U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-27-2018, 11:29 PM
 
887 posts, read 462,927 times
Reputation: 2991

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
What Liberals are running the military?

Actually, this is a time honored technique of Conservatives when they see disaster on the horizon. Rather that let the real unemployment rate be visible as a sign of systemic capitalist failure, they start expanding the military and government in general. Big Government to the rescue. Saves the free market every time it's tried. The ultimate shotgun in the closet for big business

Whew! I'm all outta breath
You do realize that Wal-Mart and similar stores are the modern day soup & bread line, right?

Why do liberals keep people hidden away on various welfare programs rather than let the market respond to housing prices, food prices, and wages? They keep the unemployment rate artificially low because there are tens of millions of able bodied people who can just fake "disability" and not have to work.

If people are on welfare they don't have to demand higher wages (in fact, it's often in their best interest to not get higher wages and/or to work fewer hours) if they are even working at all, nor do they have to take steps to gain skills or education which would ultimately better their lives. That's the real tragedy of welfare: Without people constantly seeking to improve themselves the overall economy stagnates and less overall work gets accomplished and society doesn't advance.

Government housing programs only serve to drive housing prices upward (which is great for all those evil landlords out there), which is terrible for tenants who are not on any programs who have to pay the artificially inflated rates.

EBT and similar cards only serve to dive food prices higher. Talk about a great taxpayer giveaway for the benefit of Hostess and Pepsi! And why learn to cook in a manner that's both health and inexpensive when TV dinners are easier and when you can even shop at 7-11 or McDonalds with your EBT card? Talk about not having any sort of checks or balances (and another huge giveaway). But what do they care? They don't actually have to earn the money!

You say that Capitalism is a failure, but I say don't knock it until you try it. We don't actually have Capitalism. We have Cronyism and Nepotism! Anyone who can get their hands on a lobbyist and some legislators is going to write themselves a big fat taxpayer giveaway and that includes everyone from the healthcare industry to the automakers to big corporate farmers. I say we actually give real Capitalism a try. We haven't had it since at least 1913, and maybe not even since before the Civil War.

Whew....I'm all out of breath!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-28-2018, 05:51 AM
 
Location: Elysium
5,817 posts, read 3,095,321 times
Reputation: 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
Holy smokes, I made E5 in the Army after 2 years. Granted this was a decade ago and we had super high turnover because of the wars while also trying to grow the force. It was common for guys to "make 7 after 7", and to become an E8 after only 12-15 years.

From a girl I dated about a year ago (who still contacts me every month or so...urrr) it seems to be much, much harder to make rank these days. She has been an E6 for a long time, and will be an E6 for a long time.
That was my experience in the mid 80's without a war. While we did have a Vietnam era E6 Tank Commander winding out his final years to make 20 most of the soldiers made E5 just before or after their initial enlistment was up. I just chalk it up to branch differences. The E7s were in their mid to late 20's and the First Sergeants in their early 30's. The big anomaly was an E6 Platoon Sergeant who could not get promoted because of his weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2018, 07:56 AM
 
1,609 posts, read 690,021 times
Reputation: 2702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
How does that work? Wouldn't he retire at "the highest grade" since I assume his time in rank (as a Major) was at least 2 years?
I meant retire as a Captain....sorry. But you said he he was knocked back to a SSgt pending retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2018, 08:17 AM
 
Location: New Mexico U.S.A.
24,138 posts, read 38,895,616 times
Reputation: 28114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
Sounds like a jobs program to me. Definitely a liberal-inspired idea.
You are wrong.... No clue...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2018, 08:32 AM
Status: "Living the good retired life." (set 29 days ago)
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
5,877 posts, read 3,153,208 times
Reputation: 11864
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
Holy smokes, I made E5 in the Army after 2 years. Granted this was a decade ago and we had super high turnover because of the wars while also trying to grow the force. It was common for guys to "make 7 after 7", and to become an E8 after only 12-15 years.

From a girl I dated about a year ago (who still contacts me every month or so...urrr) it seems to be much, much harder to make rank these days. She has been an E6 for a long time, and will be an E6 for a long time.

Making seven after seven is pretty easy. Pretty much everyone who makes seven does so after seven. Much harder is making seven under seven. I just heard of the term in the past few months, as it's apparently an army term. Our grandson-in-law has a sister whose army husband just made seven under seven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2018, 08:35 AM
 
17,917 posts, read 9,849,196 times
Reputation: 17410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
If you’re an E5 for that long it’s usually because you got in trouble and were demoted at one point.
When did the Air Force start retaining people who had been demoted? When I was active, such a person was "disinvited" to re-enlist.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 10-28-2018 at 08:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2018, 08:41 AM
 
347 posts, read 216,107 times
Reputation: 1813
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
You do realize that Wal-Mart and similar stores are the modern day soup & bread line, right?

