U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 05:27 PM

1,229 posts, read 242,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I had never heard that term before! Then again, Marines often have a language outside of the other branches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 12:48 PM

29,723 posts, read 47,495,927 times
My bride was working as a truck stop waitress [graveyard shift] in Connecticut when we met. After about 3 months of dating, my boat had to move to Virginia for a scheduled overhaul.

We did not feel that we had enough time to plan a wedding before my deployment. So one night I gave her all the cash I had in my wallet, I asked her to move to Virginia without me, and in 4 months I would surface there and try to locate her.

Once I surfaced in Virginia I contacted our church, and they gave me her new address in Virginia.

The apartment Landlords were very concerned about an unmarried woman cohabitating with a sailor. So I stayed on the boat until after our wedding.

We have spent 37 years together, we have been biological-parents, foster-parents, adoptive-parents, and we are now grand-parents.

My wife has followed me to every duty station where I have served.

Through her diligent effort to budget my income and manage our investments, I believe that she has more than doubled my income and my portfolio.

She is my greatest asset.

When I retired from the Navy, she started working on-base at the Commissary. I built a farmhouse in a rural part of New England where we raise livestock and grow herbs. As soon as she qualified for a pension she retired and got their pension.

My Dw is a vendor in a Farmer's Market where she sells our fiddleheads, maple, pork, honey and herbs.

My 'dependa' is active in the Libertarian Party, and this year she decided to run for office in our state's house of representatives. She is now in the middle of her campaign for office.

Old 10-03-2018, 01:35 PM

34,563 posts, read 42,724,437 times
My son was in charge of a squad (?) of young Army Rangers. He basically babysat them. None of his soldiers got married, bought expensive cars or pick up trucks, or drank too much. It was exhausting. Now, his two nephews are Rangers. He has moved on, but he keeps close taps on them from afar. Their sergeant used to be one of my sons charges.

If a young soldier is watched over, and protected from himself for the first few years, it really helps them get off to a good start.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:15 PM

13,786 posts, read 4,082,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
My bride was working as a truck stop waitress [graveyard shift] in Connecticut when we met. After about 3 months of dating, my boat had to move to Virginia for a scheduled overhaul.

We did not feel that we had enough time to plan a wedding before my deployment. So one night I gave her all the cash I had in my wallet, I asked her to move to Virginia without me, and in 4 months I would surface there and try to locate her.

Once I surfaced in Virginia I contacted our church, and they gave me her new address in Virginia.

The apartment Landlords were very concerned about an unmarried woman cohabitating with a sailor. So I stayed on the boat until after our wedding.

We have spent 37 years together, we have been biological-parents, foster-parents, adoptive-parents, and we are now grand-parents.

Through her diligent effort to budget my income and manage our investments, I believe that she has more than doubled my income and my portfolio.

When I retired from the Navy, she started working on-base at the Commissary. I built a farmhouse in a rural part of New England where we raise livestock and grow herbs. As soon as she qualified for a pension she retired and got their pension.

My Dw is a vendor in a Farmer's Market where she sells our fiddleheads, maple, pork, honey and herbs.

My 'dependa' is active in the Libertarian Party, and this year she decided to run for office in our state's house of representatives. She is now in the middle of her campaign for office.
Best of Luck to her and you,sounds like you found a "good one". Thank you for your service and your wife's too.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:32 PM

1,665 posts, read 771,338 times
When I arrived at our first duty station in the 1960's, it was "suggested" (and you know what "suggested" means....) that I immediately join the NCO Wives' Club. Wanting to be a good Army wife, I did.

The club was ruled over by a couple of nasty, unpleasant senior sergeant's wives, who had everyone scared to stand up to them. There was much gossiping and vilifying of other wives and a lot of criticism. I attended meetings for about six months and then just stopped going. My husband was called in and asked why I wasn't attending the meetings. "She doesn't want to, sir," he replied. "She doesn't WANT to??? What does that have to do with it? Tell her to attend the meetings!!!" "I can't tell my wife to do something she doesn't want to do," my husband replied. "ARE YOU TELLING ME YOU CAN'T CONTROL YOUR WIFE??? YOU TELL HER TO GO TO THOSE MEETINGS!!!!!!!"

So, I went to a few more and then, being pregnant, I developed a "difficult pregnancy" that prevented me from doing things like attending meetings. It didn't prevent me from traveling, riding a bicycle, swimming or anything else I wanted to do, but for some unfathomable reason, attending NCO Wives' Club meetings just didn't agree with me. I even got a note from my doctor to that effect. Then after I had the baby, the baby seemed to get sick on days there were NCO Wives' Club meetings. Only on those days. I never did figure why that happened but y'know, strange things happen.....

I managed to make it through the rest of the 2 1/2 years we were there without having to attend another meeting.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:26 AM

31,394 posts, read 18,435,180 times
^^ I am so sorry that you had to go through this.

I was dating my fiance when he was still active duty. He is a former Marine Corps MARSOC, so the "club" was rather small. I am so glad that I did not have to deal with the so called "NCO wives club" or whatever clubs. Even if I had to deal with it, I would not tolerate any type of politics, gossiping, or bullying.

In my opinion, the so called "club" should be a support group to bring positive energy to the community. It should never be a club for power struggle.

I have to say that hanging out with other MARSOC's girlfriends and wife (Mostly girlfriends and one wife because most MARSOC chose not to get married while serving in the Marine Corps) is a positive experience for me. For example, They taught me to recognize ranks and the proper way to address them. We also remind each other that try on a service member’s uniform, take a picture just for funsies and post in on Facebook is a big no no. When our husbands and boyfriends were deployed, I feel they really held my hands (figure of speech) through many struggles and sleepless nights.

Even though my fiance is a veteran now, and I've never lived on base. I learned one thing to be true: When it comes to building a life with someone in the military, you either get over it, get through it, or get out of it.

Nothing comes easy.

I respect that.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 10-06-2018 at 09:41 AM..

Old 10-06-2018, 01:31 PM

24,135 posts, read 38,883,622 times
Not all clubs, groups, charities, organizations, foundations, programs, associations, etc are created equal...

When you have learned that, then you most likely made some headway...

Old 10-06-2018, 01:33 PM
Status: "I can retire today...but I love my job so...." (set 26 days ago)

558 posts, read 198,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

I wish I could vote for her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or