U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 05:24 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,494,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You have to remember who the Original Poster/Thread Starter is. She saw " Trump" in the headline and linked it by reflex assuming it was a negative article and without having any background knowledge about the decades old issue of some military members having money management and credit problems.

Note, she hasn't returned since some of us gave her some background.
Thanks. I just had to read one of her posts to understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2018, 09:11 AM

9,166 posts, read 5,011,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
Back in the 80s I was dating my now DH in Germany. His family was stationed there and his sister just loved to float bad checks.

These were the days when the cashier at the PX/Comm/shoppette used a printed list to see if the person was on the bad check list. Unfortunately, her SSN was only 1 digit off from her brother's and the cashier would not just look and see the difference. I cannot count the times he had to wait for the manager (with everyone staring at the "deadbeat" soldier) to verify the different SSNs.

Ooooh, that was one case I had that went on and on and at the start, they had the leadership, including me, convinced that it was not deliberate.

Fast forward when it was all coming down to blows with not only the Navy breathing down their neck but the County as well. I was with them in county court when they told the judge they would make an agreement with the county attorney to pay all the people cheated. Then I was there when they opted for an OTH discharge and they were going to skip out on their deal.

The thing was I could not alert the county attorney of this; I worked for the Navy, not for him. I had to remain silent to those outside the Navy of what I knew was going to happen. The servicemember was discharged and thrown off the station.

A few months later, though, they were back, as the spouse of another servicemember. What I couldn't tell the county I could tell various commands. I was not only the senior LEO of the station but also the officer responsible for base security and it was quite in my ball park to inform area commanders of threats to their commands. So I was on the phone talking to the XO of married servicemember, to the exchange officer, and anyone else who faced potential theft from the bad check writer.

One little bit of justice to said writer. Before they were tossed out of the Navy, they did a stint at the east coast CCU which they passed. They were about ready to get on the airplane to come back to me when Hurricane Hugo shut down the airport and they spent the next week filling sand bags.

Old 12-25-2018, 10:15 AM

1,643 posts, read 3,025,949 times
TamaraSavannah~

Do you know what made the whole thing worse? We were MPs. Thankfully, his Command knew of the situation and they took the time to actually look at the SSN.

I ended up just paying for everything when we were together; it was faster and I didn't have to wait with people just staring at us.

Old 12-25-2018, 10:38 AM

9,166 posts, read 5,011,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
TamaraSavannah~

Do you know what made the whole thing worse? We were MPs. Thankfully, his Command knew of the situation and they took the time to actually look at the SSN.

I ended up just paying for everything when we were together; it was faster and I didn't have to wait with people just staring at us.

Are you sure we aren't mirror reflections? The servicemember in question was part of my department until they were out of the Navy.

One of the issues of it was that they were in a position that was very needed and very hard to fill, so a lot of energy was spent trying to recover them. As I say, the day, the moment when I found out they weren't recoverable for that position.....

......."in my mind's eye, I was this trestle rail road bridge that I had tried so hard to save fall into the deep valley below in a great big ball of dust."......

Oh, well!

Old Today, 04:36 AM

693 posts, read 290,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Fort Riley had a Division CSM retire and go to work for a predatory lender. He'd always "accidentally" throw in his rank. Telling him to pound sand was always fun.
Wow, sure brings back memories...I'd wanted a career but very, very quickly found out that there are quite a few unscrupulous recta in the ranks...higher-ups, most of all!!

Got out soon as I could once I realized that....

Old Today, 09:09 AM

24,453 posts, read 39,572,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
This surprised me, from an article about the CFPB.

The Rapid Decline of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
Trump’s pick to protect consumers is throwing students and members of the military under the bus
The Nation
By George ZornickTwitter

Members of the military and veterans are uniquely vulnerable to loan sharks and scams. Roughly half of the United States’ active-duty service members are under 25, and the military provides many of them with their first regular paycheck... In military towns with a high population of young people far from home and in need of credit, financial predators—particularly payday lenders and automobile-financing firms—are eager to swoop in. The Defense Department has found that service members are four times as likely as civilians to be targeted by unscrupulous lenders.

The situation also poses a national-security risk. The Defense Department has found that financial turmoil has a demonstrable effect on military readiness and morale.

For the complete article:
www.thenation.com/article/why-loan-sharks-car-salesmen-and-payday-lenders-love-mick-mulvaney/
Why would you be surprised?

Currently, the lowest pay that the lowest ranking United States Armed Forces person can start as is $1,680.83 per month. If they only work 40 hours a week, that would be about 10 bucks per hour...

They are provided food and housing.

They get free medical care.

But they can have a difficult life...

It is possible to join the United States Armed Forces at age 17.

How many other 17 year olds do you know who have it that good?

There are other good as well as bad advantages...

The United States Armed Forces has over 1,300,000 active personnel...

Yes, some of them are "easy prey for scams?". They are provided a variety of training programs. Some of them an attempt to advise them of vulnerabilities in the outside world. Nothing in life is perfect...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues