U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 04:08 PM

2,726 posts, read 1,561,021 times

Advertisements

Play your cards right and do summer school and short sessions. Get done faster, make more money, and get into the workforce sooner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 07:30 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,231,729 times
Yes you can do it. Live like a college student and you'll be fine.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:12 PM

156 posts, read 62,203 times
I was one of the first to receive Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits in the fall of '09. The summer before I worked a retail job and made only like $1,000 a month. When I started school, my monthly stipend from the GI Bill was around $1,200 a month, so I got a raise by not working. I had a little studio apartment that was $700/month, so it was doable; I occasionally dipped into my savings if I wanted to splurge on something.

Old 12-03-2018, 01:23 AM

244 posts, read 182,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
If you want extra income, you should also consider going to the reserves for a year via Palace chase. I have a friend who plans to do that.

Op, when is your date of separation?
My DOS is July 12 2020. Gives me just over a year and a half to get things figured out. My plan was originally to palace chase at my 2 year mark(I understand it cuts your MGIB/911 to however many months I served) but due to some personal matters I couldnít. I realized Iím so close to my DOS that I might as well just tough it out.

If all things go as planned, 6 months before my DOS Iíll apply for the bridge program and intern with someone local to the base, this way if the whole school thing fails I have something to fall back onto. Hopefully leadership wonít be petty and deny it(leadership at my base is some of the worse in the AF. Even people coming from overseas can say the same thing)

Old 12-03-2018, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaundercover View Post
It's doable but won't be comfortable. You could always live in the next zip over from the school that is cheaper and your rent would be less. Rent a room instead of a whole apartment. There's things you could do . But it's also important to note the housing allowance is only when school is in session. So three-four months of the year, you wont get it.
So long story short I can either stay with my parents at their first house for free. Free food. Free everything, but the house is crowded. I wonít have my own room. Our schedules wouldnít line up. OR I could stay at their otehr house that is rented out atm. Itíd cost me about $700 per month(property tax). Theyíd pay for food, I pay utilities. Comes to around 1k a month. It gives them the freedom to use the house on the weekends. Works out for both of us. But Iíd have to get a part time job for some extra spending money.

But Iíve been out of school for so long I donít know if Iíd be able to juggle a job with full time school, hence I was asking if you can just live off of Post 9/11 by itself.

Old 12-03-2018, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I do not believe you can live off the BAH. While it's true you'd get more for higher COL, I believe it balances out. I'm not sure if it was designed for you to live off of.

Your zip code would help.

Does your school participate in the Yellow Ribbon program? That would be key in getting all of private school paid for.

I believe to be eligible for Yellow Ribbon, you'll have to be 100% eligible for 36 months. Post 9/11 and YR are what's paying my way through an MBA at a private school which charges $1700/credit hour.

Don't forget you will also receive $250/quarterly book allowance. There are many more options for school books these days than when I did undergrad. You can rent texts for $25 on Amazon these days.

The zip code would be 13210. Last I checked, Syracuse University does participate in the Yellow Ribbon program. I would be eligible for 36 months when I separate.

So as far as this goes, post 9/11 pays for school AND BAH right?

What about MGIB (the one you pay $1200 into)? I understand that itís a direct $18xx/mo payment to you right? Is there any way I can use that too, during or after post 9/11?

Old 12-03-2018, 07:05 PM

156 posts, read 62,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range View Post
The zip code would be 13210. Last I checked, Syracuse University does participate in the Yellow Ribbon program. I would be eligible for 36 months when I separate.

So as far as this goes, post 9/11 pays for school AND BAH right?

What about MGIB (the one you pay $1200 into)? I understand that it’s a direct $18xx/mo payment to you right? Is there any way I can use that too, during or after post 9/11?
Yes, the Post-9/11 GI Bill pays the tuition directly to the school, and pays you the "BAH" or living stipend separately. The stipend is designed to cover some kind of basic lodging (based on costs in your zip code) and food. As far as I know it's much more generous than the Montgomery GI Bill.

I would avoid getting a job if at all possible and consider going to school as your full time job. Some people are time management superstars, but for most, work obligations cut into their study time and often leave them harried, sleep deprived etc.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:02 AM
PFM

114 posts, read 108,944 times
I'm currently going to school on the chapter 33 post 9/11, and I supplement the E-5 BAH with a work study student program through the VA that pays about $1000/month tax free, and I tutor 4 or 5 knuckleheads through the college for gas money. You might want to check to see if the school of your choice has a program like it. I'm about an hour south of where you want to go, and the BAH for the school zip pays about $1300/month, slightly less than the 13244 zip from SU. Down side is you're payed in 50 hour blocks, and like all Fed finances you do the work first and then the pay catches up.

https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/workstudy.asp

Last edited by PFM; 12-04-2018 at 07:23 AM..

Old 12-15-2018, 07:46 AM

219 posts, read 351,586 times
Has anybody retired from the military and used the Post 9/11 GI Bill? I'm thinking retirement pay plus housing allowance makes for a pretty good cushion and allows you to pay all of your expenses and focus on school full time.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:15 AM

2,726 posts, read 1,561,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
Has anybody retired from the military and used the Post 9/11 GI Bill? I'm thinking retirement pay plus housing allowance makes for a pretty good cushion and allows you to pay all of your expenses and focus on school full time.
Yes. I went to school and worked while drawing retirement pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or