Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 11:17 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times

Advertisements

I am an officer in the local Sea Cadet Battalion and was asked by a parent this Sunday when she came to pick up her cadets if colorblindness would disqualify her son from enlisting in the Navy. She said it is a mild case. Kid wants to be a SEAL, but he is still young, so too soon to tell if he has the aptitude and ability.

Does anyone definitely know if colorblindness is a disqualifier? Thanks.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 05:51 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,055,725 times
Not usually a disqualifier, but it may limit jobs.

The test during the phys at MEPS will determine whether or not he is colorblind according to the military. I recommend he goes through the physical and if he fails the colorblind test act surprised.

So many people get temporarily or permanently disqualified with the "my mom told me I have this" stuff.

Old 01-23-2019, 07:12 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
It is not a disqualifier, but it will limit job selection, especially if he is red/green colorblind.

Old 01-23-2019, 07:14 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I am an officer in the local Sea Cadet Battalion and was asked by a parent this Sunday when she came to pick up her cadets if colorblindness would disqualify her son from enlisting in the Navy. She said it is a mild case. Kid wants to be a SEAL, but he is still young, so too soon to tell if he has the aptitude and ability.

It will not disqualify him from service, but it will from certain jobs, possibly SEALs, I'm not sure.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:06 AM

Thanks all for the feedback. I'll pass on the information.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:30 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,326,350 times
My brother is color blind and it kept him from being in Air Traffic Control for the USAF. He ended up in Base Operations which is somewhat related.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:36 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:

I was Army and assigned to a joint service unit in the 1986 period. We had an Air Force Captain who had colorblindness... It was obvious. He entered the military with the condition and he went on to retirement with no problem. I would imagine a lot of factors would be considered and times can always change.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:59 PM

I passed on the info, and it was appreciated. About an hour or so ago, I stopped by my tennis club to reserve the ball machine for tomorrow's slot, and the local Armed Forces Recruitment Center was across the parking lot. Decided to stop in and ask. I scored big time! Got a large donation of old uniforms for the cadets. Much appreciated.

A couple of the recruiters confirmed what has been posted here. Colorblindness will not prohibit someone from enlisting, but it will definitely disqualify them from certain ratings. Basically, anything where color is important. He specifically listed Aviation ratings and Electronic ratings. They also said Special Warfare is not an option. (I forgot to ask about "mild" colorblindness.)

Old 01-28-2019, 10:11 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
If the Navy runs like the Army with its Special Forces physical qualifications then the SEALS would probably not be available

Old 01-30-2019, 08:42 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
A couple of the recruiters confirmed what has been posted here. Colorblindness will not prohibit someone from enlisting, but it will definitely disqualify them from certain ratings.
Thanks for the update!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues