U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-20-2018, 08:52 AM
 
18,646 posts, read 10,224,321 times
Reputation: 18323

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post

The lure of getting what you want NOW is very difficult for a young kid to resist, especially if the young troop never had more than a few bucks in the wallet.
And could spend it all, yet have a place to live and food to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-20-2018, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Elysium
5,956 posts, read 3,228,927 times
Reputation: 4116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
And could spend it all, yet have a place to live and food to eat.
Well for a few years anyway. My gunner couldn't get promoted because of his financial issues and no going up then no re enlistment and out you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2018, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Henderson, NV
841 posts, read 511,898 times
Reputation: 2256
LOL. Reminds me of the 88 Lebaron convertible that at least 3 of my troops "owned" and was passed around Fort Campbell in the late 90s. The dealer outside the gate sold and repossessed that car multiple times--the Soldiers couldn't resist that lot or the idea of owning a convertible, even a crappy Lebaron with shiny rims and more miles than any Lebaron could ever go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2018, 11:15 AM
 
18,646 posts, read 10,224,321 times
Reputation: 18323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Well for a few years anyway. My gunner couldn't get promoted because of his financial issues and no going up then no re enlistment and out you go.
Hopefully they get smarter before then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2018, 09:29 PM
 
9,071 posts, read 7,555,826 times
Reputation: 12145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
This surprised me, from an article about the CFPB.


The Rapid Decline of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
Trump’s pick to protect consumers is throwing students and members of the military under the bus
The Nation
By George ZornickTwitter

Members of the military and veterans are uniquely vulnerable to loan sharks and scams. Roughly half of the United States’ active-duty service members are under 25, and the military provides many of them with their first regular paycheck... In military towns with a high population of young people far from home and in need of credit, financial predators—particularly payday lenders and automobile-financing firms—are eager to swoop in. The Defense Department has found that service members are four times as likely as civilians to be targeted by unscrupulous lenders.

The situation also poses a national-security risk. The Defense Department has found that financial turmoil has a demonstrable effect on military readiness and morale.

For the complete article:
www.thenation.com/article/why-loan-sharks-car-salesmen-and-payday-lenders-love-mick-mulvaney/
This practice has gone on long before 2008. Good base commands will work to educate their newly arrived boot camps (soldiers and sailors fresh from recruit training), work with base and local law enforcement, and warn of certain predatory places of business to avoid. This won’t stop such practices but it will reduce the number of ignorant service members getting caught in the trap. In such cases this was the jurisdiction of base, city, and state laws. No need for a federal agency for such a program. I find it suspicious the author of the article used junior military service members to tug the heart strings when the military service member issue it list are a local and state issue. Makes me think the piece was written to push an agenda and needed a hook to get the readers on his or her side. Perhaps this guy would be bad for this program, perhaps his background makes him more knowledgeable in the inner workings of such groups making him better to expose them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2018, 09:16 AM
 
Location: New Mexico U.S.A.
24,453 posts, read 39,572,768 times
Reputation: 28548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
This surprised me, from an article about the CFPB.


The Rapid Decline of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
Trump’s pick to protect consumers is throwing students and members of the military under the bus
The Nation
By George ZornickTwitter

Members of the military and veterans are uniquely vulnerable to loan sharks and scams. Roughly half of the United States’ active-duty service members are under 25, and the military provides many of them with their first regular paycheck... In military towns with a high population of young people far from home and in need of credit, financial predators—particularly payday lenders and automobile-financing firms—are eager to swoop in. The Defense Department has found that service members are four times as likely as civilians to be targeted by unscrupulous lenders.

The situation also poses a national-security risk. The Defense Department has found that financial turmoil has a demonstrable effect on military readiness and morale.

For the complete article:
www.thenation.com/article/why-loan-sharks-car-salesmen-and-payday-lenders-love-mick-mulvaney/
Yes... The article said:

Quote:
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau had a difficult birth. Written into the Dodd-Frank reforms in the aftermath of the 2008 financial collapse, the CFPB was created to protect consumers from payday lenders, credit-card companies, student-loan sharks, and debt collectors.
It's a gimmick.

Quote:
Last November, Cordray resigned to run for governor of Ohio (his directorship was slated to end in July 2018).
It's a political ad, just mentioning the "Military".... The www.thenation.com is just:

Quote:
About Us and Contact
About The Nation

Principled. Progressive. The Nation speaks truth to power to build a more just society.

Home to tenacious muckraking, provocative commentary, and spirited debate about politics and culture, The Nation empowers readers to fight for justice and equality for all. By providing a deeper understanding of the world as it is—and as it could be—we drive bold ideas into the conversation and ignite debates far beyond our pages.
The www.thenation.com is just a political website. Does it really care about our military personnel and it's families? Not really...

Adios...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 12-23-2018 at 09:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2018, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Elysium
5,956 posts, read 3,228,927 times
Reputation: 4116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Hopefully they get smarter before then.
I remember arguing with the company commander that bustling my gunner, who was in a Sergeant's postion, from Spec 4 to PFC would do nothing to stop his wife from writing bad checks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2018, 11:03 PM
 
18,646 posts, read 10,224,321 times
Reputation: 18323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I remember arguing with the company commander that bustling my gunner, who was in a Sergeant's postion, from Spec 4 to PFC would do nothing to stop his wife from writing bad checks.
Nothing more frustrating than having a good troop with a sorry spouse. In my experience, men make some of the worst military spouses, but I did have one airman whose wife got him investigated by the OSI because of her blackmarketeering. This was in the Philippines, she was a Filipina, and she would not understand that she couldn't shop for her relatives in the BX and Commissary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2018, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Hawaii/Alabama
1,643 posts, read 3,025,949 times
Reputation: 4126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Nothing more frustrating than having a good troop with a sorry spouse. In my experience, men make some of the worst military spouses, but I did have one airman whose wife got him investigated by the OSI because of her blackmarketeering. This was in the Philippines, she was a Filipina, and she would not understand that she couldn't shop for her relatives in the BX and Commissary.
Back in the 80s I was dating my now DH in Germany. His family was stationed there and his sister just loved to float bad checks.

These were the days when the cashier at the PX/Comm/shoppette used a printed list to see if the person was on the bad check list. Unfortunately, her SSN was only 1 digit off from her brother's and the cashier would not just look and see the difference. I cannot count the times he had to wait for the manager (with everyone staring at the "deadbeat" soldier) to verify the different SSNs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2018, 12:37 PM
Status: "Tinsel, not just for decoration" (set 10 days ago)
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
32,577 posts, read 40,000,780 times
Reputation: 41232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Yes... The article said:



It's a gimmick.



It's a political ad, just mentioning the "Military".... The www.thenation.com is just:



The www.thenation.com is just a political website. Does it really care about our military personnel and it's families? Not really...

Adios...
You have to remember who the Original Poster/Thread Starter is. She saw " Trump" in the headline and linked it by reflex assuming it was a negative article and without having any background knowledge about the decades old issue of some military members having money management and credit problems.

Note, she hasn't returned since some of us gave her some background.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top