Why do liberals keep people hidden away on various welfare programs rather than let the market respond to housing prices, food prices, and wages? They keep the unemployment rate artificially low because there are tens of millions of able bodied people who can just fake "disability" and not have to work.

If people are on welfare they don't have to demand higher wages (in fact, it's often in their best interest to not get higher wages and/or to work fewer hours) if they are even working at all, nor do they have to take steps to gain skills or education which would ultimately better their lives. That's the real tragedy of welfare: Without people constantly seeking to improve themselves the overall economy stagnates and less overall work gets accomplished and society doesn't advance.

Government housing programs only serve to drive housing prices upward (which is great for all those evil landlords out there), which is terrible for tenants who are not on any programs who have to pay the artificially inflated rates.

EBT and similar cards only serve to dive food prices higher. Talk about a great taxpayer giveaway for the benefit of Hostess and Pepsi! And why learn to cook in a manner that's both health and inexpensive when TV dinners are easier and when you can even shop at 7-11 or McDonalds with your EBT card? Talk about not having any sort of checks or balances (and another huge giveaway). But what do they care? They don't actually have to earn the money!

You say that Capitalism is a failure, but I say don't knock it until you try it. We don't actually have Capitalism. We have Cronyism and Nepotism! Anyone who can get their hands on a lobbyist and some legislators is going to write themselves a big fat taxpayer giveaway and that includes everyone from the healthcare industry to the automakers to big corporate farmers. I say we actually give real Capitalism a try. We haven't had it since at least 1913, and maybe not even since before the Civil War.

Whew....I'm all out of breath!
You have reading problems. Have a nice life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2018, 08:45 AM
 
17,917 posts, read 9,849,196 times
Reputation: 17410
Things may have recently changed, but the Air Force has always promoted more slowly than other services because it has always had better retention than other services.

Retiring at E-5 was quite common until they dropped the HYT in the 90s. It was extremely common for someone not to make E-6 until that last five years. Tech Sergeant was considered the most difficult stripe to make--not sure why, but that's what the stats seemed to show and how it felt.

When the DoD opened the window around 93 for the 15-year retirement, it gutted my division of my Air Force trainers and top workers. If I hadn't been in a joint shop, we might have folded. I'm sure the sky seemed to be falling on the flight lines.

For other services, an old E-5 might have indicated deadwood, but for the Air Force, that guy was still the heartwood holding up the tree. I doubt promotions have gotten any faster in the Air Force, so this is probably a long-due rectification of that error.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2018, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Midwest
3,710 posts, read 6,720,236 times
Reputation: 5639
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
By the way, no offense to those that have, I do not think less about anyone in such a situation of anything, and know there are a lot of factors in this advancement stuff.
Amen. I knew a number of excellent, effective E-5s who were worried about getting put out because of whatever it took to get to six was not in their portfolio.

Just as some people in federal service will never make it past GS-5 or GS-7, some military types do their best work as E4s or E5s. Keep them, their experience and expertise is valuable and their replacements may not be nearly as hard-working.

It's like the mantra "get a college degree!" That is idiot advice mostly coming from idiots.
Many people are not suited for the academic--using the term most loosely considering what passes for thought these days in colleges, and that professors as a class are perhaps the silliest and most delusional "professionals" in our nation--world and would be best advised to look at skilled trades, sales, service industry, and other areas that do not require a...well, as a funny and now, sadly, deceased friend told me years ago, "We all know what BS is. MS is 'more of the same,' PhD is 'piled higher and deeper.'"

Applied often then, applies more now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2018, 03:22 PM
 
1,937 posts, read 1,327,732 times
Reputation: 3045
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
What Liberals are running the military?

Actually, this is a time honored technique of Conservatives when they see disaster on the horizon. Rather that let the real unemployment rate be visible as a sign of systemic capitalist failure, they start expanding the military and government in general. Big Government to the rescue. Saves the free market every time it's tried. The ultimate shotgun in the closet for big business

Whew! I'm all outta breath

Save your breath. It's wasted air anyway with these words. Starting with... who runs the military? Not the military at the political level. Then you posit this is a covert military expansion - no..... this is probably a program to let lesser achievers stay in longer and get that retirement check. Could be multiple reasons for it... none of them good. And all of them smelling like bleeding heart ideas.

Big business? LOL! Try again. It is always fun though, to listen to liberals advance theories explaining EVERYTHING as an example of evil capitalism.

Last edited by Led Zeppelin; 10-28-2018 at 03:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top