U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 02:04 PM

821 posts, read 239,522 times

Advertisements

Looks like the problems started when Military housing was privatized. Those companies have to make a profit regardless of the service they provide. Personally, I think there are just some things that Civil Service does better. Taking care of Military families is one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 02:08 PM

32,550 posts, read 39,948,785 times
DoD here built some housing off base for enlisted rates. In the middle of what is often described as a ghetto. In the second worst school system in the state.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:10 PM

10,593 posts, read 7,716,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Base housing should meet the same standards as the cities the base is located near. Base housing doesnít need to be fancy. It just needs to provide a roof that doesnít leak, heating and cooling system that works without blowing mold throughout the house, working plumbing, and electrical that isnít going to cause an electrical fire from shoddy work.
Yes yes. No one disagrees about this. It's not the huge disaster your brain and this article has made it out to be. Actually, the article is fairly rational. Balfour Beatty is suing the plumbing contractor that did the shoddy work which caused the problem.

The people who manage the contracts can (and should) certainly be more vigilant. The supervisors of the technicians doing the work could, too. But hey, there's still a wait to get in base housing. It's not a slum by any means.

I'm currently in former base housing. Probably the only place in town with backyard, garage, allows pets for the price. W/D hookup in the kitchen. I'm content. Same in Hawaii. Great deal for the price.

Rest assured, the govt contractor will fix the problems.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:11 PM

9,058 posts, read 7,541,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
Looks like the problems started when Military housing was privatized. Those companies have to make a profit regardless of the service they provide. Personally, I think there are just some things that Civil Service does better. Taking care of Military families is one of them.
Then explain why base housing was so horrible before privatization. I believe the problem in both cases is corruption and lack of independent oversight and code inspections and enforcement.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:33 PM

926 posts, read 492,127 times
You are ALWAYS better off using your BAH off base. Always. With base housing all of your housing allowance goes toward your dwelling and the only advantage is what? A short commute? That's something I advocate a lot in my current life, but living on base surrounded by only other people in the military just isn't the way I would want to live.

When I was getting BAH I would always live off base and pocket the 30-40% that I wouldn't spend (example: $898 BAH as and E4 in North Carolina and only paying $450 for an apartment and around $30 for all utilities). That goes a long way and a young man getting that is able to sock away a lot of money into investments at a young age to get that early churn.

The system sucks, but I don't recall anyone ever being forced to live on base. The people really getting screwed in all of it are unmarried soldiers. In what other profession is anyone paid extra (oftentimes 50% to 100% more!!!) just to be married plus even more to have kids?!

Quote:
Then explain why base housing was so horrible before privatization. I believe the problem in both cases is corruption and lack of independent oversight and code inspections and enforcement.
It's a "tragedy of the commons" and happen whenever bureaucracy is involved. A private landowner has an incentive to maintain his own house whether he plans to live there for the long haul or to sell to someone else. An apartment complex has an incentive to maintain their property no matter who is renting it and will enforce renters keeping up their responsibilities to not destroy the place with consequences for non-compliance.

But what about base housing? Sure there are some rules, but are they really being enforced or is the next family going to inherit the mess left by the previous one? Is base housing going to maintain the property or take care of maintenance issues? I've heard of huge problems with that not being done whereas an apartment complex not only has a financial incentive, but also a legal incentive to fix issues immediately. A private landowner also has an incentive to tackle issues as they arise as soon as they fester, but this is not so whenever one comes up against red tape?

Old 12-24-2018, 04:03 PM

3,249 posts, read 9,393,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
You are ALWAYS better off using your BAH off base. Always.
Not if you're an E-1 with a family of 6 in an area where BAH won't get you 4 bedrooms. Not if you have terrible credit can not get approved for a loan or rent application. Not if you're in a high crime area, or an area with a terrible school system and living off base means no DoD School. Just a couple examples.

Old 12-24-2018, 04:06 PM

3,249 posts, read 9,393,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I've been stationed at multiple bases that required people who were renting off post to move on post.

And most senior leaders in Army units are required to live on post. E-9 and O-6.
OK, I admit my answers are Air Force specific. Anyone over E-4 that isn't like a base commander in the Air Force doesn't have to live on base. I do stand corrected, I think maybe the CMSAF is required to live on base, and base commanders. Maybe some E-9s. Vast majority, there is no such requirement. May be different in the different branches. But valid, some people in the highest of the high ranks may have to live on base.

Old 12-24-2018, 04:25 PM

10,593 posts, read 7,716,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Not if you're an E-1 with a family of 6 in an area where BAH won't get you 4 bedrooms. Not if you have terrible credit can not get approved for a loan or rent application. Not if you're in a high crime area, or an area with a terrible school system and living off base means no DoD School. Just a couple examples.
Ah if only there were DoD schools left in the CONUS.

Also, a deploying service member would have their family in a secure community (even the non-gated) surrounded by like-minded families. But this is off topic.

Base housing follows the same standards and codes as the civilian world. Don't forget, it's tax payer money. We can't build all new. Some facilities are older and not as shiny.

Old 12-24-2018, 04:32 PM

18,616 posts, read 10,201,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Yep. Live off base at Bolling or Hickam as married junior enlisted? No way. Not unless the spouse is a Congresscritter.

Or a lobbyist.

Old 12-24-2018, 05:01 PM

18,616 posts, read 10,201,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Also, a deploying service member would have their family in a secure community (even the non-gated) surrounded by like-minded families. But this is off topic.

Base housing follows the same standards and codes as the civilian world. Don't forget, it's tax payer money. We can't build all new. Some facilities are older and not as shiny.
I was an Army brat before being career Air Force, so I had the experience of both a dependent and the sponsor.

Whether we lived on base or off, my father always put us in the area that other military folk lived. Depending on the surroundings--and few bases are surrounded by upper-middle class areas--the fact of a neighborhood being fully employed makes a significant difference in its character. That gave me what I call a "well-ordered" childhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues