U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-11-2018, 08:00 AM
 
217 posts, read 152,203 times
Reputation: 210

Advertisements

Can anyone explain how this process works? How long it takes, the best way to apply, etc. Assume for this discussion that the vet meets the requirements.

Iíve read the material on the VA website, and others. I understand what is covered and theoretically how to apply. However, several of the links from the website donít appear to be working, like the e.benefits link. Maybe just temporary, I hope. The closest VA regional office is an hour away. The VA lists intake facilities but I canít tell what they do...what types of intakes.

I searched this forum and could not find the answer. This is not for me...for a family member. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-11-2018, 09:07 AM
 
Location: New Mexico U.S.A.
24,080 posts, read 38,745,073 times
Reputation: 28044
There appears to only be one thread with Agent Orange in this forum: Agent Orange Issues and Discussions It has 48 posts.

Over the years I have had mixed results, mostly good, by calling my local VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2018, 09:12 AM
 
217 posts, read 152,203 times
Reputation: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
There appears to only be one thread with Agent Orange in this forum: Agent Orange Issues and Discussions It has 48 posts.

Over the years I have had mixed results, mostly good, by calling my local VA.
Thanks very much. I missed that. Itís old, but Iíll add this there. Maybe folks are still following that post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2018, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Henderson, NV
817 posts, read 479,602 times
Reputation: 2212
Call your state department of veterans' services or one of the National Veteran Services Organizations. American Legion, VFW, Military Order of the Purple Heart, DAV.

Explain that you want to meet with a veteran service officer to file a compensation claim. I would start with your state veteran office. That VSO should tell your family member about the AO registry and the free examination that does not establish benefits, but does help diagnose the presumptive conditions associated with AO exposure.

The VA itself is going to look for evidence of AO exposure through service records. AO exposure in itself is not compensable. The disorders, diseases and conditions associated with AO exposure must be diagnosed.

You do not need to go to a VA regional office. Don't pay for a VSO's services. State VSOs cannot charge for services.

Needs to have a certified copy of DD214 if never filed with the VA. A VSO can assist a veteran in obtaining service documents if the veteran lost or never had a copy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM
 
217 posts, read 152,203 times
Reputation: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVREDLEG View Post
Call your state department of veterans' services or one of the National Veteran Services Organizations. American Legion, VFW, Military Order of the Purple Heart, DAV.

Explain that you want to meet with a veteran service officer to file a compensation claim. I would start with your state veteran office. That VSO should tell your family member about the AO registry and the free examination that does not establish benefits, but does help diagnose the presumptive conditions associated with AO exposure.

The VA itself is going to look for evidence of AO exposure through service records. AO exposure in itself is not compensable. The disorders, diseases and conditions associated with AO exposure must be diagnosed.

You do not need to go to a VA regional office. Don't pay for a VSO's services. State VSOs cannot charge for services.

Needs to have a certified copy of DD214 if never filed with the VA. A VSO can assist a veteran in obtaining service documents if the veteran lost or never had a copy.
Very helpful. Thanks very much. We have the dd214, but maybe not Ďcertifiedí. The diagnosis is one on the short list as linked to agent orange, and he was boots on the ground in nam in 69-70.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM
 
Location: Henderson, NV
817 posts, read 479,602 times
Reputation: 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilee View Post
Very helpful. Thanks very much. We have the dd214, but maybe not Ďcertifiedí. The diagnosis is one on the short list as linked to agent orange, and he was boots on the ground in nam in 69-70.
If the current diagnosis is by a private doctor, I recommend obtaining those records and bringing to appointment with the VSO. If the diagnosis was in a VA facility, there is no reason to get the records--VBA will pull from VHA as soon as they start working the claim. The VA is, by law, bound to assist the veteran in filing a claim, but their procedures for gathering evidence are rather slow. For example, if you choose to tell VA where your private medical records are located, they will MAIL a request and your veteran's signed release and WAIT 30 days for a reply, then MAIL a second request and WAIT again. If the provider charges for records copies, VA will not pay.

Remember: this only applies to outside VA medical, not treatment in a VA facility. Some private practices are responsive, others are not. Don't take a chance on delays--encourage your relative to get and bring copies of the private treatment records and diagnosis.

Compensation is but one resource. I advise enrolling in VA healthcare and signing up for the AO registry if not done already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top