Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 08:30 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times

Advertisements

The OP must not have served in the military as I would not have wanted to spend my nearly three decades in the military with those he mentions in his post.

The military has a specific mission, it isn't a social experiment, a jobs program, or a place for old people to hang out.

How about we make parents raise their kids to be responsible and productive adults and not ask the military to do it for them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 08:33 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,059,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
As we are tired of seeing people walking around with their pants down all day I think it is time to institute a draft. I also think people should be allowed to join the military at any age. The stipulation should be that older people over 45 join more for administrative support and not combat. Also basic training would be adjusted for the older crowd.
Thanks for your service Loose Cannon.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:49 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
As we are tired of seeing people walking around with their pants down all day I think it is time to institute a draft. I also think people should be allowed to join the military at any age. The stipulation should be that older people over 45 join more for administrative support and not combat. Also basic training would be adjusted for the older crowd.
It is neither the job nor the purpose of the military to fix society's problems.

SOCIETY, FIX YOUR OWN PROBLEMS!

Secondly, those who cannot fight, who cannot go where the fight is, are really resented by those who do for when it comes time for rotation, for rest of those who have been fighting, they cannot because those positions are filled.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:24 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,636,580 times
Personally I think the draft should be used for more urgent matters like formal declarations of war but really I don’t have a strong opinion either way. However, I’ve long thought it’s a mistake not to take advantage of skills that older folks, men and women, handicapped, have to offer. Not everyone in the military needs to be combat capable. It would be nice if they were but it might not be the most efficient or effective way to run things.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:06 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
Personally I think the draft should be used for more urgent matters like formal declarations of war but really I don’t have a strong opinion either way. However, I’ve long thought it’s a mistake not to take advantage of skills that older folks, men and women, handicapped, have to offer. Not everyone in the military needs to be combat capable. It would be nice if they were but it might not be the most efficient or effective way to run things.
Is it?

You have an organization where people may have to go off to fight and some of them aren't coming back, so instilling their spirit, their morale is rather a vital piece of it. One is not going to be effective at doing that if they have people in the organization who are reaping the rewards while not taking the risks.

If there is anyone in the military who I cannot put a gun in their hands, that I cannot send them into the fight, then they are useless to me.

FACE IT, IT IS ABOUT FIGHTING.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 10-31-2018 at 09:15 AM..

Old 10-31-2018, 09:38 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
As we are tired of seeing people walking around with their pants down all day I think it is time to institute a draft.
I haven't noticed these people. It must be one of your hobbies. No thanks...
Quote:
I also think people should be allowed to join the military at any age.
That is just your opinion. You appear to have no clue.
Quote:
The stipulation should be that older people over 45 join more for administrative support and not combat.
We need functional combat personnel in the U.S. Military. Not tired elderly people like me.

Quote:
Also basic training would be adjusted for the older crowd.
Basic Combat Training (BCT) is a training course that transforms civilians into Soldiers. It is not a square dance event for the elderly....

You appear to be a person who tries to upset to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community. Your attempt of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses is obvious. Some call it a troll's amusement...

Old 10-31-2018, 09:41 AM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
Not at all efficient. Nor effective.

Where I work now, a weapons range, we are in the process of getting MILCON (military construction) to build a new range tower and operations site. To work on a weapons range and to climb an 80-foot tower, one must be physically fit. Yet the ADA requires I have, at the base of my tower, a handicapped (or disabled, or differently-abled, your choice of adjectives) parking spot. More interestingly, I had the SAME requirement at nearly every fighter squadron I ever flew in. And it always sat empty, like the GENERAL OFFICER parking spots at the BX or PX or commissary.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:38 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Also basic training would be adjusted for the older crowd.
Why? If you can't pass basic training, you can't get in.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:39 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Is it?

You have an organization where people may have to go off to fight and some of them aren't coming back, so instilling their spirit, their morale is rather a vital piece of it. One is not going to be effective at doing that if they have people in the organization who are reaping the rewards while not taking the risks.

If there is anyone in the military who I cannot put a gun in their hands, that I cannot send them into the fight, then they are useless to me.

FACE IT, IT IS ABOUT FIGHTING.
Two more things about that.

First, they still put everyone through a basic course of loading a rifle, aiming it down range, and pulling the trigger. That's because anyone in any service might have to walk a perimeter at some point.

Two, any job in the military has the potential of requiring Herculean levels of stamina, if not actual physical strength at some point in time. I was intel, and there was more than one occasion in which I wound up totin' barges and liftin' bales in my job because of wartime exigencies. You can't wait for the guys who have barge-totin' and bale-liftin' in their job descriptions.

And I wound up in a fricking jungle more than once, too.

And as I got older, the role of stamina also became more apparent to me. It became clear at 40 that I wasn't hanging as tough through 20-hour days over the course of several weeks supporting combat operations as I could when I was 25. And that was also at a desk job.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:44 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
We already have a program for those folks that need “three hots and a cot”, free health care and a learning envirounment. Its called the “prison system” and its available for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues