U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-31-2018, 02:00 PM
 
Location: New Mexico U.S.A.
24,172 posts, read 38,993,106 times
Reputation: 28168

Advertisements

Air Force Brigadier General Paul W. Tibbets IV was recently forced to retire without a promotion.

He told his subordinates not to report suicide attempts, made inappropriate comments about women during a sporting event, and pressured a female airman under his command into uncomfortable conversation about her past. General Tibbets also created a negative work environment, accepted inappropriate gifts and used a government vehicle for personal reasons. The Air Force said that Tibbets would not receive his second star and that he would officially retire.

Article Is At: https://www.military.com/daily-news/...C=eb_181031.nl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-31-2018, 04:34 PM
 
Location: Hiding from Antifa?
5,836 posts, read 3,782,775 times
Reputation: 5015
I was also in the 509th back in the early to mid 70s when it was at Pease AFB. Those were SAC days. Much different time back then.

He could have and maybe should have received a demotion in rank. He definitely needs to be gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2018, 09:56 PM
 
18,037 posts, read 9,897,913 times
Reputation: 17531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Air Force Brigadier General Paul W. Tibbets IV was recently forced to retire without a promotion.

He told his subordinates not to report suicide attempts, made inappropriate comments about women during a sporting event, and pressured a female airman under his command into uncomfortable conversation about her past. General Tibbets also created a negative work environment, accepted inappropriate gifts and used a government vehicle for personal reasons. The Air Force said that Tibbets would not receive his second star and that he would officially retire.

Article Is At: https://www.military.com/daily-news/...C=eb_181031.nl
It kind of bugs me how the press describes flag officers being "forced" to retire, o-my-gawd, without a promotion!

As though retiring as a brigadier general was a bad thing.

As though everyone had a right to be a full general.

As though $72,000 a year retirement pay was punishment.

I can't work up any sympathy. Sorry, general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2018, 09:25 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
8,383 posts, read 5,868,747 times
Reputation: 5329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Air Force Brigadier General Paul W. Tibbets IV was recently forced to retire without a promotion.

He told his subordinates not to report suicide attempts, made inappropriate comments about women during a sporting event, and pressured a female airman under his command into uncomfortable conversation about her past. General Tibbets also created a negative work environment, accepted inappropriate gifts and used a government vehicle for personal reasons. The Air Force said that Tibbets would not receive his second star and that he would officially retire.

Article Is At: https://www.military.com/daily-news/...C=eb_181031.nl
Sounds like a failure of leadership on Tibbet's part. He not only shouldn't get his 2nd star, I'd even suggest he get demoted in rank. He's getting off easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2018, 12:19 AM
 
1,951 posts, read 1,333,747 times
Reputation: 3065
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Sounds like a failure of leadership on Tibbet's part. He not only shouldn't get his 2nd star, I'd even suggest he get demoted in rank. He's getting off easy.
Last rank in which he served satisfactorily????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2018, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Midwest
3,744 posts, read 6,736,279 times
Reputation: 5690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It kind of bugs me how the press describes flag officers being "forced" to retire, o-my-gawd, without a promotion!

As though retiring as a brigadier general was a bad thing.

As though everyone had a right to be a full general.

As though $72,000 a year retirement pay was punishment.

I can't work up any sympathy. Sorry, general.
Indeed. Things are tough all over.

He's on terminal leave. He retires in December. What would have happened to an E-6 or an O-3? Probably reduction in rank.

Guy should be busted to colonel or LTC. Essentially no consequence for acting like an a-hole in the general officers club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2018, 09:04 AM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 29 days ago)
 
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
10,330 posts, read 10,479,417 times
Reputation: 13298
Officer promotions are permanent; there is no reduction in rank from Second Lieutenant through Major General. Three star and four star generals are not promoted, they are appointed to billets designated as three and four star billets. It's an important distinction because those ranks are not permanent. If a two star is selected to a three star billet he will assume the third star and all benefits associated with it at the time of his appointment. However if at the end of that tour of duty he is not selected to assume another three star or a four star appointment he could in theory revert back to his last permanent grade: Major General. More common is these generals retire and are approved by Congress to retire at the last grade they held. If they do not hold that grade satisfactorily they may be forced to revert back to their last permanent grade. That's why there was talk about General Petraeus being reverted back to a two star, his last permanent grade, when he fell from grace. The only way an officer will lose "rank" or any type of benefits is if they receive a punitive discharge. Referred to as a "dismissal" it is basically the officer equivalent to a Dishonorable Discharge.


This general was likely going to face charges for his conduct had he not agreed to retire. That's not uncommon: it takes a lot of time and resources to prosecute such a senior officer. The institution would much rather wash its hands and move on. It may feel like justice is not met, and truthfully in cases like this or others like it, justice probably does lose to a great extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:55 AM
 
1,258 posts, read 2,560,691 times
Reputation: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
As though $72,000 a year retirement pay was punishment.
He served 28 years, his last rank held will be 07 - with a base pay of ~155K, at 28 years he will get 70% of his base pay. That's about $108K and that doesn't include any disability he may qualify for.

By no mean am I defending his actions, just stating a fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM
 
18,037 posts, read 9,897,913 times
Reputation: 17531
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
He served 28 years, his last rank held will be 07 - with a base pay of ~155K, at 28 years he will get 70% of his base pay. That's about $108K and that doesn't include any disability he may qualify for.

By no mean am I defending his actions, just stating a fact.
Okay. I now cry less than no tears for Tibbets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:16 AM
 
1,613 posts, read 694,423 times
Reputation: 2702
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
He served 28 years, his last rank held will be 07 - with a base pay of ~155K, at 28 years he will get 70% of his base pay. That's about $108K and that doesn't include any disability he may qualify for.

By no mean am I defending his actions, just stating a fact.
And he probably has his "good ole' boys" buddies at the VA assign him 100% disability for the rest of his life.....smh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top