U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 05:03 PM

8,280 posts, read 5,831,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
That isn't really accurate...legal recreational or medical marijuana can't be used by military members, personal travel is restricted for military members, you can't drink (even though you are "legal" to drink) in some countries, adultery is not illegal everywhere but military members are prohibited from participating, can't get certain tattoos, can't get some piercings, can't wear many hair styles, can't wear a beard, can't wear some clothing, there are lists of "off limit establishments" for military members, etc. Military members are much more restricted in their personal lives than civilians.
Not to mention non-fraternization between enlisted and officers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 05:16 PM

128 posts, read 49,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I'm Air Force, but I spent most of the 90s in joint units working for Naval field and flag rank officers, with sailors and petty officers working for me.

For sure, the Navy has many such policies that are far, far, far, far, far different from other services, and yes, it is a matter of ship life. They are even very different from the Marine Corps.

Not that they are wrong...just that life that is intended to be mostly at sea is very different from "normal" life and requires very different policies.
I guess it makes sense to have the same restrictions on shore as you would have on the ship, so that going to sea isn't seen as a relative hardship or something to be avoided.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:41 PM

17,884 posts, read 9,831,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWill1 View Post
I guess it makes sense to have the same restrictions on shore as you would have on the ship, so that going to sea isn't seen as a relative hardship or something to be avoided.
Yes, they do use the same rules on shore as at sea, which I found initially befuddling. But then I realized that all the services take their necessary combat policies and apply them across the board as much as possible.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:50 PM

7,944 posts, read 6,706,083 times
While I was in the US Navy many years ago, we always went "out of bounds" on liberty, passes, etc. We just never said anything. Sometimes you just have to keep your mouth shut.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:53 AM

5,801 posts, read 3,087,683 times
With Tom Cruise riding around on a motorcycle without a helmet on the Top Gun 2 photos I am reminded that my Fort Riley commanding General ordered all soldiers to wear helmets and reflective vest on duty or off, on base or off. So yes a military commander can go above what a state law says or Congress passes.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:35 AM

12,623 posts, read 12,065,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWill1 View Post
I must say this is a lot different from my time in the Army (active duty '04-'09). While we were highly restricted during initial training (18 or 20 weeks for me), once you reached your permanent duty station they mostly treated you like an adult. Most soldiers had their own rooms in the barracks, and there were no rules about opposite sex visitors. When I was stationed in Germany, you had to get a 'mileage pass' signed if you traveled more that 150 miles from the base, but they didn't care who you traveled with.

Maybe the Navy has vastly different rules due to the traditions of ship life? Sounds terribly restrictive and a major impediment to retention.
My experience in the Navy that it was pretty laxed and they treated you like an "adult".

The exception to this was when someone was out of boot camp and in their first schools, a lot of restrictions still. But after that, never heard of any abnormalities like liberty passes, buddy systems, etc. At least stateside. You could have guests of any sex in the barracks, but they had to be gone by a certain time. You could travel where you want just be back in time. Overseas, there were restrictions about how far away you could travel, you had to get specific permission to travel beyond that, but never heard any issue from it.

It could be a command specific thing, some CO's are just jerks.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:04 PM

24,126 posts, read 38,859,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinduffy View Post
Regarding today's armed services, do any of them require a member to get permission from higher authorities before getting married anymore?

Getting Married In The Military
By Rod Powers Updated August 27, 2018
From: https://www.thebalancecareers.com/mi...ymoons-3346199

Quote:
If you are overseas and marrying a foreign national, it's a different story. There are multiple forms to complete; you must obtain counseling and your commander's permission (which is rarely withheld without very good reason); your spouse must undergo a security background check and pass a medical examination. Finally, the marriage has to be "recognized" by the United States Embassy. The entire process can take several months.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:50 PM

3,828 posts, read 2,897,741 times
Even during the Vietnam War in the Marine Corps it wasn’t all that difficult to marry a foreign national. I married a women in SE Asia and it was a relatively short time table maybe five to six weeks. There was a medical examination and a check of local police records and that was about the whole process. The most dramatic part of the experience was flying out of Tan Son Nhut airport in Vietnam during a mortar attack which was a little dicey.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:03 PM

4,677 posts, read 4,484,659 times
OP the only restriction on the marriages is marrying a foreign national in their country. for example I married a South Korean woman I met in Seoul Korea. It took an interview with the chaplain (both of us) a form that the commander signed stating that the soldier has got the proper documents (letter from chaplain, health physicals, birth records, apostilled foreign language records) and a transmittal to higher headquarters. They send the request to investigative authorities as a background check. I had a secret clearance and so she had to have her family tree looked over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I was married to a foreign national and it never even came up and it was never an issue.
Did you get married over there or did you have her come to you?

Old 10-22-2018, 09:52 PM

5,855 posts, read 3,139,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
OP the only restriction on the marriages is marrying a foreign national in their country. for example I married a South Korean woman I met in Seoul Korea. It took an interview with the chaplain (both of us) a form that the commander signed stating that the soldier has got the proper documents (letter from chaplain, health physicals, birth records, apostilled foreign language records) and a transmittal to higher headquarters. They send the request to investigative authorities as a background check. I had a secret clearance and so she had to have her family tree looked over.

Did you get married over there or did you have her come to you?

She was born in Canada but came to the US when she was two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or