U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 08:46 PM

3,184 posts, read 9,227,803 times

Advertisements

The person making the decision is NOT the Air Force Surgeon General. It is the "AETC SG" or "Air Education and Training Command Surgeon General."
It is not above some parents to google the phone number and call to find out exactly why a child was disqualified. Like, what was it that gave them pause.

I would NOT recommend you start there, because they get irritated and aren't always helpful, but if the reattach doesn't work, you have nothing to lose and might find out what specific thing they are worried about so you know your next move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 08:25 AM
Status: "I can retire today...but I love my job so...." (set 26 days ago)

558 posts, read 198,223 times
As others have shown in this forum, persistence is the key. Keep focused on the end results and what it takes to get there. Don't let the steps to get there dissuade you.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:36 AM

593 posts, read 305,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
The poster does not have a case against the SG. The SG is following a Department of Defense Regulation that says headaches/Migraines are DQ. The original poster's son was properly Disqualified. The Congressman will only act in cases of misconduct. I've had probably 25 applicants file congressional complaints in the last 10 years because of medical disqualifications. They all resulted in complete inaction. There has to be something done wrong. A Congressman has zero ability to force the Air Force to let a disqualified applicant join. The son was disqualified for something that is disqualifying.

The elbow could be a potential case, IF there are medical documents indicating it is 100% healed. It should not be a DQ for that. If there was a break, and then it healed, and THEN there was reoccuring pain... that is proper grounds for a DQ because it indicated improper healing. I'm not completely sure by reading the poster's posts, but it sounds to me like he broke it, it healed, and then he still had reoccuring pain that the doctor wasn't able to explain the reasoning for. That's a huge concern for a medical clearance, and will not be something a Congressman has the power to overturn.

A Congressional inquiry will result, at most, with the SGs office explaining why the son was disqualified, and the Congressman responding to the parent that the son was disqualified in accordance with 6130.03 and the Air Force's regulations.

TWO doctors decided to disqualify the son. The MEPS doctor, and the SG. No Congressman will intervene.

The Air Force has not missed it's recruiting goals since 1999.
As long as the OP believes her kid got a bad deal, she should pursue it with guns blazing. I would put zero confidence in a MEPS medical exam. These medical people sign off on what the first doc says. I call foul. If the AF wants to blow it all off she should keep up the fire until every avenue fails. It is amazing what a congressional might do in an election year.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:17 AM

Waivers are at the complete discretion of each branch. A Congressman has literally zero power over this. Zero. Absolutely none. There is not a thing on earth a Congressman or even the President or the Queen of England can do.

The branches have the right to deny enlistment based on medical reasons in DODI 6130.03 or AR 40-501. It is their sole discretion. Headaches are listed in both of those regulations. He has a history of headaches and a migraine diagnosis. If the migraine diagnosis is wrong, her grievance is with the doctor that screwed up the records, not the SG.
I just don't want the OP spending all kinds of effort on something that will be fruitless.

But absolutely, could be worth the try if the OP just has time to burn.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:30 AM

4 posts, read 795 times
Hi, I spoke with the recruiter and he stated there is no guarantee the SG will even look at any info we send over. He also stated that letters from people like teachers will only be shredded. At this point my son has developed a major attitude against the AF. I am guessing he is finished pursuing his dream. It's sad. Thank you for your help.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirk123 View Post
Hi, I spoke with the recruiter and he stated there is no guarantee the SG will even look at any info we send over. He also stated that letters from people like teachers will only be shredded. At this point my son has developed a major attitude against the AF. I am guessing he is finished pursuing his dream. It's sad. Thank you for your help.
I'm sorry. That recruiter is wrong. They'll look at medical documents and supporting letters. We often have MEPS or the SG ask for supporting letters. They will shred letters of recommendation like "He is a great kid, please give him a waiver" but not "He has never missed school for a migraine."

I'm sorry he has an disdain for the Air Force... it should be directed at the doctors who wrote misleading medical records (migraines) and not at the Air Force.

However, I wish him the best of luck in whatever path he takes.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:28 AM

6,964 posts, read 12,378,519 times
Sounds like when a friend of mine tried to get in the Air Force in the 70s. He'd just gotten his pilot's license and thought he was ready to be flying for the Air Force. Problem was, everybody else at that time wanted the same thing.
He was turned down for high blood pressure which, when he got home, his doctor said his BP was fine. BUT.... the man behind him was turned away too. His problem? Not breathing enough! Figure that one out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues