U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2018, 09:00 AM

217 posts, read 154,238 times

Advertisements

Can anyone explain how this process works? How long it takes, the best way to apply, etc. Assume for this discussion that the vet meets the requirements.

Iíve read the material on the VA website, and others. I understand what is covered and theoretically how to apply. However, several of the links from the website donít appear to be working, like the e.benefits link. Maybe just temporary, I hope. The closest VA regional office is an hour away. The VA lists intake facilities but I canít tell what they do...what types of intakes.

I searched this forum and could not find the answer. This is not for me...for a family member. Thanks so much.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 10:07 AM

24,178 posts, read 39,006,524 times
There appears to only be one thread with Agent Orange in this forum: Agent Orange Issues and Discussions It has 48 posts.

Over the years I have had mixed results, mostly good, by calling my local VA.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
There appears to only be one thread with Agent Orange in this forum: Agent Orange Issues and Discussions It has 48 posts.

Over the years I have had mixed results, mostly good, by calling my local VA.
Thanks very much. I missed that. Itís old, but Iíll add this there. Maybe folks are still following that post.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:30 AM

821 posts, read 488,603 times
Call your state department of veterans' services or one of the National Veteran Services Organizations. American Legion, VFW, Military Order of the Purple Heart, DAV.

Explain that you want to meet with a veteran service officer to file a compensation claim. I would start with your state veteran office. That VSO should tell your family member about the AO registry and the free examination that does not establish benefits, but does help diagnose the presumptive conditions associated with AO exposure.

The VA itself is going to look for evidence of AO exposure through service records. AO exposure in itself is not compensable. The disorders, diseases and conditions associated with AO exposure must be diagnosed.

You do not need to go to a VA regional office. Don't pay for a VSO's services. State VSOs cannot charge for services.

Needs to have a certified copy of DD214 if never filed with the VA. A VSO can assist a veteran in obtaining service documents if the veteran lost or never had a copy.

Old 10-16-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVREDLEG View Post
Call your state department of veterans' services or one of the National Veteran Services Organizations. American Legion, VFW, Military Order of the Purple Heart, DAV.

Explain that you want to meet with a veteran service officer to file a compensation claim. I would start with your state veteran office. That VSO should tell your family member about the AO registry and the free examination that does not establish benefits, but does help diagnose the presumptive conditions associated with AO exposure.

The VA itself is going to look for evidence of AO exposure through service records. AO exposure in itself is not compensable. The disorders, diseases and conditions associated with AO exposure must be diagnosed.

You do not need to go to a VA regional office. Don't pay for a VSO's services. State VSOs cannot charge for services.

Needs to have a certified copy of DD214 if never filed with the VA. A VSO can assist a veteran in obtaining service documents if the veteran lost or never had a copy.
Very helpful. Thanks very much. We have the dd214, but maybe not Ďcertifiedí. The diagnosis is one on the short list as linked to agent orange, and he was boots on the ground in nam in 69-70.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:51 PM

821 posts, read 488,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilee View Post
Very helpful. Thanks very much. We have the dd214, but maybe not Ďcertifiedí. The diagnosis is one on the short list as linked to agent orange, and he was boots on the ground in nam in 69-70.
If the current diagnosis is by a private doctor, I recommend obtaining those records and bringing to appointment with the VSO. If the diagnosis was in a VA facility, there is no reason to get the records--VBA will pull from VHA as soon as they start working the claim. The VA is, by law, bound to assist the veteran in filing a claim, but their procedures for gathering evidence are rather slow. For example, if you choose to tell VA where your private medical records are located, they will MAIL a request and your veteran's signed release and WAIT 30 days for a reply, then MAIL a second request and WAIT again. If the provider charges for records copies, VA will not pay.

Remember: this only applies to outside VA medical, not treatment in a VA facility. Some private practices are responsive, others are not. Don't take a chance on delays--encourage your relative to get and bring copies of the private treatment records and diagnosis.

Compensation is but one resource. I advise enrolling in VA healthcare and signing up for the AO registry if not done already.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:04 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,862,816 times
Does the veteran have access to any of the VET Centers?
If so, stop in. There is a wealth of information there.

Old Today, 09:44 PM

179 posts, read 86,539 times
Many years ago I got my husband into the system at the VA hospital, got the ID card and access to doctor's appointments, etc. and then went to the Agent Orange office and sat down with the personnel there and went over his military history with them. After that I was able to make an appointment with a neurologist at the VA who was able to make the diagnosis of Lewy Body Dementia and Parkinson's Disease.
Once that diagnosis was made I downloaded the paperwork on the VA website and had him declared 100% service-connected disabled and then filed for disability. It is not difficult to do but my best advice is that you fill everything out completely. The government doesn't like skipped questions. Once I submitted the paperwork it took about 7 months before my husband began receiving a pension.
If your relative does this tell them to look into what other help is available. I stayed home and took care of my husband for 8 years. There were a lot of resources available to him that I never took advantage of such as home help with bathing, feeding, dressing, etc. I always thought he would prefer not to have a stranger doing these things for him so I did it myself, but some people might welcome the help, so it is good for them to know what is available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or