U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2018, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 190 times

Advertisements

Im looking for a few answers and the truth. I will start with this question.

I do not mean any disrespect if I do not correctly word a military phrase.

I was told by a Marine who served in the 2/9 that he was deployed to Libya after the embassy was attacked. I've researched this and have not been able to find info that confirms ANY Marines were there. I was able to find pictures before, during and after the attack on FB of this person that says he was there. Looking for the truth for much deeper reasons than just to catch a liar. More questions to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 04:23 PM

24,161 posts, read 38,964,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru3_by_You View Post
I was told by a Marine who served in the 2/9 that he was deployed to Libya after the embassy was attacked. I've researched this and have not been able to find info that confirms ANY Marines were there. I was able to find pictures before, during and after the attack on FB of this person that says he was there. Looking for the truth for much deeper reasons than just to catch a liar. More questions to come.

From: https://www.cnn.com/2013/09/10/world...cts/index.html
You should probably read the entire article.

Quote:
September 12:
Midnight to 2 a.m. - Panetta and other senior leaders discuss possible options for further violence if it were to break out. Panetta gives verbal orders for Marine anti-terrorist teams from Rota, Spain, to prepare to deploy to Tripoli and Benghazi. Panetta also orders a special operations force team training in Croatia and an additional special operations force team in the United States to prepare to deploy to a staging base in southern Italy.
1:30 a.m. - A six-man security team from the US Embassy in Tripoli arrives in Benghazi.
2:39 a.m. to 2:53 a.m. - The National Military Command Center gives formal authorization for the deployment of the two special operations force teams from Croatia and the United States.
5:15 a.m. - Attackers launch an assault on a second US facility in Benghazi. Two former US Navy SEALs acting as security contractors are killed. They are identified as Tyrone Woods and Glen Doherty.

Also:

From: https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/new...ommander-says/

Marines responding to Benghazi were held up by debate on weapons and uniforms, commander says
By: Jeff Schogol   June 28, 2016

Quote:
Spain-based Marines trying to respond to the 2012 attack on a U.S. diplomatic post in Benghazi, Libya, were delayed for three hours as U.S. government officials debated whether they should wear their uniforms and carry weapons, according to Tuesday's report from the House Benghazi Committee.

Old Yesterday, 12:58 AM

2 posts, read 190 times
Thank you for the information. He was not based in Spain.

Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM

31,529 posts, read 18,492,851 times
Quote:
Im looking for a few answers and the truth. I will start with this question.

I do not mean any disrespect if I do not correctly word a military phrase.

hmm, Is it possible that you took his words out of context?

Marines actually have a LONG history in Libya. Did he say he was the "FAST team" – for Fleet Anti-terrorism Security Team – would protect U.S. diplomatic personnel in Libya and was heading there RIGHT AFTER the attack, or he simply said he was deployed to Libra, he was "there"? I think there is a big difference between these two statements.

Plus, The 2/9 is a battalion-level infantry unit. There is a possibility that his unit was attached to a special force unit, I can only speculate here. You say you were able to find pictures before, during, and after the attack on FB of this person that says he was there, are you questioning the legitimacy of the photos? Did you actually see HIM and his team in these photos?

If he is an active duty Marine, I highly doubt he would lie about something like he was deployed to Libya. Is there a possibility that you just took his words out of context?

You say there are much deeper reasons than just to catch a liar, If he is a veteran, If you still have doubts, ask him to sign a SF-180, the form used to obtain a copy of a vet’s basic service records from the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. If he’s a phony, he will almost certainly not be willing to sign. But then again, if you are not his family member, or potential employer, he probably is not willing to sign. There are many possibilities.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; Yesterday at 02:10 PM..

Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM

24,161 posts, read 38,964,393 times
Quote:
Thank you for the information. He was not based in Spain.
Did you know there are about 1,800 Marines at about 176 U.S. State Department locations...

But your sure this one was not in Spain...

Old Today, 11:30 AM

17,999 posts, read 9,883,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
hmm, Is it possible that you took his words out of context?

Marines actually have a LONG history in Libya. Did he say he was the "FAST team" – for Fleet Anti-terrorism Security Team – would protect U.S. diplomatic personnel in Libya and was heading there RIGHT AFTER the attack, or he simply said he was deployed to Libra, he was "there"? I think there is a big difference between these two statements.
Valid possibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues