U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 05:46 PM

2,665 posts, read 4,469,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Just as a note, all the Academies have a handful of graduates who cross commission every year (that's not counting the USNA Navy/Marine commissions, they're a separate case).

If the Space Force actually forms, it would probably go under the Department of the Air Force with the US Air Force. This would be very similar to Department of the Navy having both the US Navy and US Marine Corps. That then makes sense for Air Force Academy graduates being able to commission into the Space Force.

By the way, many who worked in tech fields in the services don't think the Space Force is a joke, nor a bad idea.

There is a fairly large satellite operations community and missile defense community present in all services, and the Air Force is (appropriately) focused on airpower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 05:51 PM

1,065 posts, read 731,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Wonder if they earn a masters degree in golf?

Whatís your problem with the Air Force?

Old 12-09-2018, 06:39 PM

9,061 posts, read 7,545,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
What’s your problem with the Air Force?
It’s a joke. Members of the branches always poke fun at other branches. Andrews Airforce Base is a great example of Airforce being a country club military.

https://thecoursesatandrews.com/

Old 12-09-2018, 06:43 PM

24,437 posts, read 39,536,410 times
Quote:
Itís a joke. Members of the branches always poke fun at other branches. Andrews Airforce Base is a great example of Airforce being a country club military.
So your thread is just a joke... I will most likely remember that on your next post...

Old 12-09-2018, 06:55 PM

9,061 posts, read 7,545,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
So your thread is just a joke... I will most likely remember that on your next post...
No, my initial question wasnt a joke.Army, Air Force, Marines, & Navy all have skilled pilots and they all have their own special forces. The Air Force was once a part of the Army. The Naval Academy produces officers for the Navy and Marines. I was thinking of this question while watching the Army Navy football game. The crack about golf was a joke to poke fun.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:17 PM

9,552 posts, read 11,427,309 times
Quote:
No, my initial question wasnt a joke.Army, Air Force, Marines, & Navy all have skilled pilots and they all have their own special forces. The Air Force was once a part of the Army. The Naval Academy produces officers for the Navy and Marines. I was thinking of this question while watching the Army Navy football game. The crack about golf was a joke to poke fun.
My sister was at that game and met Charles Barkley at the bar......she said he was a cool guy

Old 12-09-2018, 10:52 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,078,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
If the Space Force actually forms, it would probably go under the Department of the Air Force with the US Air Force. This would be very similar to Department of the Navy having both the US Navy and US Marine Corps. That then makes sense for Air Force Academy graduates being able to commission into the Space Force.

By the way, many who worked in tech fields in the services don't think the Space Force is a joke, nor a bad idea.

There is a fairly large satellite operations community and missile defense community present in all services, and the Air Force is (appropriately) focused on airpower.
That's true, and I see no real reason to change things unless it's to consolidate all the military space activities. That'll be a hard and expensive nut to crack, and probably not needed.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:57 AM

2,665 posts, read 4,469,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
That's true, and I see no real reason to change things unless it's to consolidate all the military space activities. That'll be a hard and expensive nut to crack, and probably not needed.
Consolidation of military space activities currently sorest, and secondary focuses, of ALL services was kind of the point.

The Air Force became a service because airpower became critical and the Army frankly didn’t focus on it.

Space has become critical. I love me some Air Force, but they and the other services-frankly don’t focus on space.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:33 AM

11,991 posts, read 6,227,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
My sister was at that game and met Charles Barkley at the bar......she said he was a cool guy
Charles Barkley? He went to Auburn.

David Robinson, maybe? I canít think of any other NBA greats who went to a service academy.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:46 PM

10,594 posts, read 7,720,542 times
OP what's your military background?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues