U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2018, 12:38 PM

376 posts, read 72,819 times

Advertisements

My father's Honorable Discharge from the US Army following his WWII service shows:

Battles & Campaigns: Normandy Ltr HQ ETOUSA

1. can someone please verify my interpretation: father landed at Normandy; then, later (Ltr) served with Headquarters (HQ) European Theater Operations USA (ETOUSA)

--

2. would HQ ETOUSA have followed some safe distance behind regular Army combat units, managing operations?

--

3. is there a way to get a battle action of HQ ETOUSA through all its movements and HQs from landing at Normandy in 1944 until its redesignation as US Forces European Theater (USFET) on March 15, 1945?

--

I am trying to create a timeline, with locations, as my father rolled with his HQ unit from Normandy, to Granville, to Paris, and ultimately Frankfurt.

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 12:46 PM

24,130 posts, read 38,859,608 times
You might read through this page. I did not study the page, but I noticed (HQ ETOUSA) https://www.archives.gov/research/gu...roups/498.html

Old 10-02-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
You might read through this page. I did not study the page, but I noticed (HQ ETOUSA) https://www.archives.gov/research/gu...roups/498.html
Yes, I have seen that website. Thanks for looking.

But it does not specify any battle action (what happened, on what day, and where).

--

Looking again (at the bottom) It does note that there are maps and charts - this is what I'm looking for.

I guess I have to travel to DC and rummage through some boxes? Has anyone done this?

Old 10-02-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
Yes, I have seen that website. Thanks for looking.

But it does not specify any battle action (what happened, on what day, and where).

--

Looking again (at the bottom) It does note that there are maps and charts - this is what I'm looking for.

I guess I have to travel to DC and rummage through some boxes? Has anyone done this?
You don't get to "rummage through some boxes" I was stationed at Fort Meade, years ago. Did some hauling documents for Dept of Army...

Old 10-02-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
You don't get to "rummage through some boxes" I was stationed at Fort Meade, years ago. Did some hauling documents for Dept of Army...
So are they hard copies or on microfilm?

Too bad we don't have the money to digitize these very important documents from one of the most important times in all history!

Old 10-02-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I was stationed at Fort Meade, years ago.
Would you be able to help with two questions:

1. interpretation: father landed at Normandy; then, later (Ltr) served with Headquarters (HQ) European Theater Operations USA (ETOUSA)

Is Ltr = Later?

--

2. would HQ ETOUSA, as a headquarters, have followed some safe distance behind regular Army combat units, managing operations?

Old 10-02-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Would you be able to help with two questions:

1. interpretation: father landed at Normandy; then, later (Ltr) served with Headquarters (HQ) European Theater Operations USA (ETOUSA)

Is Ltr = Later?

--

2. would HQ ETOUSA, as a headquarters, have followed some safe distance behind regular Army combat units, managing operations?
From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe...ed_States_Army

From that page, which is not all:

Quote:
The European Theater of Operations, United States Army (ETOUSA) was a United States Army formation which directed US Army operations in parts of Europe from 1942 to 1945. It referred to Army Ground Forces, United States Army Air Forces, and Army Service Forces operations north of Italy and the Mediterranean coast, in the European Theater of World War II. It was bordered to the south by the North African Theater of Operations, US Army (NATOUSA), which later became the Mediterranean Theater of Operations (MTOUSA).

What does LTR stand for?

Your abbreviation search returned 47 meanings

at: https://www.acronymfinder.com/Milita...nment/LTR.html

Old 10-02-2018, 01:54 PM

I have read all that. Thanks for looking.

But I was hoping that, since you were in the Army, that you would recognize the nuances of the acronym written as 'Ltr' not 'LTR';

and the question re movements of HQs in a war-time environment.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I have read all that. Thanks for looking.

But I was hoping that, since you were in the Army, that you would recognize the nuances of the acronym written as 'Ltr' not 'LTR';

and the question re movements of HQs in a war-time environment.
I truly have no clue what the "Ltr" stands for.

Page: Page 412
Ltr Letter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or