U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 04:01 PM

2,902 posts, read 1,644,591 times

Advertisements

For much of my Army career, if there was a glut of open housing, the word would go out to move to post. They'd even make you bring in a copy of your lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 04:07 PM

19,207 posts, read 10,652,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
For much of my Army career, if there was a glut of open housing, the word would go out to move to post. They'd even make you bring in a copy of your lease.
Yeah, that happens in the Air Force or any service. Bad things happen that the installation commander doesn't want to happen if he or she lets family housing fall too far too long below the legal vacancy limit.

Old 12-24-2018, 04:21 PM

2,902 posts, read 1,644,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Yeah, that happens in the Air Force or any service. Bad things happen that the installation commander doesn't want to happen if he or she lets family housing fall too far too long below the legal vacancy limit.
There used to be (not sure if it exists anymore as I ceased to be important in 2006) a law that specified how much base/post housing was required based on installation max population. It could not exceed that number. I guess to keep locals happy.

Old 12-24-2018, 06:25 PM

6,750 posts, read 3,743,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
Looks like the problems started when Military housing was privatized. Those companies have to make a profit regardless of the service they provide. Personally, I think there are just some things that Civil Service does better. Taking care of Military families is one of them.

You should have seen the base housing at Camp Lejeune in the 70s, long before it was privatized. Welfare queens had better housing.

Old 12-24-2018, 06:33 PM

6,750 posts, read 3,743,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

They tried to fix that problem by allowing military retirees to rent on base housing. Although I can't imagine why I'd want to do that. I never had any desire to live in base housing while I was in.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:17 PM

10,984 posts, read 8,065,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
You should have seen the base housing at Camp Lejeune in the 70s, long before it was privatized. Welfare queens had better housing.
First the MarineCorps treated people like they were expendable - in a sense, maybe every sense, they were.
Second, Lejeune!! How toxic is that place? So much cancer! Whole nother topic.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:20 PM

10,984 posts, read 8,065,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
They tried to fix that problem by allowing military retirees to rent on base housing. Although I can't imagine why I'd want to do that. I never had any desire to live in base housing while I was in.
There are areas that I'd gladly live in base housing. Hickham is one, then I was looking at a job in DC. Staying on base would have been right next door to work in an otherwise craepy area

Old 12-24-2018, 11:45 PM

2,667 posts, read 1,002,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
https://www.militarytimes.com/pay-be...chronic-leaks/

Is the system so corrupt that itís impossible to build and maintain safe military family housing?
Yes the system is very corrupt. That increase in the orange man's military spending had better go to building modern homes for their soldiers and put the stupid wall on hold.

Old 12-24-2018, 11:53 PM

19,207 posts, read 10,652,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
There are areas that I'd gladly live in base housing. Hickham is one, then I was looking at a job in DC. Staying on base would have been right next door to work in an otherwise craepy area
Yep I've mentioned both Hickam and Bolling as places I'd rather live on base.

Old 12-25-2018, 06:25 AM

3,528 posts, read 698,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
Looks like the problems started when Military housing was privatized. Those companies have to make a profit regardless of the service they provide. Personally, I think there are just some things that Civil Service does better. Taking care of Military families is one of them.
Not familiar with US standards, but the Canadian PMQs (Permanent Marriage Quarters) back in the 70's were horrible WW2 "Levittown" style houses. Bad insulation, bad design, just not nice to live in. They are much better now, as the old PMQs are long gone. So are the rental rates.

For a family, if on base, they will not be over 25% of income, however, in all cases, with that exception, the rates will match what the local area fair market value of rentals are. Canadian military gets paid substantially more than US. Pay chart.

As example a Corporal starting rate is $5012/month ranging up to $6646.

A Major starts at $10048 and goes to $10611.

When deployed to an area such as Afghanistan, Canadian forces members do not pay income tax, plus danger pay and other allowances.

Most military I know (I lived near a large base), buy a house as soon as possible. If transferred, all costs associated with the sale are absorbed by the DOD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues