U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 02:49 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,246,480 times

Advertisements

When I was in, the main working uniform was bell-bottom dungarees with a light-blue chambray shirt topped by the white hat. About a year before I was separated, they switched to straight-leg blue pants and blue shirts and a blue ball cap. The dungarees were much, much more comfortable. We had dress blues, dress white, and two other uniforms, (un-dress whites and un-dress blues?). Yeah, too many. We rarely wore the dress uniforms.

As part of my Sea Cadet duties today, we wear the NWU Type-1 Blueberries. Those are incredibly uncomfortable in hot or warm weather. More often than not, I just wear khakis because the NWUs are so uncomfortable. We're supposed to switch in another year or two to the current NWU Type III uniforms, which I've been told are a lot more comfortable.
Attached Thumbnails
Changes to Navy uniforms-img_0805a.jpg  

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho and her sub-forums, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 04-04-2019 at 03:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 03:42 PM

24,925 posts, read 40,506,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Why on earth have camouflage uniforms...to blend in with trees and shrubbery on board?
No. To blend in with the United States Armed Forces... No one cares what they look like "on board".

Old Today, 01:41 AM

36,189 posts, read 40,953,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
When I was in, the main working uniform was bell-bottom dungarees with a light-blue chambray shirt topped by the white hat. About a year before I was separated, they switched to straight-leg blue pants and blue shirts and a blue ball cap. The dungarees were much, much more comfortable. We had dress blues, dress white, and two other uniforms, (un-dress whites and un-dress blues?). Yeah, too many. We rarely wore the dress uniforms.

As part of my Sea Cadet duties today, we wear the NWU Type-1 Blueberries. Those are incredibly uncomfortable in hot or warm weather. More often than not, I just wear khakis because the NWUs are so uncomfortable. We're supposed to switch in another year or two to the current NWU Type III uniforms, which I've been told are a lot more comfortable.
Husband just got them, and agrees that they're more comfortable, but he never hated the Type-1s, either (but, he's rarely been in super hot environments with them...even in Iraq, he wore desert camo). Mostly, he just hates having to buy whole new sets every few years because they can't quit tweaking stuff. He wears khakis, mostly, too.

One thing he's never bothered with, ever, in all his years, is dinner dress. Basic dress blues or choker whites suffice, and he almost never has any occasion where dinner dress would even be needed. The few times it has been been a reasonable option, dress blues/choker whites were fine as well (Navy Birthday Ball, dining in, dining out, etc.).

Old Today, 08:50 PM

9,433 posts, read 7,866,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Husband just got them, and agrees that they're more comfortable, but he never hated the Type-1s, either (but, he's rarely been in super hot environments with them...even in Iraq, he wore desert camo). Mostly, he just hates having to buy whole new sets every few years because they can't quit tweaking stuff. He wears khakis, mostly, too.

One thing he's never bothered with, ever, in all his years, is dinner dress. Basic dress blues or choker whites suffice, and he almost never has any occasion where dinner dress would even be needed. The few times it has been been a reasonable option, dress blues/choker whites were fine as well (Navy Birthday Ball, dining in, dining out, etc.).
Showed my wife photos of dinner dress Navy uniforms. Said they looked like waiters’ uniforms. I worked in the engine room of steam driven ships. In the summer those work spaces were over 115 degrees away from the direct air vents and with high levels of humidity. Some days were so hot we were limited as to how long we could remain in the space and how long we had to stay out of the space before going back down. If we were wearing coveralls we would take them off the top and tie the sleeves around our waist. If we were wearing dungarees it was more comfortable. Sometimes we had officers and chiefs who gave the OK for us to remove our dungaree shirts leaving us in white t-shirts. Far too often we had officers like in the movie Mister Roberts who wanted us in proper uniform at all times regardless of work conditions while the officer sat in the air conditioned main control room or the engineering department offices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or