U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 04:26 PM

5,958 posts, read 2,460,055 times

Advertisements

Why has their been a recent raising of the age limitations in the military and the air force now has 2 year enlistments?

They are also starting to give out waivers for RE-3's. It seems great on the surface but I cant help but wonder what ominous circumstances are causing these relaxation of standards?

Old 10-09-2018, 05:03 PM

24,080 posts, read 38,745,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Why has their been a recent...
https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/n...to_service.asp

National Call to Service Program

This National Call to Service Incentive program is a benefit provided to those who perform a period of national service. It is a Department of Defense program that is administered by VA.
Type of Assistance

Participants who elect to receive an educational assistance incentive are not entitled to additional assistance under Chapter 1606 or Chapter 30 benefits unless the participant completes the service requirements necessary to establish eligibility. An individual who receives benefits under this program who also establishes eligibility under Chapter 1606 or Chapter 30 will have those entitlements reduced accordingly. Get more information in the pamphlet.

and also: https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/d...ce-program.pdf

I believe the program came about on Dec 3, 2013...

Old 10-09-2018, 05:07 PM

12,522 posts, read 12,009,262 times
Just casting their nets as wide as possible. The military and its requirement changes like the wind, always has, always will. They have times where they cannot get anyone, times when too many try to join, and they always have to pursue people for those always hard to fill jobs. Right now the economy is booming, so they are not getting the number of qualified recruits they need, so they need to make that net larger.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:37 PM

3,176 posts, read 9,186,711 times
Quote:
Why has their been a recent raising of the age limitations in the military and the air force now has 2 year enlistments?

They are also starting to give out waivers for RE-3's. It seems great on the surface but I cant help but wonder what ominous circumstances are causing these relaxation of standards?
The Air Force absolutely does not have 2 years enlistments. Our age limit has been the same for half of a decade, and we have been doing RE-3 waivers for as long as I can remember (I have been in recruiting for 10 years). You get an RE 3 if you are separated from BMT for something like hemorrhoids. Why not give a waiver if it has been corrected. Just an example.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:46 AM

So the national call to service is not necessarily a full blown enlistment? Are you an enlisted, pseudo enlisted, the air force said that they would waive basic training because I already completed army basic training when I was in the army guard.

I read the link but I am not sure what kind of status a "call to service" member would be in? Are you deploy-able, can you opt to serve in some capacity where you are not deploy-able but fill a critical roll at some base?

Old 10-10-2018, 07:12 PM

I actually thought the Air Force did not participate in the National Call to Service because I've never heard of it. Turns out we do, up to 1% of our enlistments.... so 290 people a year since we are currently enlisting about 29,000 a year. I'm sorry I incorrectly said we don't offer the shorter enlistments. We do, to less than 300 people a year. That's incredibly small.

If you have completed any basic training, the Air Force waives boot camp.

If you are prior service, they adjust your age. If you spent 10 years in the Army, for example, we take 10 years off your age. Since our age limit is 40, you could join at 50 if you had 10 years of service. The age limits are to ensure retirement eligibility so prior service is a factor.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I actually thought the Air Force did not participate in the National Call to Service because I've never heard of it. Turns out we do, up to 1% of our enlistments.... so 290 people a year since we are currently enlisting about 29,000 a year. I'm sorry I incorrectly said we don't offer the shorter enlistments. We do, to less than 300 people a year. That's incredibly small.

If you have completed any basic training, the Air Force waives boot camp.

If you are prior service, they adjust your age. If you spent 10 years in the Army, for example, we take 10 years off your age. Since our age limit is 40, you could join at 50 if you had 10 years of service. The age limits are to ensure retirement eligibility so prior service is a factor.
Is it possible to do such an enlistment where you are not deploy-able, essentially where you do your 2 years at a single base. Such as a mechanic in support of aircraft, etc. I am a licenced engineer and have almost completed my A&P cert so my training requirements, hopefully, would be minimal.

Would such an enlistment allow you to gain veterans preference and transition into a federal job?

Old 10-11-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Is it possible to do such an enlistment where you are not deploy-able, essentially where you do your 2 years at a single base. Such as a mechanic in support of aircraft, etc. I am a licenced engineer and have almost completed my A&P cert so my training requirements, hopefully, would be minimal.

Would such an enlistment allow you to gain veterans preference and transition into a federal job?
I've never heard of a 2 year enlistment in my 10 years of recruiting, but then again I had never heard of Call to Service. To the best of my knowledge, no. I recently had someone that had done 8 years in the Air Force, and Separated. I had him completely approved to come back onto active duty by recruiting. We just needed the approval of the manager of his career field (AFSC/MOS). They said NO, because the individual could only enlist for 2 years due to HYT. He was allowed to come back in for only 2 years per our recruiting regulation, but we couldn't actually get the approvals needed in real life. I had to turn him away.

You can completely skip technical training if you held the equivalent MOS in the Army. I doubt that you were a mechanic on fixed wing Air Craft, so you will have to go to technical training even if you have your A&P. We don't just teach the actually mechanics, we teach Air Force specific procedures, safety, and rules that are extremely relevant to the actually model of Air Craft you will be working on. "Crew Chiefs" and other mechanics often deploy WITH their aircraft, so I don't think anyone can guarantee no deployments.

If you are an ABET acredited engineer with a bachelors degree, you should talk with an Officer Recruiter because you could come in directly as an engineer. I'm not versed in that program.

Old 10-12-2018, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I've never heard of a 2 year enlistment in my 10 years of recruiting, but then again I had never heard of Call to Service. To the best of my knowledge, no. I recently had someone that had done 8 years in the Air Force, and Separated. I had him completely approved to come back onto active duty by recruiting. We just needed the approval of the manager of his career field (AFSC/MOS). They said NO, because the individual could only enlist for 2 years due to HYT. He was allowed to come back in for only 2 years per our recruiting regulation, but we couldn't actually get the approvals needed in real life. I had to turn him away.

You can completely skip technical training if you held the equivalent MOS in the Army. I doubt that you were a mechanic on fixed wing Air Craft, so you will have to go to technical training even if you have your A&P. We don't just teach the actually mechanics, we teach Air Force specific procedures, safety, and rules that are extremely relevant to the actually model of Air Craft you will be working on. "Crew Chiefs" and other mechanics often deploy WITH their aircraft, so I don't think anyone can guarantee no deployments.

If you are an ABET acredited engineer with a bachelors degree, you should talk with an Officer Recruiter because you could come in directly as an engineer. I'm not versed in that program.
Do you know of a recruiter I could talk to about options?

I would think have a PE and an A&P would cut the training requirements down quite a bit? There are air frame specific training but having all the fundamentals down would make getting a 2 year contract easier.

I just need the vet status for federal jobs. But I am not interested in going to the middle of a hell hole, that may be a deal breaker ......

Old 10-12-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Do you know of a recruiter I could talk to about options?

I would think have a PE and an A&P would cut the training requirements down quite a bit? There are air frame specific training but having all the fundamentals down would make getting a 2 year contract easier.

I just need the vet status for federal jobs. But I am not interested in going to the middle of a hell hole, that may be a deal breaker ......
Recruiters can't give you a 2 year contract (aside from the call to service, but I'm not sure how that even works as it's not even in our recruiting regulation), and can't promise that you won't deploy.

I would highly recommend that you use the contact us chat function on this website as it will put you in contact with someone at the recruiting headquarters. They would be a better first stop than a local recruiter since you're trying to do something so unusual.
https://www.airforce.com/search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues