U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-09-2019, 09:44 AM
 
Location: New Mexico U.S.A.
24,699 posts, read 39,992,518 times
Reputation: 28826

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
The founding fathers did not believe in standing armies, as they were a sign of "tyranny".
I was drafted into the U.S. Army... Against my will. Your babble did not save me.

I ended staying on Active Duty 22+ continuous years. Of my own free will.

I got to see and experience other countries which do not come close to the freedoms my great country offers.

My parents were immigrants to this great Country, they became U.S. Citizens, and they are buried in this great Country.

If your are in my Great Country, then enjoy your freedoms in my Great Country!


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-09-2019, 12:05 PM
 
5,174 posts, read 6,259,982 times
Reputation: 9889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
The founding fathers did not believe in standing armies, as they were a sign of "tyranny".
but they did believe in militias. and they did believe in common defense. and they did experience the need to protect the citizens from any number of threats from many directions.

State National Guard units are in line with that. Sending them to the border to put up combat engineering (which can include anything current or projected in the arsenal) and information technology and info warfare are OK by me. Build a wall with selected entry points, good training for newbie combat engineers.

As a troop or a leader, you become better by doing. So go do. win-win
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2019, 01:50 PM
 
1,063 posts, read 286,914 times
Reputation: 1366
Set up tents, throw up a little concertina wire for the cameras, watch the Border Patrol do their job. Yup, great optics for the Faux New crowd. **** poor training however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2019, 04:40 PM
 
4,471 posts, read 2,002,110 times
Reputation: 3504
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
Set up tents, throw up a little concertina wire for the cameras, watch the Border Patrol do their job. Yup, great optics for the Faux New crowd. **** poor training however.
everything is a learning experience...…..even the mundane...…….
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2019, 11:24 PM
 
9,244 posts, read 7,706,279 times
Reputation: 12357
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
Set up tents, throw up a little concertina wire for the cameras, watch the Border Patrol do their job. Yup, great optics for the Faux New crowd. **** poor training however.
The military should be the muscle behind the border patrol. US Border Patrol sometimes come under fire from rifles, both semiautomatic and full automatic. Some of those firing upon them are members of the Mexical police and military working with/for the drug runners and human smugglers. The Army could use equipment to find and destroy the tunnels, drones to monitor possible illegal border crossings, ATVs to quickly catch those crossing illegally, cargo vehicles (ground and air) can be used to haul away those who crossed illegally, and the US Navy & Coast Guard can patrol the water ways for water crossings and smuggling operations. Remember, some of those caught entering illegally aren’t from Mexico nor Central and South America. Some are from the Middle East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2019, 11:31 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,272 posts, read 73,403,010 times
Reputation: 47564
You can send a human wall or build a steel one which is cheaper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2019, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Murrica
2,755 posts, read 1,577,059 times
Reputation: 1581
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
The military should be the muscle behind the border patrol. US Border Patrol sometimes come under fire from rifles, both semiautomatic and full automatic. Some of those firing upon them are members of the Mexical police and military working with/for the drug runners and human smugglers. The Army could use equipment to find and destroy the tunnels, drones to monitor possible illegal border crossings, ATVs to quickly catch those crossing illegally, cargo vehicles (ground and air) can be used to haul away those who crossed illegally, and the US Navy & Coast Guard can patrol the water ways for water crossings and smuggling operations. Remember, some of those caught entering illegally aren’t from Mexico nor Central and South America. Some are from the Middle East.
1. Turn off Fox News. According to the actual Customs folks, the overwhelming majority of contraband comes through known points of entry, i.e ports.

2. Research the Posse Comitatus Act. Soldiers can patrol the border all day. Taking people into custody is a whole different game.

3. What do you think the Coast Guard spends the vast majority of their time doing?

Now, someone is going to jerk their knees up and call me a liberal. I'm not. I'm a Libertarian. I'm all in favor of using the military for what they do well.

And use facts. All this made up stuff from both sides is just a waste of time and energy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2019, 09:42 AM
 
Location: New Mexico U.S.A.
24,699 posts, read 39,992,518 times
Reputation: 28826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
You can send a human wall or build a steel one which is cheaper?
I thought a steel wall was a good idea... I really wonder which is less expensive. Which is the best to use.

I spent some time in Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. I have been to some of those borders various times. I have crossed the borders at various locations. (I entered Tijuana, a border city in Mexico, from adjacent California.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2019, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
6,502 posts, read 3,569,400 times
Reputation: 13469
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
2. Research the Posse Comitatus Act. Soldiers can patrol the border all day. Taking people into custody is a whole different game.

Posse Comitatus relates to assisting civilian law enforcement. Deterring foreign invaders or taking foreign invaders as prisoners is not a violation of PC, but rather the primary function of our military. Just because primary responsibility for guarding our borders has been delegated to civilian authorities doesn't mean the military can no longer defend our borders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2019, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Murrica
2,755 posts, read 1,577,059 times
Reputation: 1581
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Posse Comitatus relates to assisting civilian law enforcement. Deterring foreign invaders or taking foreign invaders as prisoners is not a violation of PC, but rather the primary function of our military. Just because primary responsibility for guarding our borders has been delegated to civilian authorities doesn't mean the military can no longer defend our borders.
Yeah, I'm thinking that the USSC might disagree with that overtly simplistic view of Posse Comitatus. Labeling asylum seekers as foreign invaders would probably even turn up the nose of the most right wing judge.

Some light reading: https://www.justsecurity.org/54529/m...key-takeaways/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top