U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 11:12 AM

815 posts, read 294,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
My first reaction was similar to the OP. Usually they only mess with you if they like you.
My second was: LOCK YOUR STUFF UP. If you leave your stuff unsecured and it gets vandalized you have to take part of the blame.
Third - it was in the female restroom. Don't tell me a woman couldn't do that. We've been filling urinalysis bottles since 1982.
Fourth - whoever did it is a humongous coward. I can't believe anyone would want that person in the unit. Look at the stain (no pun intended) it's left on the unit. I hope she's proud of herself. Letting things go so far. Ridiculous.
One thing about Air Guard units. They have a "small town mentality". There are members who have been there 30+ years who are fairly non-productive. They stay until they're 60 and don't spend much effort making themselves better. When everyone hits the after-hours drinking scenes on deployment, that's where you'll find the perp. Kissing up to the brass.
That's my take. I was 20yrs Air Guard. We had a sexual assault covered up.
Great points esp regarding the Guard.

I've got a friend that I grew up with who made Command Sergeant Major in the National Guard. Trust me, I knew this guy up until I was 18 and he damn near the town idiot. I think it took him 8 years to earn his undergraduate degree at a college that I wouldn't send my dog to yet, he was successful in the local National Guard. We're still friends on one particular social site and nothing he posts has changed my opinion of him. Something doesn't compute.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:37 PM

8,450 posts, read 7,204,198 times
I was in the USN Submarine Service and pranks were rampant but destroying someone's equipment/uniform goes to far. Way to far.

Old 02-22-2019, 04:33 PM

6,595 posts, read 3,622,398 times
Quote:
One thing about Air Guard units. They have a "small town mentality". There are members who have been there 30+ years who are fairly non-productive. They stay until they're 60 and don't spend much effort making themselves better. When everyone hits the after-hours drinking scenes on deployment, that's where you'll find the perp. Kissing up to the brass.
That's my take. I was 20yrs Air Guard. We had a sexual assault covered up.

My Air Guard experience was totally different. I saw a number of people separated because they weren't performing up to expectations. And I'm talking about full-timers. There was no room for slackers or those who just put forth the bare minimum effort. I was at my last Air Guard base over 20 years.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:32 PM

13,700 posts, read 43,781,800 times
Getting back to the boots, I guess the CO of the unit will eventually find out who did this, and if they are otherwise a good soldier, they might just have to buy that gal a new set of boots and that could be the end of it. On the other hand if the CO has been looking for an excuse to get rid of the perpetrator, well, now that excuse is in hand, so to speak.

I was never in, but I did do ROTC my first 2 years of college, and I worked at a prototype with a bunch of sailors, and, yeah, plenty of pranks in both, but, yeah, peeing on people's stuff was never considered a proper prank - a good prank is both funny and harmless.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:04 PM

10,913 posts, read 7,957,901 times
Probably because I was in Memphis where good ol' boys rule. Erik, when were you in the guard? I was about 92- 2012.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:21 PM

930 posts, read 455,482 times
When I was stationed at USAFA, a common prank among the cadets was to write graffiti using masking tape instead of paint or markers. But (among enlisted people), I don't recall pranks that destroyed someone's property, especially by something as disgusting as peeing on it.

ETA: in tech school, I heard of "mattress exchange," where newbies who didn't know better were purportedly told take their mattress somewhere to exchange it. I don't know if anyone actually fell for it.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Probably because I was in Memphis where good ol' boys rule. Erik, when were you in the guard? I was about 92- 2012.

1981 to 2007. Last 20.5 years were Alaska Air National Guard.

Old 02-24-2019, 07:45 AM

10,913 posts, read 7,957,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
1981 to 2007. Last 20.5 years were Alaska Air National Guard.
You, Submariner, and I have similar life stories, if I'm remembering correctly. AD, reserves, retirement, federal.
My impression of Alaskans: no nonsense. Seems like nonsense will get you killed up there.

Old 02-24-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
You, Submariner, and I have similar life stories, if I'm remembering correctly. AD, reserves, retirement, federal.
My impression of Alaskans: no nonsense. Seems like nonsense will get you killed up there.

No federal for me, except a few years. I only have military and state retirement income. Submariner was AD only and as far as I know has no federal service.

Old 02-24-2019, 02:21 PM

30,283 posts, read 48,467,902 times
I served 6 years of Active Duty, then I got out and went to college. After I finished my degree I went back to Active Duty for another 14 years. I retired with 20 years of total Active Duty.

I have never had Federal employment.

My only association with the 'reserves' is the Inactive Reserve Fleet. When I retired from the US Navy I was given orders to report to the Inactive Reserve Fleet. Since all retirees are still under an obligation to respond if Congress should ever declare war and 'call us up'.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues