U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2019, 01:07 PM
nng nng started this thread

100 posts, read 24,636 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of donating to DAV. Charity watch gives this charity an f or d rating, can't remember which, and charity navigator gives this charity a very high, good rating. Do any of you know if DAV is a good charity or not??? Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 01:56 PM

5,210 posts, read 6,286,926 times
The volunteers at DAV were helpful to my Dad in his weakened days. And my Mom when she needed someone to go to bat for her with benefits issues.

What their % to administrative cost is, I do not know. But they did good for my parents.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:12 PM

8,978 posts, read 11,050,838 times
DAV does not have a negative rating with Charity Watch. They have an A rating. I think you are confusing Charity Watch warning about disabled veteran charities which essential was telling people not to confuse legitimate veterans charities with those affinity scammer groups. The Disabled American Veterans - DAV is the legitimate group while similar sounding scam artist use altered names (they identified Disabled Veterans of America as one scam group) that sounds similar to con people out of their money.

And to add, as this topic highlights, the confusion over the Disabled American Veterans and the Disabled Veterans of America is the point Charity Watch is trying to make.

Last edited by Rabrrita; 02-05-2019 at 11:38 PM..

Old 02-06-2019, 09:13 AM

24,762 posts, read 40,133,702 times
The Disabled American Veterans is an organization created by the United States Congress for disabled military veterans of the United States Armed Forces that helps them and their families through various means.

Their Official Website Is At: https://www.dav.org/

Their 2017 Annual Report is at: https://www.dav.org/wp-content/uploa...ual_Report.pdf

Wikipedia Article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disabl...rican_Veterans

We have been donating to the organization since about 1990...

Old 02-06-2019, 02:13 PM

4,685 posts, read 2,047,470 times
I am a lifetime member...………..it is only one of two organizations that I donate to.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:52 AM

859 posts, read 536,518 times
DAV helps transport disabled veterans between home and VA healthcare appointments. DAV also provides service officers to assist veterans filing disability compensation and pension claims with no cost or membership requirement. These are just two things they do to assist our veterans. I cannot vouch for how they allocate charitable donations, but they are actively involved in helping veterans.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:52 PM

127 posts, read 506,084 times
This is what I was looking for, my brother wants to donate his older car and I suggested him to donate it to veterans. So I called some organization today, and asked how much they actually give to veterans, the lady told me, they give veterans 30% of the price of the sold car. My brother wants to give 100% to veterans, does anybody know which organization to contact?

Old 02-20-2019, 07:38 PM

4,685 posts, read 2,047,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie2015 View Post
This is what I was looking for, my brother wants to donate his older car and I suggested him to donate it to veterans. So I called some organization today, and asked how much they actually give to veterans, the lady told me, they give veterans 30% of the price of the sold car. My brother wants to give 100% to veterans, does anybody know which organization to contact?
Which "organization"?

Old 02-20-2019, 11:41 PM

8,978 posts, read 11,050,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie2015 View Post
There are no 100% vehicle donation programs as

First you need to understand that there is a big difference between donation directly to the veteran's organization that provides direct services to veterans versus an organization that raises money for veterans causes.

The first is a veterans service organization that provides services directly to veterans. The donations they receives is used by them to provide these services direct. They may have a vehicle donation program which is often actually ran through a specialty vehicle donation administrator/operator that picks up, values, prepares, auctions and distributes the proceeds (from 50% to 75%) to the veteran's organization. The proceeds are used by that organization to provide direct services to the veterans.

The second one (sounds like who you called) is just a charity that engages in fundraising and may distribute some of their donations to veteran causes. Often they do not actually provide any direct services to veterans, just divvy up donation they receive to organizations that provide actual services. Usually they use the same vehicle donation administrator/operator that picks up, values, prepares, auctions and distributes the proceeds (from 50% to 75%) to the fundraiser. It's at this stage where the difference occurs. The fundraiser keeps a cut for themselves (can be anywhere from 50 to 90%) and distributes what they want to those who actually provides the services. These are the ones under fires for their exorbitant overhead expenses and low payments to charitable providers of services.

There are few charitable providers of direct services who have the resources to mount a viable vehicle donation program on a scale where the income verses expenses is enough to make a meaningful difference. So they use these specialty services who have the resources in scale to maximize the income from each donated vehicle. it may sound high for them to keep from 25% TO 50% but considering all they do, it's a reasonable fair percentage for them to retain. It's also important to know that when going direct with the service providing charity, the return is going direct to those who they serve. It's only an issue when you not only have the middle man administrator/operator but now some name dropping fundraiser who is also skimming another chunk of that money.

Old Today, 01:02 PM

127 posts, read 506,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Which "organization"?

jeffdoorgunner, sorry, you are right, I didn't read the whole thing

Thank you for all the information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues