U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 05:23 AM

17,884 posts, read 9,831,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
She was born in Canada but came to the US when she was two.
I've already mentioned that the government barely blinks if you marry a citizen of Canada, the UK, or Australia. If you have a TOP SECRET clearance, they'll ask a couple more questions if the CANUKAUS spouse hasn't yet become an American citizen when it's renewed.

But frankly, a CANUKAUS spouse doesn't really give you the "foreign spouse" experience in the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 10:47 AM

12,623 posts, read 12,065,272 times
I got married to a foreign national, she was from let's just say, a nation not overly friendly to the US, but not hostile either. I had TS SCI at the time. Nothing came of it. Temp suspended for 10 days while they did a background review of her, then suspension lifted, but it was all transparent to me because despite the suspension, I was given a command waiver. I never knew any of it, it was all in the background and I was never informed until after it was all over.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:01 PM

31,385 posts, read 18,420,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
Not in todays military, none of this exists anymore. Now there are some considerations if enlisted and officer marry. It's not banned, but you have to be in completely separate chains of command and can't have any interaction in a professional manner. I knew a Chief Petty Officer that was married to a female pilot. He had to stay in planes, she had to stay in helicopters so that there wasn't any chance of them interacting.

Now I have heard that female pilots are asked to sign a contract that states that they agree to hold off on having children until after they have completed pilot training, which in some cases can take 2 years. If they get pregnant, they have to stop the training and may loose out on becoming a pilot, but they aren't kicked out.

The military has made significant changes to fully incorporate women, and with that, motherhood. Under no circumstances can a female be punished because she is a mom. Now the Airforce does have some restrictions when it comes to joining if you have over a certain number of children without a spouse.

When I was in the Navy, right before we deployed, over half of the females in out squadron would get pregnant, and miss the deployment. Two got pregnant while on the deployment. They would be assigned temporary shore duty until the child was born, and six months after, and then they would return to sea duty to serve the rest of their tour. None of them were punished.
i started dating my current fiance when he was still active duty. We did not plan to get married at the time because of his MOS (He was a MARSOC) We couldn't "see" each other on regular basis like most of the "normal" couples, it was very difficult to have a "relationship." However, If we wanted to get married, I don't think we really needed a "permission". The decision of not getting married when he was still active duty is OUR decision. I wanted him to have a great career as a MARSOC, he wanted me to figure out if this is something I want for the rest of my life.

If I remember this correctly, getting married as a member of the military is much the same as civilian marriages. You don't need advanced permission and there is no special military paperwork to fill out before the marriage.

I think If you are overseas and marrying a foreign national, it's a different story. A lot of forms to complete.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 10-23-2018 at 12:14 PM..

Old 10-23-2018, 07:03 PM

4,677 posts, read 4,484,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
She was born in Canada but came to the US when she was two.

just a bit different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I got married to a foreign national, she was from let's just say, a nation not overly friendly to the US, but not hostile either. I had TS SCI at the time. Nothing came of it. Temp suspended for 10 days while they did a background review of her, then suspension lifted, but it was all transparent to me because despite the suspension, I was given a command waiver. I never knew any of it, it was all in the background and I was never informed until after it was all over.

I had a secret clearance so it was not suspended or anything. Just a question, sorry for intrusion, are you two still together. My wife and I are still going strong after 38 years of being married.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:36 PM

12,623 posts, read 12,065,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
just a bit different.

I had a secret clearance so it was not suspended or anything. Just a question, sorry for intrusion, are you two still together. My wife and I are still going strong after 38 years of being married.
Yes, better than ever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or