Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2019, 02:43 PM

29,484 posts, read 22,552,140 times

Advertisements

May the memory of his bravery live on forever.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nor/3285665002

Quote:
An American soldier who gave his life to protect three comrades from a suicide bomber in Iraq will receive a posthumous Medal of Honor on Wednesday at the White House.
Split-Second Bravery: Soldiers Recount Fallen Comrade’s Medal of Honor Heroism

Quote:
A struggle soon ensued between one of the men and Atkins, who used hand-to-hand combat techniques to subdue him, Aijo said.

"All of the sudden, I see Travis wrap the guy up, and he lifts him up, and he slams him to the ground," Aijo said. "Honestly, the first thought that crossed my head was how impressive the slam was."

But something was wrong, Aijo said. "Once they hit the ground, the way Travis began positioning his body, it seemed strange to me. I didn't know what was going on."

Atkins was still holding the man down, but positioning himself more toward the other soldiers, Aijo said.

"Mind you our medic is feet away, I am feet away up in the gun turret," he said. "That's when the detonation happened."

Suicide bombers were not common in the area Atkins' unit operated, Aijo said.

"It all happened so quickly, that my initial thought was that maybe they had hit or rolled onto an [improvised explosive device] ... maybe artillery, mortars -- something," Aijo said. "It didn't become more clear to me until the second man came around and he also detonated."

The unit later learned that the men were using grenade-detonated suicide vests, Aijo said.

"Travis would have seen that; it would have been clearly obvious and he had that split second to make that decision. And that was the decision he made -- to sacrifice himself so that we could all live," Aijo said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 09:39 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,676,866 times
U.S. Army Staff Sergeant Travis Atkins. A true hero.

I read the above articles. I am pretty much speechless.

An article from the U.S. Department of Defense:

https://www.defense.gov/explore/stor...travis-atkins/
March 25, 2019 | BY Katie Lange

Quote:
For some people, the military is a calling. That was the case for Army Staff Sgt. Travis Atkins, who reenlisted during the height of the Iraq War after a break in service. It was a decision that led to his death, but his dedication to the cause saved the lives of three of his fellow soldiers, and those actions are now earning him the Medal of Honor.
The article goes on...

May Sergeant Atkins rest in peace.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:12 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,005,851 times
I really wish this website had a "salute" icon...……...if anyone deserves it it is Atkins.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:54 AM

39,087 posts, read 27,509,400 times
He's truly a hero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues