U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 08:57 PM

15,018 posts, read 4,750,792 times

Advertisements

Anyway a Soldier can change his MOS becuase of Family Health concerns specifically a child , so the child does not have to be uprooted from his Doctors(heart related) .Understand I am not talking deployment , he is willing to go anywhere but just needs for family to stay on East cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 05:19 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,608,600 times
It can happen, but the reality is that the Army will push to get them out. The Army wants Soldiers that fit easily within a system.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:40 AM

5,225 posts, read 6,297,707 times
Person needs to talk with his/her S1 or milpercen ( depending).

There are several programs for family compassion, health, rehab, etc BUT they may not apply and may only apply for one tour at a time. Not to say the tour of duty can't be extended or exchanged with another SM.

But changing MOS is not the way to approach it. Spoken as a former S-1.

And as previous poster said, needs of the Army come first. Although I have seen the Big Army bend over backwards to help with family health issues. I don't think they would carry you in one location for a full career but they might extend for an enlistment or make some arrangement. I don't have enough facts to answer you really.

Good luck

Old 02-23-2019, 09:30 AM

24,782 posts, read 40,178,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Person needs to talk with his/her S1 or milpercen ( depending).

There are several programs for family compassion, health, rehab, etc BUT they may not apply and may only apply for one tour at a time. Not to say the tour of duty can't be extended or exchanged with another SM.

But changing MOS is not the way to approach it. Spoken as a former S-1.

And as previous poster said, needs of the Army come first. Although I have seen the Big Army bend over backwards to help with family health issues. I don't think they would carry you in one location for a full career but they might extend for an enlistment or make some arrangement. I don't have enough facts to answer you really.

Good luck

I agree.

I have seen and known people who were reassigned for various medical reasons, including family medical issues. I retired from the Army in 1990, I'm sure things have changed, you need to go to the appropriate people...

Old 02-24-2019, 05:03 PM

I should have added , he is a Marine , Gunny Sargent.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:53 PM

5,225 posts, read 6,297,707 times
As a marine Gunny I would think changing MOS would be the last thing to do.

Still think he should go to his personnel office NCOIC or OIC and ask how is the best way to keep my family posted in one place with proper medical care for my child? Let the experts offer possibilities.

on the other hand, some postings might be even better for the child's condition. I would research where the best care is for the child and have that in my back pocket in case I was told I HAD to relocate them. then say darn, can you help me get assigned here or there?

Sometimes what we want isn't really the best answer.

Good luck.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:40 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,608,600 times
I was Army so I can’t speak specifically about the USMC, but there is an Exceptional Family Member Program that is supposed to assign members to assign participants based on family need.

I would assume Most SrNCOs would know this though.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:22 PM

36,023 posts, read 40,636,771 times
All branches have EFMP, if the dependent medical condition or other special need qualifies. People are categorized to a prescribed level based on details of the condition, need for specialized services, limited areas where these services may be obtained, etc.

If the member's child is determined to be in an EFMP category and requires access to particular services, the family may not be approved to go with the service member to a given duty station, though that doesn't necessarily affect where the service member is sent. Families sometimes geobach (live apart) for this reason.

Somebody who's hit E-7 is probably aware of this designation, though, especially if they have a medically fragile child.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:39 AM

6,632 posts, read 3,647,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I should have added , he is a Marine , Gunny Sargent.

You should never refer to a Marine as a soldier. It's highly inappropriate. The army has soldiers, the Marine Corps has Marines. There is a difference and the terms are not interchangeable. When you come in here asking advice for a soldier, almost everyone is going to think you're referring to someone in the army. Which means you're not necessarily going to get the correct information you're seeking.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
You should never refer to a Marine as a soldier. It's highly inappropriate. The army has soldiers, the Marine Corps has Marines. There is a difference and the terms are not interchangeable. When you come in here asking advice for a soldier, almost everyone is going to think you're referring to someone in the army. Which means you're not necessarily going to get the correct information you're seeking.
My mistake I am an ignorant civilian in these matters . I don't pretend to know about the inner workings but I do find the discussions funny when my daughters who are both married to Military men, one a 1st Sargent in the Army and the other is a Marine Gunny and to hear the two girls talk about about how each one gets something done is very amusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or