Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 03:04 AM

233 posts, read 243,424 times

Advertisements

Which lifestyle is better for the family?

Dual military active lifestyle:

Husband (WO-1) and Wife (E-5) with 2 kids

Or

Dual military Reservist Lifestyle:

Husband (WO-1), Lt. Correctional Officer and Wife (E-5), Assistant Principal with 2 kids.

Either way the wife is going Green to Gold but she likes staying in our hometown and doesnt want to travel so much. We are leaning towards reserves life because we are so far in our civilian careers but we will make a little more money with the wife moving up in rank possibly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 04:17 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,347,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.910nc View Post
she likes staying in our hometown and doesnt want to travel so much.
You just answered your question.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:32 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
It sounds like a no-brainer to me. Stay in the reserves.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:35 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:

Or

Husband (WO-1), Lt. Correctional Officer and Wife (E-5), Assistant Principal with 2 kids.

Either way the wife is going Green to Gold but she likes staying in our hometown and doesnt want to travel so much. We are leaning towards reserves life because we are so far in our civilian careers but we will make a little more money with the wife moving up in rank possibly.
The two of you will determine which lifestyle is better for the family. It is not an easy choice, you might regret some of your choices at times. You need to be strong and stay together.

I was drafted into the Army, and I stayed in. I would do it again, with some changes. I would have stayed overseas longer and more often with the family. The kids enjoyed their American schools and environment in Germany. I should have applied for WO much earlier, every time I could have applied (I waited, to my loss...)

We saw many Army and Air Force "Dual Military" families. I was active duty, my wife was Federal Service.

"staying in our hometown"? Really? We got to see the world (not all of it, but a great experience). The family enjoyed their lives in Germany so much that I extended 6 months. You know what day you arrive and what day you leave when you are overseas. I held several MOS's.

It is impossible to predict the future, so you have to prepare for changes, which can happen no matter what you plan...

We owned three houses while I was active duty. Lucked out on that, worked out for the better.

After my 22 years active duty I became a self employed consultant.

Yes, we moved around a bit. The kids still talk about their moves and friends they made over the years.

Life is rough, try to make it as enjoyable as possible...

I retired as an Army 971A W2 in 1990 with no major regrets...

Good luck to you on your choice!

Added: After consulting with my Dear Wife of 50 years, she commented we have been Best Friends with a military family we met in Germany 42 years ago...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-01-2019 at 07:50 AM..

Old 04-02-2019, 02:08 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
I worked a civilian job and did the weekend warrior thing. I now have two pensions and retired life is great, as we do not have any financial worries.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:28 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:

Or

I think it really depends on the person and life situation.

My fiance served in the Marine Corps for over 8 years and besides experiences and friendship, he did not really have any significant financial gain. (he wasn't looking for benefits anyway) His family and my family both have good businesses to run, so we are now working as a team. He has put his military life behind and we are now just two civilians. I think it works out better this way.

If he was still a MARSOC in the Marine Corps, I think there would be a lot of challenges. For me (me being the keyword and I don't speak for anybody else), based on his MOS, 8 years is the best to serve in the Marine Corps in my opinion, I don't think as a civilian woman, I could go for another 8 years with him. I am glad when he planned his future, I was a big part of it. We made sure we wanted the exact same thing in the future. Nobody felt he/she sacrificed, so there is absolutely no resentment or regrets.

We are both thankful for his military career; but it is time to move on. I know Marine Corps is a HUGE part of his life and I am glad that I end up with a true warrior. I think people who are successful in the military world are also very successful in the civilian world. I think I get the best from both world.

In your situation, I think the "we are both so far in our civilian careers" would be a factor that is important to consider.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 04-02-2019 at 09:51 AM..

Old 04-03-2019, 04:45 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,483 times
Dual military on active duty is rough on kids especially in today's environment of deploy and deploy again. Personally, you couldn't pay me enough for me to want to put my kids through that lifestyle.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Reserve life and having feet in both military and civilian worlds, professionally, has been a really good thing in this household. We aren't dual, but also have two kids. Spouse has been in 18 years. We have a 1-year old and a 3-year old. He was AD when we got married and it was just us, but has not been AD within our kids' lifespans.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:06 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
Two parents on AD IMO is never a better lifestyle for the family.

There are lots of reasons to be dual military and a lot of good comes from it for the kids, but it is tough.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:38 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Two parents on AD IMO is never a better lifestyle for the family.

There are lots of reasons to be dual military and a lot of good comes from it for the kids, but it is tough.
And life isn't tough?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues