Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 05:31 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times

Advertisements

Seems the Marines are leaving some of the families that live on Camp Lejeune to fend for themselves.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-marine-...--finance.html

U.S.
At U.S. Marine base, families plead for housing help after Florence
Reuters By Andrea Januta,Reuters Sat, Sep 29 2:30 PM EDT

By Andrea Januta

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. (Reuters) - Two weeks after Hurricane Florence devastated parts of the U.S. Southeast with raging waters and dangerous winds, some military families at the region's largest Marine Corps base say they are still residing in unlivable conditions and awaiting help from the base’s private housing manager.

Some, like Jennifer Maher, said they feel unsafe in their Camp Lejeune homes but were told they will not be moved because assessment crews determined their houses are habitable.

That did not work for Maher, pregnant in her third trimester and living with her husband and 2-year-old son. When she returned home last Friday, she opened the door to the stench of mold, she said while showing the wreckage to a visiting reporter. Then she saw the ceiling had collapsed in their bedroom and garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 06:37 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Hope the reporter is going to make this a front page story because this is a disgrace.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Hope the reporter is going to make this a front page story because this is a disgrace.
I know the Commander is getting heat for not evacuating the base!

Old 10-01-2018, 04:20 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,573,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I know the Commander is getting heat for not evacuating the base!

How do you know this?

Old 10-01-2018, 05:37 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,058,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Seems the Marines are leaving some of the families that live on Camp Lejeune to fend for themselves.

Not a USMC issue. It is privatized housing and similar to any other rental complex off post.

The affected people are free to move, and I'm sure the unit would provide them time to do so.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
Not a USMC issue. It is privatized housing and similar to any other rental complex off post.

The affected people are free to move, and I'm sure the unit would provide them time to do so.
Not true.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
How do you know this?
Since you are trolling me you should at least pay attention........

Camp Lejeune ...

https://www.businessinsider.com/mari...lorence-2018-9

..........and why you're trolling me tell me why they evacuate Marine Air Base Cherry Point roughly 45 miles away and inland but not Lejeune?

Old 10-01-2018, 09:57 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,895,500 times
As a former Marine this is nothing new, some of the conditions we lived in were deplorable I didn't realize it til I got out we were literally living in the projects!! At Least the projects probably had warm water in the winter. lol

Old 10-02-2018, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
As a former Marine this is nothing new, some of the conditions we lived in were deplorable I didn't realize it til I got out we were literally living in the projects!! At Least the projects probably had warm water in the winter. lol
The management of the homes is done by a third party but it is still under the direction of the Commander
Brigadier General Julian D. Alford Commander. As I stated before I have been on ,around and pretty much all over Lejeune many times over the last 6 years and for them to to treat the "families of Marines" with this type of reckless abandon is sinful , if the Marine Corps wanted to do something they could.

I have all so seen a good bit of Quantico and Air Base Cherry Point at no place would I describe the homes as the "projects" ,all the homes were nice and well taken care of but to let the families of Marines endure what has happen from Florence at Camp Lejeune is a sin and a stain on the Corp.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:03 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
How do you know this?
Maybe he is or was based there. Or has family there. I have friends LL over the Us in all branches of the military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues