U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 12:01 AM

2 posts, read 168 times

Advertisements

Okay bare with me as this is a complicated one

I have been trying to join the army for 2 years now
I had a ship date in 2018 and the week before my recruiter informed me I needed to see a physiatrist
To get tested for ADHD as they saw it was mentioned in medical paperwork from 2008

My father was a marine so as I didnít mention it to them because I didnít take medication.
Now In 2004 I was tested, doctor and teacher said it was likely I didnít have it but because my mother was a nurse she insisted they gave me a prescription; never took it, and nothing about it happened after 2008
Now, still trying to join after I missed my ship date, they asked for a record from the school saying I wasnít
Not taking medication. I got that easy. Now the recruiter states they will want a letter saying I wasnít in an IEP class.
Hereís the problem.
My mother in 11th grade insisted that I needed to be in a special education class, at a DOD high school, (my mother had her own set of issues) and they pulled me out of this meeting and told me I was NOT going to be placed in special education. Then, again after my mother insisted, she requested again and they put me for 1 semester in an IEP and after decided it wasnít nessecary. This was again at my motherís request but because they of course saw I didnít needed I was removed from it.
So, now I run into the issue of what to do.
I have had 3 recruiters. All different answers and I have no clue what to do.
I can provide a million letters from doctors saying I donít have ADHD, and provide a letter from the high school saying I wasnít on medication. But, the IEP is becoming an issue the school has already told me because of the short time I was on it they will basically WONT write anything other then me not having been on medication. . Big army does not currently know about it, but Iím afraid they could see that.
Again, regular diploma, no prescription history past 2008 of any ADHD medication nor any treatment.
I was told they canít hold anything against you medically after 10 years.
Iíve also been told as long as you havenít been on medication for 2 years itís okay
Iíve been told that Iím **** out of luck because ADHD is impossible.
I need real advice, not second hand info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:18 AM

36,020 posts, read 40,607,754 times
You aren't eligible for an IEP without a documented diagnosis of a qualifying special need.

If you had an IEP in school, there is at least one evaluation diagnosing a special need of some kind kicking around somewhere. You can't get IEPs just at parental request.

Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM

2 posts, read 168 times
As stated my mother had me evaluated for ADHD. It was used for the IEP
Again; looking for information about how to get around this, not statements.

Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM

4,392 posts, read 4,164,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrandapanda View Post
I need real advice, not second hand info
Quote:
An anonymous internet forum composed of worldwide civilians is not the venue to obtain the information you seek. There is one regular contributor who is a military recruiter, (I do not know which branch). Perhaps he will respond, but even if he does, what he writes here holds no legal weight.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho and her sub-forums, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM

6,604 posts, read 3,635,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
An anonymous internet forum composed of worldwide civilians is not the venue to obtain the information you seek. There is one regular contributor who is a military recruiter, (I do not know which branch). Perhaps he will respond, but even if he does, what he writes here holds no legal weight.

She is an Air Force recruiting supervisor. Her screen name is dmarie123.

Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM

36,020 posts, read 40,607,754 times
Quote:
Yes. Your test results and evaluation led to an IEP because you received a diagnosis if some kind. You would not have been eligible otherwise.

Your first post states that the evaluators "thought you probably didn't have it," yet, your evaluation rendered you eligible for special services. So there are some things that aren't clear, and these kinds of things can be read as trying to conceal information, which rarely goes well. If you come off as evasive about whether or not you've ever been diagnosed with a disability, that causes problems...possibly moreso than the diagnostic history itself.

You are not likely to get around the discoverability of a diagnosed disability. It's going to be part of your record.

This may yield helpful info.

chadd.org/for-adults/adhd-and-the-military/

Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM

24,768 posts, read 40,150,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
It is dmarie123. She is Air Force.

Old Today, 01:34 PM

3,305 posts, read 9,556,847 times
I have 10 years of recruiting experience, including as supervisor... While not Army, MEPS is the same for all branches so my answer still holds true for Army.

There is a lot to unpack here.
1st. A competent medical professionals diagnosed you. Trust me. They did. They couldn't have written the prescription with out a diagnosis as insurance wouldn't have paid for the RX otherwise, and it would be malpractice. You were diagnosed. Am I reading correct that you had a prescription from 2004-2008? Four years is going to be hard to overcome. If you were filling the prescriptions, MEPS is going to assume you were using them, not flushing them, because people normally use prescriptions they fill.

The IEP letter is required per DODI 6130.03, medical standards for accessions. There is no way around this. I'm surprised they didn't ask for it sooner. You will need to get a letter from the school about the IEP, when you were on it, etc. Get as much detail as you can, including when it ended. You should also go ahead and provide high school transcripts showing your grades AFTER you came off the IEP- you better hope they didn't drop (as that would support that coming off the IEP had a negative effect). As soon as they see the IEP letter and that you were on an IEP, they're going to send you back for transcripts, so you might as well get them now and avoid the back and forth.

What is unfortunate is that you lied on your enlistment paperwork and to the MEPS doctor during your interview by not disclosing it, so they're going to have issues trusting you now. You were asked the question, and would have said "no" to any history of diagnosis or treatment for ADD/ADHD. They're going to believe the medical records that show you needing treatment for more than 4 years, because you ruined your own credibility. I'm surprised that haven't asked for your full medical record to see if you're hiding anything else. I've been a recruiter for 10 years, and my experience in this situation is that they would ask for EVERY document from every doctor you've ever seen after something like this. Regardless, sorry this is happening.

The regulation says you are disqualified if :
"a. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, if with:
(1) A recommended or prescribed Individualized Education Program, 504 Plan, or work
accommodations after the 14th birthday;
(2) A history of comorbid mental disorders;
(3) Prescribed medication in the previous 24 months; or
(4) Documentation of adverse academic, occupational, or work performance.
b. History of learning disorders after the 14th birthday, including but not limited to dyslexia,
if any of the following apply:
(1) With a recommended or prescribed Individualized Education Program, 504 Plan, or
work accommodations after the 14th birthday;
(2) With a history of comorbid mental disorders; or
(3) With documentation of adverse academic, occupational, or work performance."

So, you did have an IEP- after your 14th birthday. That is a disqualification.
I am not sure if you had a cormorbid disorder (like if they also diagnosed depression or adjustment disorder).
You can overcome the medication with a waiver, but you will still need a waiver even if over 2 years ago. The likelihood of a waiver is going to depend on the entire picture presented in your medical records. The IEP remains a disqualification for the rest of your life, but might be able to be waived. If you have transcripts after your IEP showing no drop in grades (even college transcripts) it is a GREAT help in getting waiver.

Can dad write you a letter of support confirming you did fine off meds and without an IEP?
Have you ever had a job? Have your employer write a letter that you need no accommodations.
These aren't medical documents, but can still help with a positive outcome on the waiver.

Without reading your records, I can't say for sure. Waivers are 50/50, depending on how bad things sound in your records.

Last edited by dmarie123; Today at 02:19 PM..

Old Today, 01:36 PM

3,305 posts, read 9,556,847 times
Quote:
What the posters are saying is that you CAN NOT get around this. The only way to have gotten around it was to have hidden it completely, which you didn't do because MEPS found out. Cat is already out of the bag. You can't put the cat back in the bag. The cat won't go back. The cat is already meowing. No one can give you the advice you want (to get around this) because that is now completely impossible. You have to provide an IEP letter from your school, and the school is not going to lie for you, so you'll have to disclose the IEP and all the details around it, and you'll be disqualified, and you can try for a waiver. That's the only course of action moving forward.

You also seem to be in denial about having a diagnosis. Have you obtained and read your medical records? Read them, see what picture they paint. What doctors politely tell patients is often different from how records read.

(I'm not advocating for hiding things, just saying there is no way around providing complete documentation for a diagnosis that MEPS has become aware of).

Last edited by dmarie123; Today at 02:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or