Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 09:05 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,058,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
If you’re an E5 for that long it’s usually because you got in trouble and were demoted at one point.
We had a Captain who came to work with us as a Ssgt./med lab tech. He failed to make major and was rifted to Ssgt pending retirement at 20. I must say that he had a very good attitude all things considered.

Circa 1980 or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 10:17 AM

626 posts, read 1,239,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
We had a Captain who came to work with us as a Ssgt./med lab tech. He failed to make major and was rifted to Ssgt pending retirement at 20. I must say that he had a very good attitude all things considered.

Circa 1980 or so.
Yes, I've seen that.
While stationed at Patrick AFB, I knew/met a former Capt that did not make Maj and was rifted to SSgt working at the Photo Lab.
Not sure if this practice/custom applies now days.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:30 AM

626 posts, read 1,239,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Or they didn't want to be promoted.

Back in the day before they changed it, I knew several that retired at that rank.

They were crusty old SSgts, but usually experts in their field. They wanted to work with their hands, not behind a desk. Nothing wrong with that.
True statement.

At the risk of being repetitive with my service time stories (my apologies)...worked with an SSgt (E-5) that got promoted to TSgt (E-6) at or near his 20year mark. Turned it down because...if I remember in his own words...."I was told that once I put on that other stripe, not to wear that green sh1t (fatigue uniforms) unless going fishing...to wear my blues and report to supervisor duties". He was a hands on type of guy and hated office duty.
He retired shortly afterwards.

Carry on.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:24 PM

703 posts, read 612,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
True statement.

At the risk of being repetitive with my service time stories (my apologies)...worked with an SSgt (E-5) that got promoted to TSgt (E-6) at or near his 20year mark. Turned it down because...if I remember in his own words...."I was told that once I put on that other stripe, not to wear that green sh1t (fatigue uniforms) unless going fishing...to wear my blues and report to supervisor duties". He was a hands on type of guy and hated office duty.
He retired shortly afterwards.

Carry on.

I retired as an E-7 but only because I saw that as the only way to make any money with the company.

I was an acknowledged subject matter expert all the way up and was wishing it could stay that way but could see that slipping away into less desirable staff and "leadership" work, and office politics and intrigue even while I was still a Staff Sgt. If I could have stayed a Buck Sgt or junior type Staff Sgt I'd have been a lot happier coming to work.

Old 10-27-2018, 01:56 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,044,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post

Circa 1980 or so.
How does that work? Wouldn't he retire at "the highest grade" since I assume his time in rank (as a Major) was at least 2 years?

Old 10-27-2018, 03:31 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
How does that work? Wouldn't he retire at "the highest grade" since I assume his time in rank (as a Major) was at least 2 years?
It depends. There are various exceptions

§1370. Commissioned officers: general rule; exceptions

(a) Rule for Retirement in Highest Grade Held Satisfactorily.—(1) Unless entitled to a higher retired grade under some other provision of law, a commissioned officer (other than a commissioned warrant officer) of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps who retires under any provision of law other than chapter 61 or chapter 1223 of this title shall, except as provided in paragraph (2), be retired in the highest grade in which he served on active duty satisfactorily, as determined by the Secretary of the military department concerned, for not less than six months.

The entire code is here: [USC03] 10 USC Ch. 69: RETIRED GRADE

Old 10-27-2018, 05:00 PM

2,671 posts, read 2,232,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Interesting changes the Air Force continues to make. This will be sure to keep a solid number of E5s in service for 20.

Sounds like a jobs program to me. Definitely a liberal-inspired idea.

Old 10-27-2018, 05:54 PM

703 posts, read 612,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
Sounds like a jobs program to me. Definitely a liberal-inspired idea.
What Liberals are running the military?

Actually, this is a time honored technique of Conservatives when they see disaster on the horizon. Rather that let the real unemployment rate be visible as a sign of systemic capitalist failure, they start expanding the military and government in general. Big Government to the rescue. Saves the free market every time it's tried. The ultimate shotgun in the closet for big business

Whew! I'm all outta breath

Old 10-27-2018, 09:12 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,058,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
It depends. There are various exceptions

§1370. Commissioned officers: general rule; exceptions

(a) Rule for Retirement in Highest Grade Held Satisfactorily.—(1) Unless entitled to a higher retired grade under some other provision of law, a commissioned officer (other than a commissioned warrant officer) of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps who retires under any provision of law other than chapter 61 or chapter 1223 of this title shall, except as provided in paragraph (2), be retired in the highest grade in which he served on active duty satisfactorily, as determined by the Secretary of the military department concerned, for not less than six months.

The entire code is here: [USC03] 10 USC Ch. 69: RETIRED GRADE
Correct. He retired as a Captain having apparently spent a few years at the level. I’m glad he was able to retire as such.

Old 10-27-2018, 11:19 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,048,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I could not imagine being an E5 for that long, and retiring as one.
Holy smokes, I made E5 in the Army after 2½ years. Granted this was a decade ago and we had super high turnover because of the wars while also trying to grow the force. It was common for guys to "make 7 after 7", and to become an E8 after only 12-15 years.

From a girl I dated about a year ago (who still contacts me every month or so...urrr) it seems to be much, much harder to make rank these days. She has been an E6 for a long time, and will be an E6 for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues