U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 09:38 PM

928 posts, read 325,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Yep, I feel even more badly for them than the fed workers who got furloughed for 35 days.

These poor people volunteered to fight for our country, and Trump is using them as pawns to push his political agenda.
So you prefer they be at war someplace in the middle east than guarding our borders in relative safety??

Now I've read lots of wierd stuff on forums, but this is just...WOW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 09:54 PM

30,207 posts, read 48,361,296 times
My last duty station, where I retired at, was Naples Italy. I was doing Law Enforcement as Military Police. The bases we have in Italy are bases that the US took from the Nazis in the 1940s. We have held those bases, for many decades so far.

I wore a badge and openly carried firearms. I exercised legal jurisdiction in Italy. When Americans get in traffic accidents in Italy, it is often US troops who respond to the scene. When the US took Italy we gave the locals a 'Status of Forces' Agreement treaty [SOFA] which gives us joint legal jurisdiction over their nation. They get to hold elections and run their nation, while we get to run military operations anywhere we want.

When I was in Italy I often wondered what Roman solders felt when they walked on conquered foreign soil. The locals have no choice but to let us go anywhere we want in their nation. Here stateside people would totally freak if Italian's decided to block traffic with tanks and setup machine gun nests in the middle in the interstate.

The US military is not just sitting in the Middle East somewhere. We have over 150 bases all over the globe. We rarely shut down any of those bases.

A lot of our military personnel would prefer to be stationed stateside instead.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:09 PM

6,502 posts, read 3,565,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Yep, I feel even more badly for them than the fed workers who got furloughed for 35 days.

These poor people volunteered to fight for our country, and Trump is using them as pawns to push his political agenda.

Defending our borders is not a political agenda, it's upholding the oath of office that so many politicians these days refuse to do.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:21 PM

10,270 posts, read 7,865,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
So you prefer they be at war someplace in the middle east than guarding our borders in relative safety??

Now I've read lots of wierd stuff on forums, but this is just...WOW!
Hey, maybe the soldiers don't mind standing around in the weather walking back and forth a few feet. Most won't see anybody.

By the way, there still isn't a crisis.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:23 AM

5,174 posts, read 6,258,273 times
I'd be glad to see some of those engineers coming out of West Point practicing some engineering myself. Get a little hands on experience before managing engineering contracts who knows where.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:07 PM

9,244 posts, read 7,703,628 times
Well it is an invasion through our southern border. As one who served I would much rather serve to directly protect our country and citizens than fight to defend countries that hate USA and hate those who arenít Muslim like they are. We donít hate immigrants. We donít want illegal immigrants.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:45 AM

4,712 posts, read 4,642,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The US has the habit of taking military bases during war-time and holding those bases for many decades after said war. My last duty station was a base that we took from the Nazis in WWII. A lot of US servicemembers are stationed overseas to guard US interests on foreign soil.

I would prefer that the bulk of our servicemembers be on US soil. Whether they be 'guarding' an international border, or picking up roadside trash, who cares?

Everyone complains about how our DOD costs too much, but we have become the policemen of the planet. For any single nation to expand its armed forces to cover 80% of the planet, demonstrates questionable ethics.

We would freak out if the Greek army wanted to begin exercising joint legal 'jurisdiction' on our soil, by rolled their tanks on our roads and openly carrying weapons in our neighborhoods.

I so agree with this. There is no reason for us to be stationed all over the place in such high numbers. However an answer to that is to take the mantle of the UN and institute a draft of sorts like back in feudal times. The king would require the Duke to send soldiers as part of his levy. I am just saying

Old 02-09-2019, 06:57 AM

10,829 posts, read 7,904,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Hey, maybe the soldiers don't mind standing around in the weather walking back and forth a few feet. Most won't see anybody.

By the way, there still isn't a crisis
I'm not sure if you're in touch with the men and women of US Border Patrol. Probably not since you're spotting this hogwash.
Most Guardsmen will volunteer for these opportunities. Don't feel sorry for them. They're getting a good paycheck.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:17 AM

24,697 posts, read 39,982,368 times
#AmericasNewsroom #FoxNews

Fox News
Published on Feb 4, 2019

Thousands of migrants are within 300 miles of the
targeted border crossing in Texas; Griff Jenkins reports from
Saltillo, Mexico.

2 min, 9 sec video

Open Video At Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9k66DsV5D0

Old 02-09-2019, 09:23 AM

10,188 posts, read 8,341,406 times
The founding fathers did not believe in standing armies, as they were a sign of "tyranny".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or