U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2018, 02:33 AM

577 posts, read 648,097 times

Advertisements

This is really worth a look:

Iraq_legacy_of_war
Quote:
As we drove into the market in al-Dora in southern Baghdad the driver announced: “Welcome to the swamp.”
The place reeked of violence. It was April 2007 and the Americans, after years of unsuccessfully fighting the insurgency sparked by their invasion of Iraq, were striving one last time for some sort of victory.
Tens of thousands of extra troops were going in - the Surge.
Back in 2007, death stalked the streets of al-Dora. One reporter dubbed it “the most dangerous place in Iraq”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 07:40 AM

188 posts, read 193,496 times
This is an excellent article about brave and honorable men. Thanks for posting this.

Old 10-26-2018, 08:19 AM

4,065 posts, read 1,848,661 times
war is hell. The men who are in the middle of it literally have been to hell. Some do not come back.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:56 AM

3,871 posts, read 2,917,007 times
I hope the people who fought this war are not forgotten and get the respect they deserve. All professional military people who went through incredible hardships while a lot of Americans were indifferent and went about their daily lives. We won’t forget the thin red line of people who stand between us and our enemies.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:35 PM

3,738 posts, read 6,733,899 times
One of the worst moves in US history. Ditto the 1991 save of Saudi Arabia.
"Fixing" things, when we cannot fix our own internal messes, tends to not work out so very well.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:47 AM

4,679 posts, read 4,500,774 times
Excellent post. Thanks for sharing. What I found as a excellent example of how most of us felt while deployed to Iraq. The idea that we were already dead. We actually took it a bit further and added that we were in purgatory already. That we should do our best jobs in purgatory if we were to go on to heaven.

I deployed to Iraq April 2003 and returned home April 2004. The entire time there was spent doing out job. In this case we were repairing and recovering vehicles and equipment. Were we in the same danger as the "Grunts" no but only because we went out to recover equipment destroyed while they were in motion. We usually had their support but not always. We returned home will all of our deployed pieces. Our only loss was before we actually left we lost one soldier in a vehicle accident when he was struck by a car while changing his tire along the side of the highway.

I distinctly remember the time frame in 2007 when these soldiers were going through the swamp. Iraq and that entire region is filled with hatred. It is impossible to explain how I feel about Iraq. You see if it were up to me I would have brought all soldiers home in 2004 giving over that entire S***ho** country to the people and let them duke it out. If you remember we captured or killed 99% of Sadam's leadership to include the boss himself in his spider hole. That was the time to let them just take it on. But hey that is why I am not the president.

Thank you to all the soldiers in the group for your service.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:29 AM

24,164 posts, read 38,978,487 times
Interesting article.

I was retired from the military before this event occurred. I know some families which were affected. My prayers go out to those who suffered.

Old Today, 12:05 PM

3,738 posts, read 6,733,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
Excellent post. Thanks for sharing. What I found as a excellent example of how most of us felt while deployed to Iraq. The idea that we were already dead. We actually took it a bit further and added that we were in purgatory already. That we should do our best jobs in purgatory if we were to go on to heaven.

I deployed to Iraq April 2003 and returned home April 2004. The entire time there was spent doing out job. In this case we were repairing and recovering vehicles and equipment. Were we in the same danger as the "Grunts" no but only because we went out to recover equipment destroyed while they were in motion. We usually had their support but not always. We returned home will all of our deployed pieces. Our only loss was before we actually left we lost one soldier in a vehicle accident when he was struck by a car while changing his tire along the side of the highway.

I distinctly remember the time frame in 2007 when these soldiers were going through the swamp. Iraq and that entire region is filled with hatred. It is impossible to explain how I feel about Iraq. You see if it were up to me I would have brought all soldiers home in 2004 giving over that entire S***ho** country to the people and let them duke it out. If you remember we captured or killed 99% of Sadam's leadership to include the boss himself in his spider hole. That was the time to let them just take it on. But hey that is why I am not the president.

Thank you to all the soldiers in the group for your service.
Thank you for your service, your time in hell.

Agree, it was and is a disaster.
W should be hospitalized for the delusion that somehow Western Civilization can be brought to certain S H Countries.

We should start at home by fixing our own education system so we don't end up like them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or