Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 05:10 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,812,059 times

Advertisements

You might be able to make it into the puddle pirate branch if you have your sea legs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 06:13 PM

13 posts, read 16,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Oh, now that I'm reading this further, maybe your recruiter failed you. You tried to tell her and she made it seem like it wasn't a big deal?

Was the criminal charge on your SF86 (also known as clearance, casefile, application?)? Did you tell the doctor at MEPS about it when you were asked? Just wondering why they're being so harsh about the waiver.

It could also be your ASVAB score is pretty low. I've been an Air Force recruiter for 10 years. We really only like to do waivers on people with over a 50, but I've seen plenty approved for possession of marijuana and for people with under a 50. Talk with the other branches. Good luck.
First of all, I appreciate you taking out the time to advise me. You seem very knowledgeable and I think you’re right. I never got the chance to see the doctor at meps me and my group just went strictly for the asvab. I got fingerprinted in the recruiting station, the recruiting battalion commander I personally met and it seemed as if he was fine with granting me the waiver. Yes, my recruiter made it seem like it wasn’t a big deal and that’s actually why I chose her cause I was calling around other recruiting stations but settled with her since she seemed very nice but now I see that rules are rules obviously.I got a 43 but the recruiter informed me to study and that I wouldn’t be able to join if I don’t get at least a 50 on the dot cause of the charge. That’s how the army works for everyone. Well I got a 43, but she still said we would keep going with the process and I gave her my birth certificate ssn to scan, etc, everyone’s info, etc so I guess it was cause of my score probably? She said I could get another shot in 2 weeks or something (at this point I don’t remember) but I’m not working with her anymore after she let me know I’m permanently dq’d cause I didn’t wanna waste anymore of her time. But if you say plenty under 50 are approved for poss of marijuana then perhaps they considered my young age as well? I would imagine if I was 20,21,22 it would be more reasonable to accept me into the army?
Also, I’m not entirely sure what a SF86 looks like but if it’s one of those forms I was supposed to be given, then I disclosed all of this in all of those forms. I just put “convicted as juvenile for possession of marijuana”

Last edited by Lilwoozey; 12-14-2018 at 06:22 PM..

Old 12-15-2018, 08:33 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,055,843 times
Even if your record is sealed when you turn 18, you may be "permanently DQ's" because they have your record, which was available to them at the time, and maybe they keep that information. Maybe after you turn 18 and try with another branch, you might get lucky. But, if you don't tell them the truth when they ask, you could be in a world of hurt later, if they find out you lied.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Even if your record is sealed when you turn 18, you may be "permanently DQ's" because they have your record, which was available to them at the time, and maybe they keep that information. Maybe after you turn 18 and try with another branch, you might get lucky. But, if you don't tell them the truth when they ask, you could be in a world of hurt later, if they find out you lied.
I didn’t lie to them, I’m gonna try again in 6 month when I am an adult. I will just disclosed everything that happened from pre k to high school.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:31 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,295,710 times
Lilwoozey,
I'm not an Army recruiter, so I'm not 100% positive of all the details. However, I am an Air Force recruiter. Your waiver would be easy for us to get approved if you had over a 50 on the ASVAB and if it was only the possession of marijuana charge. Even at 17 years old.

It's one of the easiest waivers to get because the Air Force doesn't care about marijuana. You can have smoked pot 999 and we don't even require a waiver at all. You just need it now because you got caught.

You are permanently disqualified from all branches, but that's the waiver is for.

I'm confused now what the issue is. Your recruiter told you to come back in 2 weeks and try the ASVAB again, so you quit?

I'm not understanding the situation because it sounds like the recruiter will attempt the waiver once you score high enough on the ASVAB?

Old 12-15-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Lilwoozey,
I'm not an Army recruiter, so I'm not 100% positive of all the details. However, I am an Air Force recruiter. Your waiver would be easy for us to get approved if you had over a 50 on the ASVAB and if it was only the possession of marijuana charge. Even at 17 years old.

It's one of the easiest waivers to get because the Air Force doesn't care about marijuana. You can have smoked pot 999 and we don't even require a waiver at all. You just need it now because you got caught.

You are permanently disqualified from all branches, but that's the waiver is for.

I'm confused now what the issue is. Your recruiter told you to come back in 2 weeks and try the ASVAB again, so you quit?

I'm not understanding the situation because it sounds like the recruiter will attempt the waiver once you score high enough on the ASVAB?
Sorry, I’m all over the place and am not speaking chronologically. I was actually gonna consider the af but thought they wouldn’t accept me cause of all this. She told me she would have given me a mother shot in 2 weeks IF I didn’t get a 50 and this was before I got dq’d or even attempted the asvab. Prior to my fingerprinting she said my record may not even come up since it doesn’t come up sometimes she said so we went along with the process even though I got a 43 to double check basically. But then she texted me saying I am “currently permanently dq’d from the army” and that was it. I haven’t contacted her since. I am gonna see if the navy or Air Force will accept me now on Monday. I’m just gonna disclose every little thing.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:43 AM

37,300 posts, read 61,105,429 times
Quote:
... Just wondering why they're being so harsh about the waiver.
In one month, the recruiters may have already had their quotas filled, or nearly filled, so they were not interested in putting in the extra effort for an enlistee.

3 months later the same recruiters might be low on their quotas, and willing to put in an extra waiver request.

Old 12-15-2018, 02:57 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,295,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilwoozey View Post
Sorry, I’m all over the place and am not speaking chronologically. I was actually gonna consider the af but thought they wouldn’t accept me cause of all this. She told me she would have given me a mother shot in 2 weeks IF I didn’t get a 50 and this was before I got dq’d or even attempted the asvab. Prior to my fingerprinting she said my record may not even come up since it doesn’t come up sometimes she said so we went along with the process even though I got a 43 to double check basically. But then she texted me saying I am “currently permanently dq’d from the army” and that was it. I haven’t contacted her since. I am gonna see if the navy or Air Force will accept me now on Monday. I’m just gonna disclose every little thing.
Sounds like she wanted to roll the dice hoping she wouldn't have to do a waiver. Sorry that happened. You should be able to get a waiver, just do the leg work talking with other recruiters/branches, etc.

Old 12-15-2018, 04:55 PM

25,402 posts, read 17,082,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilwoozey View Post
I spent 9 wonderful years in the navy many years ago. I made lifelong friends that I still see nearly every year, even though it goes back to 1971!

So. If I were you I would put the whole thing on hold, dig in hard and go to college. After I got my degree I would reapply to become a commissioned officer. Even if you FAIL, you will still win.
Go for it! It'll change your life.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I spent 9 wonderful years in the navy many years ago. I made lifelong friends that I still see nearly every year, even though it goes back to 1971!

So. If I were you I would put the whole thing on hold, dig in hard and go to college. After I got my degree I would reapply to become a commissioned officer. Even if you FAIL, you will still win.
Go for it! It'll change your life.
I want to pursue a BS degree but if the navy can accept me then I would go to save up some money and for the experience, my family is very low income so it would be good to send them some money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues