U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2019, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 67 times

Advertisements

Currently I have a little over a year and a half left on my current contract and I am interested in going from Active CG to the AGR. I am currently working on and flying for the CG and have 5yrs of total active time of which 4 are in aviation maintenance.

I began looking into the AGR in my home town and other states that I would not mind moving and there are several positions available to apply for within aviation maintenance. However, I am a little confused as to how I should proceed if I go this route.

Should I contact a recruiter and start filling out a DD 368 Form for a Conditional Release and begin that process, then apply to as many AGR positions as I can in hope that I get accepted?

or

Should I do the above mentioned steps and if that does not work, wait for my contract to be up next year (July), move back home (Arizona) join the ANG and begin to apply and hope to get in while doing other work on the side while I wait?

From reading other threads, it seems that it is very hard to get an AGR position regardless of experience level or whether you were prior active duty and the best way is to join the guard, work at the unit you are interested in and hope to get the active spot one day. if that's the case, is there a way to ensure that you are stationed at a specific ANG base when applying to the ANG?

My wife and I would rather move to Oregon or Washington after this tour, but Arizona is where our family lives and would be the easiest choice to make if we are able to remotely apply for these AGR positions. Otherwise, it seems like moving to Oregon/Washington and joining the ANG would be a better choice? I plan on contacting a recruiter tomorrow to discuss some stuff, but did not know what exactly to ask, so I figured someone might be able to give some information on here.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 02:27 PM

4,696 posts, read 4,597,378 times
If you have a maintenance or logistics. I would suggest army national guard. More positions and mechanics are given FERS status so you work on two pensions simultaneously. PM me if you want to know more.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:30 PM

6,365 posts, read 3,442,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
If you have a maintenance or logistics. I would suggest army national guard. More positions and mechanics are given FERS status so you work on two pensions simultaneously. PM me if you want to know more.

Technician program is being phased out. Full timers will be AGR.

Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM
PFM

112 posts, read 107,336 times
I seem to remember ARNG AGR slots had a physical you-are-there interview board conducted by members of the unit - still in effect?

Old Yesterday, 11:11 PM

10,673 posts, read 7,770,684 times
Are AGR positions posted on USAJobs? I think they are.
If you don't care where you go, apply to all of them. You might hit a unit full of newbies and they'll need your expertise.
Otherwise you're competing with known and valued traditional Guardsmen who are tried and true. Unless you're background shines like gold it might be impossible of the street. Were you rotary or fixed wing?
You would have better luck in the army guard with helos, I think.
Talk to a few recruiters. Ask if there are frequent opportunities to get on orders. It might vary from one unit to another. Seer if you can meet some of themechanics and ask their opinion.

Old Today, 07:59 AM

2,524 posts, read 1,508,591 times
One thing to take note. I once applied for an AGR slot. I didn't get it, but was thankful because a year later the unit was converted to a completely different mission.

Old Today, 11:36 AM

24,508 posts, read 39,662,659 times
Quote:
If you’re a member of the National Guard, or are willing and able to join the National Guard, you may be eligible to apply for federal jobs located within a National Guard unit.
https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/working...ational-guard/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or