ALS is diagnosed, the Vet receives full care, no questions asked. He made one statement that got my attention. He said the one common factor seemed to be Veterans had received shots from the jet guns. Don’t know how true it is.
Lou Gehrig

https://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pres...se.cfm?id=1583

The VA has recognized ALS as a presumptive service connected illness since 2008. Not only is an eligible veteran entitled to health care, they would also be eligible to receive disability compensation. And as alluded to quoted post above, the rate of ALS among military veterans is significantly higher than the general population, which is one of the factors in determining presumptive conditions or illness.

I don't know if the vaccine guns are potential culprits related to ALS...we got "shot" with the guns in the 1980s also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or