U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 12:09 PM

111 posts, read 81,494 times

Advertisements

There are standards for a reason. Can't stand the entitled mentality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 02:10 PM

818 posts, read 240,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Is it?

You have an organization where people may have to go off to fight and some of them aren't coming back, so instilling their spirit, their morale is rather a vital piece of it. One is not going to be effective at doing that if they have people in the organization who are reaping the rewards while not taking the risks.

If there is anyone in the military who I cannot put a gun in their hands, that I cannot send them into the fight, then they are useless to me.

FACE IT, IT IS ABOUT FIGHTING.
I have no problem with recognizing the military for what it is and appreciate it for that but not everyone in the military fights. It is also a fact that though there are people who can never be any use in combat they still have useful skills and knowledge. Why tie up combat trained personnel for those purposes? I’m not recommending combat soldiers be pulled out of the field to be replaced with geezers just to get them participation trophies.

Old Today, 02:44 PM

17,929 posts, read 9,854,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I have no problem with recognizing the military for what it is and appreciate it for that but not everyone in the military fights. It is also a fact that though there are people who can never be any use in combat they still have useful skills and knowledge. Why tie up combat trained personnel for those purposes? Iím not recommending combat soldiers be pulled out of the field to be replaced with geezers just to get them participation trophies.
As has already been explained:

1. Why tie up all the non-field jobs with old geezers when combat troops need a break from combat now and then? You think combat soldiers don't need time at a desk?

2. Even the military desk jobs are harder than you think.

3. The DoD already uses government civilians and outsourced civilians for the soft jobs.

Old Today, 02:52 PM

29,738 posts, read 47,517,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
... Everyone who comes in should be fully deployable, anyone who does not become while in should be evaluated as to if they can contribute and continue to serve or not.
I agree.

As an 18-year-old it took 2 years of Navy schools to get me fully deployable in my chosen career field. Maintaining that level of proficiency required a lot of training every year. By the time I got to be 30-years-old I was often the oldest man on a given boat. At 40-years-old it was hard keeping up with the 18-year-olds.

Part of it is physical, also part of is mental. Staying 'in-the-game' is hard too. I became disenfranchised with much of the stuff that our government does. My security clearances did not help in that regard. Because of my seniority, I was exposed to many things that our government does that are at cross purposes to our mission and intent.

Serving is a young mans arena. It is not appropriate for old men.

Old Today, 03:30 PM

5,828 posts, read 3,771,984 times
The "soft" jobs should only be filled by status.

1. Military members who need a break from front line duty.
2. Military members who can no longer serve on the front lines due to injuries from that duty.
3. Veterans who can do the work and can no longer be active military.
4 Civilians.

All need to be qualified to do the job. If you are one of the above, holding one of these jobs, then you are subject to being bumped out of it by a qualified individual from a person from a higher level . ie: 1>2>3>4. Sorry, but if you are a civilian, and there are equally or more qualified people from 1,2 or 3, you may get laid off.

That's how it should work, IMHO.

Old Today, 04:56 PM

818 posts, read 240,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
As has already been explained:

3. The DoD already uses government civilians and outsourced civilians for the soft jobs.
Yeah, good point. I wasnít even thinking about all the contractors that get used. Pretty much the same end result I guess.

Old Today, 05:17 PM

3,189 posts, read 9,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I have no problem with recognizing the military for what it is and appreciate it for that but not everyone in the military fights. It is also a fact that though there are people who can never be any use in combat they still have useful skills and knowledge. Why tie up combat trained personnel for those purposes? Iím not recommending combat soldiers be pulled out of the field to be replaced with geezers just to get them participation trophies.
If you are unable to deploy to combat the current DOD policy is that you are kicked out of the military within 12 months.

Non-combatants are civilian employees, not uniform wearing members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues