U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2019, 08:10 AM

9,216 posts, read 7,656,923 times

Advertisements

Reconnected on Facebook with a guy I served with back in the early 90s. He told me a guy we served with is now a command master chief on the ship his son is currently serving on. I remember this guy as a grumpy complaining E-4 who couldnít wait to get out of the Navy. Iíve known guys like this who end up serving 15 to 20 years. This is the first one I know of personally who is still in the Navy as command master chief.

You ever knew people like this who seemed to hate the military as a junior enlisted but stuck around for over 25 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 12:10 PM

4,305 posts, read 6,344,818 times
People grow up.

Old 01-27-2019, 11:45 PM

39 posts, read 14,314 times
Lots of guys "hate it" and swear they're going to get out when their term is up. Separation time comes around and they've got nothing better on the outside (and maybe extra mouths to feed). A paycheck and job security go a long way to changing someone's mind.

Old Yesterday, 07:47 AM

1,297 posts, read 2,609,606 times
MY DH did this. Was enlisted AF, hated every minute of it, got out went to school. His engineering professor convinced him to join ROTC as an elective, said it would be easy with his past experience. A semester later he was offered a scholarship. Retired at an 06. At his first duty station as an officer he was told by a major that he might as well do his commitment and get out, as prior enlisted rarely make major. May have been true in the past, but no longer. He was constantly telling young airman to stick it out. He gave many speeches at Airman's leadership school graduations and his favorite was at Dover AFB, where he WASN"T selected to attend when stationed there.

PS that major didn't make 06 and as we live in the same area now where he retired, DH sees him at the gym. He doesn't gloat...much.

Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM

399 posts, read 246,142 times
No need to gloat. The Major was correct. The chances of higher promos decrease with the amount of enlisted time. Your husband had fairly little enlisted time but was still was indeed the exception to go to O-6

All depends on what percentages you want to play.

Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM

1,297 posts, read 2,609,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
No need to gloat. The Major was correct. The chances of higher promos decrease with the amount of enlisted time. Your husband had fairly little enlisted time but was still was indeed the exception to go to O-6

All depends on what percentages you want to play.
That may have been true at the time 87ish, but luckily it is changing as we have seen an increase in 06's that have prior service, some with 8+ years, though it is more difficult. The gloat is aimed at this particular gentleman, he was an all around asshat! Went to the academy (as did many of our friends) and talked of nothing else. Demeaned any and all other schools and god forbid if you went to OTS vs ROTC. Those were are the very bottom of his rankings. He was also made DH's last 3 months at the base hell, after he initially denied DH's application to AFIT and the Col approved it. His wife also gave me the same treatment, as I was just a girlfriend (and a reserve SSgt). She would disinvite me to functions, ones that the Col's wife had invited me too. She declined the invitation to our wedding, (with a nasty note that I didn't see at the time, but my mother saved and showed me much later) right before we PCS'd and every other officer in the Group attended, as did the Base commander as he was a friend of my parents. I didn't have time for the BS. I made it a point to never, ever be her.

Old Today, 10:05 AM

9,092 posts, read 6,160,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
That may have been true at the time 87ish, but luckily it is changing as we have seen an increase in 06's that have prior service, some with 8+ years, though it is more difficult. The gloat is aimed at this particular gentleman, he was an all around asshat! Went to the academy (as did many of our friends) and talked of nothing else. Demeaned any and all other schools and god forbid if you went to OTS vs ROTC. Those were are the very bottom of his rankings. He was also made DH's last 3 months at the base hell, after he initially denied DH's application to AFIT and the Col approved it. His wife also gave me the same treatment, as I was just a girlfriend (and a reserve SSgt). She would disinvite me to functions, ones that the Col's wife had invited me too. She declined the invitation to our wedding, (with a nasty note that I didn't see at the time, but my mother saved and showed me much later) right before we PCS'd and every other officer in the Group attended, as did the Base commander as he was a friend of my parents. I didn't have time for the BS. I made it a point to never, ever be her.
Gosh, that Major was a class-A jerk, as was his wife! Your DH and you have earned the right to gloat - and I hope he wears a s**** eating grin whenever he sees that "gentleman" at the gym!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or