U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 05:18 AM

509 posts, read 1,043,873 times

Advertisements

Regarding today's armed services, do any of them require a member to get permission from higher authorities before getting married anymore?

I know that it used to be required and I recall that it might have been applicable to lower ranks.
Are there any penalties for getting married without permission?

Are there any penalties for getting pregnant? I know that they used to say you're body was Govt. equipment and any self inflicted injury, or self-induced condition affecting your service was an offense.
All I know is from decades ago and I am not up on changes made over the years. For example, it used to be that if you married a Chinese or Filipino, you couldn't bring your bride back to the continental U.S. because of state's miscegenation laws.

I also know that for a while, at least, the Army would not accept recruits who were married.
I am curious as to the current situation. I imagine they are pretty lax nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 07:16 AM

763 posts, read 478,094 times
Not in todays military, none of this exists anymore. Now there are some considerations if enlisted and officer marry. It's not banned, but you have to be in completely separate chains of command and can't have any interaction in a professional manner. I knew a Chief Petty Officer that was married to a female pilot. He had to stay in planes, she had to stay in helicopters so that there wasn't any chance of them interacting.

Now I have heard that female pilots are asked to sign a contract that states that they agree to hold off on having children until after they have completed pilot training, which in some cases can take 2 years. If they get pregnant, they have to stop the training and may loose out on becoming a pilot, but they aren't kicked out.

The military has made significant changes to fully incorporate women, and with that, motherhood. Under no circumstances can a female be punished because she is a mom. Now the Airforce does have some restrictions when it comes to joining if you have over a certain number of children without a spouse.

When I was in the Navy, right before we deployed, over half of the females in out squadron would get pregnant, and miss the deployment. Two got pregnant while on the deployment. They would be assigned temporary shore duty until the child was born, and six months after, and then they would return to sea duty to serve the rest of their tour. None of them were punished.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:35 AM

8,851 posts, read 7,333,347 times
Only times it requires a possible review is if officer and enlisted, members of the same command, or marrying a foreign national.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:57 AM

17,884 posts, read 9,831,212 times
I've seen pregnancies immediately before deployment turn into dicey matters (particularly if the woman gets an abortion right after the unit deploys). In that case, the technical legal issue isn't pregnancy per se, but that she deliberately made herself unable to deploy--the same as if a man deliberately got himself injured to avoid deployment.

The military doesn't prevent people from getting married, but oh, boy, there sure were times when I was overseas in the Far East, particularly in the Philippines, when I wished I could tell a troop, "No, you can't marry that girl."

Old 10-13-2018, 11:08 AM

3,182 posts, read 9,221,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinduffy View Post
Regarding today's armed services, do any of them require a member to get permission from higher authorities before getting married anymore?

I know that it used to be required and I recall that it might have been applicable to lower ranks.
Are there any penalties for getting married without permission?

Are there any penalties for getting pregnant? I know that they used to say you're body was Govt. equipment and any self inflicted injury, or self-induced condition affecting your service was an offense.
All I know is from decades ago and I am not up on changes made over the years. For example, it used to be that if you married a Chinese or Filipino, you couldn't bring your bride back to the continental U.S. because of state's miscegenation laws.

I also know that for a while, at least, the Army would not accept recruits who were married.
I am curious as to the current situation. I imagine they are pretty lax nowadays.
Military members are not at all as restricted in their personal lives as you would think. Basically, if it's legal, you can usually do it.

There are utterly zero restrictions on marriage as far as getting permission. There may be consequences to security clearances, and you must report your marriage, but that's it. For example, if you marry a North Korean government official, and you have a Top Secret Security Clearance working on Korean espionage, you're gonna lose your clearance. However, you won't get in trouble, you will just be reassigned new duties.

There are 0 penalties for getting pregnant, but you can be looked down upon if you do it just to avoid a deployment to a war zone. They're not going to be able to prove you did it for that reason, but you will face a stigma. Otherwise, have 14 children for all we care.

Marriage is not a disqualification for being recruited in any branch, but large numbers of children might be due to the low pay of junior enlisted. We don't want to take in people who would know can't pay their bills on our salary. Once you're in, there are no restrictions.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:52 AM

4,549 posts, read 8,001,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Military members are not at all as restricted in their personal lives as you would think. Basically, if it's legal, you can usually do it.
That isn't really accurate...legal recreational or medical marijuana can't be used by military members, personal travel is restricted for military members, you can't drink (even though you are "legal" to drink) in some countries, adultery is not illegal everywhere but military members are prohibited from participating, can't get certain tattoos, can't get some piercings, can't wear many hair styles, can't wear a beard, can't wear some clothing, there are lists of "off limit establishments" for military members, etc. Military members are much more restricted in their personal lives than civilians.

Old 10-13-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
That isn't really accurate...legal recreational or medical marijuana can't be used by military members, personal travel is restricted for military members, you can't drink (even though you are "legal" to drink) in some countries, adultery is not illegal everywhere but military members are prohibited from participating, can't get certain tattoos, can't get some piercings, can't wear many hair styles, can't wear a beard, can't wear some clothing, there are lists of "off limit establishments" for military members, etc. Military members are much more restricted in their personal lives than civilians.
Touche- you got me on the adultery and the personal grooming. I'm "institutionalized" I guess. I'm so used to it so it didn't feel like I was lacking any freedoms when I posted that. You made good points.

Marijuana is still against FEDERAL LAW- thereby still federally illegal.
Personal Travel is not very restricted by the military. It may be restricted by some commanders and in some situations. I can fly to China if I want on a weekend without telling anyone. There are very few places I'm not allowed to travel to- the Mexican board towns on the Mexico side, maybe Egypt, Syria, North Korea. I think that's about it. As long as I get back to work on time, I'm pretty free to travel.
I do not know of a single place in which drinking is legal that military members are not allowed to drink, except combat zones. Can you provide an example?

Constitutional and big ticket rights we still always have, often with very few restrictions. For example, I can still protest (just not in uniform), I can still vote (but can't publicly speak for a candidate while showing my affiliation with the military), I can 'pursue happiness' by marrying/divorcing/procreating/sterilizing myself at will...

Old 10-13-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
I do not know of a single place in which drinking is legal that military members are not allowed to drink, except combat zones. Can you provide an example?
During my 26 year military career I was barred from drinking many times. Ever spend 9 months on a ship at sea?

When we pulled into some countries we were told we could not drink, we had curfews, had to have a liberty buddy, could not stay off the ship overnight, etc. One example...

https://www.stripes.com/news/off-bas...japan-1.502152

Old 10-13-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
During my 26 year military career I was barred from drinking many times. Ever spend 9 months on a ship at sea?

When we pulled into some countries we were told we could not drink, we had curfews, had to have a liberty buddy, could not stay off the ship overnight, etc. One example...

https://www.stripes.com/news/off-bas...japan-1.502152
Well, then I again stand corrected. I've never been on a ship. This is not common for us the the Air Force. In fact, there is a Army base in Texas where you can drink at 18 if you're military, so that you won't be tempted to go into Mexico to drink where it is legal at 18. Fort Hood I think, or maybe Fort Bliss.

Overseas, (Europe) we're allowed to drink at 18 or 19, whatever the drinking age is there... vs our standard USA drinking age.

Often, we observe the laws of the host country. If drinking is illegal, troops are also prohibited. If the drinking age is younger than the US, troops are allowed to partake.

I can understand the safety concerns of not being allowed to drink on a ship... much like passengers in US cars are not allowed to drink.

Old 10-13-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I can 'pursue happiness' by marrying/divorcing/procreating/sterilizing myself at will...
My son was in the Navy for four years after I retired from my career in the Navy. One thing my son really struggled with is how he was not allowed to travel during his off time with his girlfriend.

They were both stationed in Pensacola and on their weekends off they wanted to travel to nearby cities to visit and sight-see. They had to request to be away from the base overnight and on weekends and every time they were disapproved and not allowed to be away overnight since they were of the opposite sex. They were required to have a liberty buddy to be away overnight and the liberty buddy could not be the opposite sex.

Those that were homosexual had no trouble being away over the weekend because their love interest was of the same sex. My son and his girlfriend were never able to travel together and stay away for the weekend while they were stationed in Pensacola. They could not even be in each others barracks rooms as the opposite sex was not allowed in the barracks. Any "personal time" was in the car parked off a dirt road somewhere near the base or a hotel off base during the day for a couple hours.

That isn't pursuing happiness "at will". Just another example of how military members are/can be restricted.

Quote:
Marijuana is still against FEDERAL LAW- thereby still federally illegal.
That isn't the whole story though...So as a military member can you fly to a country where marijuana isn't "against federal law" and use marijuana? Nope, you can't fly to Amsterdam and smoke pot for a week as a military member.

Last edited by LBTRS; 10-13-2018 at 06:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or