U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 03:11 PM

13,673 posts, read 12,572,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
You are comparing apples and oranges of radar usage.

In one case, you are talking about an wide sweep air search radar. In another case, you are trying to apply the same to a seeker head with a limited area.

The other thing is the P-3 doesn't care as much if its radar sweep is detected by the submarine because most subs don't carry AA to fight back with. The anti-ship missile "does care" if it is detected because that can mean potential death.

It is not the same thing.
Uh no, I am stating radar advancement and capabilities, that is all and is a separate discussion from defensive capabilities. Radars do in fact have the technology to detect small objects in a high sea state. In this context, an amphib warship is over 40 thousands tons, they are pretty big, a radar of any kind would have zero issue locating such a large ship, you could do it with a Furuno, lol.

Anti-ship missiles use active radar, they will be detected if using ESM means to do so but they will be using active systems. Anti-missile defense primary uses active radar but can use passive for tracking and destroying the incoming missiles (there is a variety of anti-missile defense layers). Last line of defense sea whiz systems uses active radar. The use of active radar by anti-ship missiles is why there is development in reducing the radar signature of ships, i.e. stealth ships. Even further out, aircraft are the primary form of missile defense.

P-3's actually do care if they are detected by a sub, lol, can tell you never were on these ops before (or have you? because it would be odd to think a person that has such experience would never think a P-3 should not care if it is detected or not). A P-3 will stay rather silent till it is on station, emitting no electronic emissions, using passive only. The doppler they use is narrow, not wide sweeping as you state. But the P-3 has an arsenal of abilities at its disposal to use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 04:40 PM

10,082 posts, read 8,261,639 times
I was in the Amphib Navy for a while, back in the 60s. I participated in the Invasion of DomRep. Girls in bikinis waved at us as we came ashore!

Old 01-05-2019, 06:22 PM

10,712 posts, read 7,806,828 times
It's the coolest thing ever! They've got some amazing water crafts now. Heck yeah! Be prepared for anything!

Old 01-06-2019, 08:31 AM

8,237 posts, read 8,256,125 times
P3 and now the P8 Poseidon are equipped with that nasty little thing called a Harpoon.... They don't care about sea state.....

They are actually pretty cool to launch

https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/th...mis-1727412320

Old 01-11-2019, 04:25 PM

1,075 posts, read 474,974 times
I think it's important to have as many options and tools available as possible.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:33 PM

9,151 posts, read 7,619,966 times
I wouldn’t want the Navy to completely abandon their amphibious assault ships. They’ve made great strides in making some of their amphibious multipurpose like the helicopter carriers with landing craft well decks. Besides amphibious assaults, they also offer med evac, operating rooms, medical wards, casualty overflow, and are used in response to natural disasters. Those small amphibs made just for coastal landings have been slowly going away. Those types of landing craft just aren’t that viable in today’s warfare.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:07 PM

9,981 posts, read 7,720,503 times
I was going to say drones but post #25 beat me to it.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:22 PM

1,075 posts, read 474,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I was going to say drones but post #25 beat me to it.

I'm an air force guy.... Drones are all well and fine but they aren't the end all be all. Their have their role and they are good at it. They cannot do more than they are capable of. But at the end of the day You need people to have boots on the ground and to take territory by force if necessary and to hold it as needed. There is no substitute for that.

We are a combinded arms military which increases our effectiveness. Each branch is great at their core tasks and they all have a purpose.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:59 PM

13,626 posts, read 43,465,419 times
Well, to get back on topic - I would say that for certain situations and certain "types" of enemy beach, yeah, an amphibious assault could work. It has to be done right with a considerable amount of aggressiveness and speed, it has to be big enough to make throwing them off the beach too hard for the enemy to do.

Yeah, in some circumstances, it probably still works.

I don't think it can be made to work in just any circumstances. And some enemies, some who are sufficiently prepared, it would be at least damn difficult to pull off.

I do think most of the major world powers, who all participated in WWII, are guilty of preparing to re-fight WWII rather than think about what new technologies and techniques are going to be like. For example, drones. Large numbers of anti-personnel drones could defeat an amphibious assault, like a bunch of cybernetic hornets. You put out enough drones, the assault fails. Unless the attacker figures out a way to armor the troops against the drones, and/or has some sort of "drone denial" technology on the ship, that can stop the drones.

As to firing missiles at ships - in certain conditions, yeah, a single missile hit can disable if not outright sink even a large ship. Google RAMOS for example. Or Harpoon. And, yeah, it's a much easier problem to target a multi-ton, slow moving ship with a missile, than it is to shoot down an incoming missile. Shooting down one incoming missile is not impossible, although, like the drones, if there are enough of them, it borders on impossible.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:07 AM

1,865 posts, read 676,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I do think it is a rather outdated concept as many are thinking, i.e. WW2 style.

Any country having anything remotely close to a modern military, will easily repel such thing, or make them highly costly to the invading force. A modern military will simply destroy the slow, large, almost stationary ships used to launch the invasion, as anti-ship missile tech has come a long, long way to the point carrier groups are on the brink of vulnerability.
Aside from the fact that a lot of countries don't have anything close to a modern military... so what?

Just because something can be defeated does not make it a useless tool.

Does heavy armor mean small arms are outdated?
Does the fact that a kevlar vest will do nothing to stop a head shot mean that no one should bother wearing them?
Do we scrap the air force because it's not even possible to build an aircraft that cannot be shot down?

Of course not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or