U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 07:00 AM

8,608 posts, read 2,904,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
The local police wont be involved officially. The FBI or some gov agency might be brought in if its litigated but if this happened on base its probably Army jurisdiction.

I've been searching but havent read anything about this online. Reaching out to my sis who is stationed there and is an HMCM.
It must be different in the US.

I hope the Sgt is brought to justice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 07:20 AM

9,345 posts, read 15,786,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
It must be different in the US.

I hope the Sgt is brought to justice.
It is. Civilian law enforcement has zero authority on a military installation. The Army's Criminal Investigation Division (CID) investigates felonies and would probably take the lead on this.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:49 AM

3,710 posts, read 6,714,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I'm sorry to hear that. I am certain a court martial is in the sergeant's future.
I hope so. Guy is stupid and sadistic and abusive. You CAN disobey an unlawful order, and these were unlawful orders.

A little late for that, destroying someone's health is NOT military training. It calls for life in Leavenworth.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:16 PM
Status: "I can retire today...but I love my job so...." (set 25 days ago)

555 posts, read 197,095 times
JRTC and Fort Polk Standards and Discipline

http://www.jrtc-polk.army.mil/Main_P...e_Handbook.pdf
(5) Hazing, Abuse, and Unprofessional Activities: Adherence to the professional Army ethic and supporting individual values create an environment conducive to personal and professional growth. Any activity that subjects a Soldier to degradation or results in Soldier abuse, will not be tolerated. Examples of unacceptable activities include the slapping or pounding of any award, decoration, or badge, and events such as ”blood wings” or “blood stripe” ceremonies, “cherry” jumper initiations, improperly conducted prop blasts, and hazing of any type. Regardless of the intent behind such activities, they are ultimately destructive to unit cohesion and contrary to good order and discipline.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:32 PM

24,132 posts, read 38,871,775 times
U.S. Army's Ready and Resilient Campaign
https://www.army.mil/standto/archive_2013-09-17

Quote:
Hazing, as defined in the revised Army Regulation 600-20, Army Command Policy, is any conduct whereby one or more military members, family members and civilian members, regardless of service, rank, grade, or position, intentionally or recklessly and unlawfully endangers the mental or physical health or safety of another member or employee, regardless of Service, rank, grade, or position, by any action taken, or situation created, that is cruel, abusive, humiliating, oppressive, demeaning or harmful.

Hazing, includes but is not limited to, any form of initiation, "rite of passage" or congratulatory act, or excessive corrective measures that involve: physically striking another in order to, or resulting in, the infliction of pain or injury, piercing another's skin in any manner, forcing or requiring the consumption of excessive amounts of substances, or encouraging illegal, harmful, demeaning or dangerous acts. Hazing can be verbal or psychological in nature. Participants and conspirators may be prosecuted under the Uniformed Code of Military Justice.

Army Regulation 600–20
Personnel–General
Army Command Policy

Can be read/copied/downloaded here: https://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/DR_p...eb/r600_20.pdf

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 10-10-2018 at 07:45 PM..

Old 10-11-2018, 05:53 PM

3,842 posts, read 2,899,591 times
Well times change and I'm certainly in general agreement regarding current military attitudes regarding hazing. The stories I could tell about Marine Corps boot camp during Vietnam. If the drill instructors back then would have been subject to today's rules they would all be in the brig.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:10 PM

5,866 posts, read 3,144,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Well times change and I'm certainly in general agreement regarding current military attitudes regarding hazing. The stories I could tell about Marine Corps boot camp during Vietnam. If the drill instructors back then would have been subject to today's rules they would all be in the brig.

I went through Marine Corps boot camp in 1973 and drill instructors were still very much "hands on". One of our drill instructors violated the cardinal rule of never damaging government property when he slapped a recruit open-handed on the side of his head, rupturing his ear drum. The drill instructor was relieved of his duties and the recruit was medically discharged. When we were loading up on the buses to head up to Camp Pendleton I saw our former drill instructor walking by. He was now wearing corporal's chevrons in place of his sergeant's chevrons. So office hours (Article 15) appears to have been his only punishment.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:07 AM

763 posts, read 478,609 times
I doubt that anything would be published right now. I asked my nephew, he said that his Commanding Officer took a statement from him under oath with 2 "investigators" that were officers. He said that after the statement, his CO apologized to him and said that he takes full responsibility for what happened to him because he was under his command. He told him that they would "take it from there" and that he wouldn't need to provide any other statements at this time. Other than that, he is still undergoing testing. He is currently wearing a heart monitor because he sometimes has a weak "heartbeat" and he gits dizzy. The cardiologist is trying to determine if it is nerve related, or just weak heart tissue that is causing the problem. My nephew has been reassigned to a medical holding unit with other Soldiers who are in various stages of "out processing" for medical issues.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:38 PM

10,392 posts, read 7,472,821 times
Am I the only one who thinks this SSG is a perfect candidate for a blanket party?
This is what happens when you give unqualified morons power. I'm just fuming over this. That trainer needs to be in jail. Yesterday.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:55 PM

24,132 posts, read 38,871,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Am I the only one who thinks this SSG is a perfect candidate for a blanket party?
I would like to see you court-martialed for such an action... But you are not military...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or