U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 05:23 PM

608 posts, read 356,918 times

Advertisements

As stated above by others, if someone makes their military experience a big deal, there is a very likely chance they never did anything worth describing. Not sure why some just have to embellish their accomplishments. More respect for someone who just did their time and contributed without having to claim something outlandish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 11:10 PM

3,219 posts, read 4,368,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
You ever come across people from your branch of service who told stories that seemed too good to be true? How do you handle these situations?
Come across those types? What I am that type?

I ever tell anyone here the story about how I crossed the Delaware with George Washington or that time I took the Delorean back in time to warn the colonists the British were coming?

Old 01-27-2019, 01:07 AM

12,125 posts, read 13,470,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
....You ever come across people from your branch of service who told stories that seemed too good to be true? How do you handle these situations?
It's not just about the armed services, life is full of bullsh*ters. You really want to waste the rest of your life pinning their ears back?

Old 01-27-2019, 01:21 AM

1,777 posts, read 851,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I personally call them out if I know what they are saying is false. I usually do it one on one, but if they continue, I'll point it out to a group.

Understand, though. I'm not talking about a 6" vs a 12" fish story. I'm talking obvious BS that any former military member can tell. Even met a guy telling BS tales that never made it through AIT.
This. Personally I take offense to someone lying to me and just assuming I believe them. I've flat out told people to their faces--the only way to do it--'You seriously think I believe that just because you're saying it, eh?'

I'd definitely call him out. It's a hard way to learn a lesson about lying to impress people, but sometimes the hard way is the best way.

Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM

608 posts, read 356,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Come across those types? What I am that type?

I ever tell anyone here the story about how I crossed the Delaware with George Washington or that time I took the Delorean back in time to warn the colonists the British were coming?
We need specific fist-hand details on those two events, as history books may be lacking some. And it better start with, "and no s@&t, there i was knee deep in spent shell casings with my 240's (insert time approprite weapon) barrell glowing brighter than a unicorn f&rt.."

Old Today, 08:56 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,610,280 times
My husband was in the Ft Belvoir gym a few years ago and was listening to a guy go on and on about some action he saw in Iraq/Iran something, really trying to impress someone. Not being Army, DH just ignored it, but knew enough to know it wasn't adding up. He just kept bragging, loudly. Keep in mind Ft Belvoir is home to the Warrior Transition Battalion. Lots of soldiers just in from overseas. Finally some solider just couldn't take it any longer and walked over and dropped a 45 lbs plate on this guys water bottle. It exploded. Everyone jumped, I can only imagine how those with PTSD must have felt. He just stood there and looked at the jerk. No words were needed. Anyway the jerk picked up his stuff and left. DH never saw him again. The soldier was DH's new hero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues