Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2019, 05:30 PM

9 posts, read 11,159 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've posted about the same issue a year ago, but circumstances are slightly different now so I'm hoping someone can provide some insight.

I won a job as a musician in one of the premier Army bands but couldn't take the physical prior to auditioning. I completed the MEPS physical today, but was TDQ'd for my eyesight. The paper I saw at the end just said, "Opto consult"... I know that the DoD standard is +/-8.00 diopters. My current prescription is around -8.25/-8.5, but the MEPS auto tonometer machine said that my RX is -9.00 and -9.50. I believe the sheet also said that I can see 20/20 with correction.

I'd think that the doctor would PDQ me if there wasn't a chance of this being waived. Is that correct or is there a different path that I'm not seeing?

My astigmatism was -1.00 and -1.50 and I do not have any underlying eye diseases as of last year. There are no other medical issues. (I have one criminal offense from over 10 years ago that was already waived).

Do I have a chance of enlisting or am I more likely finished?

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 06:46 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,282,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulmusician View Post

I'd think that the doctor would PDQ me if there wasn't a chance of this being waived. Is that correct or is there a different path that I'm not seeing?
They have to PDQ everyone that they don't qualify. The only 3 possible outcomes at MEPS are qualified, Temporarily Disqualified (like for a cold that will resolve, wart that will be removed, etc), or PDQ. Everyone gets one of those 3 outcomes.

Waivers for vision are rare. I send you a PM before I saw that you were hired to the band. That **MIGHT** influence your waiver for the good, because there are less concerns about combat missions, and more of a need for the right musicians as that is a rare skill.

I wish you the best of luck!

Old 03-14-2019, 07:31 AM

Thanks dmarie123! Exactly, it seems odd that I was Temporarily disqualified for something that is much more permanent than a cold or a wart. I mean, I'm glad that I'm not PDQ'd yet, but it doesn't quite make sense to me. The only option is to wait and see I guess. BTW I am don't see your PM anywhere, but that's ok.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:06 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,282,455 times
Oh I misread... I thought you were PDQ'd. You're going to be PDQ'd.

They've TDQ'd you pending the consult. So, let's say you go to the consult and the eye doctor is like, "MEPS was totally wrong, your vision is really +/- 7.5" you could become qualified. However, once they confirm your vision, this will change to a PDQ.

The Surgeon General won't give waivers to TDQ applicants. only to PDQ. Your vision isn't going to resolve, but MEPS is making sure 1. their non-eye doctor did the tests correctly, 2. their equipment was accurate, 3. There are or are not other eye conditions present.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:40 AM

Ooook. Got it, that makes sense now. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues