U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 02:09 PM

1,743 posts, read 741,448 times

Advertisements

No. It's unneccessary, unproductive and stupid. There's plenty of opportunity to motivate and rate people on their performance without hazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 02:37 PM

1,027 posts, read 423,382 times
Hazing on serves to show how stupid, mean and cruel humans can get to other people.

Old 04-04-2019, 02:55 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,248,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I saw a lot of hazing during my time in uniform.

First as a Sea Cadet while in high school. One summer [when I was 16]...
I've been working as an officer with the local Sea Cadet battalion the past year and did not know this is still an issue. Since our command contains both Leaguers and Cadets, the climate is ripe for hazing. I'll have to keep an eye out and will make sure it is mentioned during our annual mandatory training.

On active duty, rising from a seaman when I first reported aboard ship to a second class when I separated, I never experienced hazing directed toward me. I knew enough to not fall for looking at the sea bat trapped in the cardboard box on the helicopter flight deck.

Was the "crossing the line" ceremony considered hazing? Officer and enlisted pollywogs alike endured the same thing. Worst was crawling through the tubs of garbage and kissing the greased belly of the fattest shell-back onboard. It wasn't too awful, and I'll never have to go through it again, (as long as I don't lose my certificate).

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho and her sub-forums, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 04-04-2019, 03:28 PM

5,669 posts, read 2,586,916 times
My brother sadly boasts of some of the hazing tactics used in his years in the AF. I find it humiliation under the guise of "it toughens em up!".

The fact that they are military and paid by the taxpayers..it's sad that my funds indirectly pay a serviceman to taunt and assault his fellow comrade.

Old 04-04-2019, 04:42 PM

9,564 posts, read 5,261,934 times
We-ll.........

on one side of the coin, it brings unity to the group by picking on the weak to take them out. If you don't want to be hazed, be one of us, be strong, follow our values. Internally group wise, that is sort of good though the bad thing is that any self destructive pattern is not corrected and it is carried on generation after generation. The group may survive that "wrong gene" or it might eventually be destroyed by it.

And on the other side of the coin? They didn't realize how strong I was and it amazed them that not only could they not take me out but also the defenses that I had.

NOW, looking at things from the distance, looking at the Big Picture, might I have done better in the service, gone farther had I not been one to march to my own drummer? That's a plausibility but I think not for to be part of that group, thinking the way they did, I would not want to be that kind of person.

IMHO.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:06 PM

2,648 posts, read 655,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Most hazing I recall in the military was in the barracks and it was the other platoon members doing one thing or another to bring a poorly performing troop in line.

The whole suffered because of the one and it was to let the one know that they were tired of being on restriction because of a goof up.

But I didn't see much hazing or allow it. just my experience
Non-military background here. But from what it looks like as an outsider is that the group punishment is a way of taking the incentive away from sabotaging others. It doesn't matter who screws up. You all pay.

Hazing, to me, is distinct from revenge on a screw-up. Hazing happens no matter how well you do - like an entrance fee, paid with your well-being, to weed out those who may be flaky or deserters.

Revenge for screw-ups, is, well, exactly that. No other word but retribution for suffering from another man's misdeed.

It's not desirable to be on the receiving end of either, as with any punishment or paying of dues.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:52 AM

10,551 posts, read 3,599,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seenee View Post
Obviously it's not just the military that does it, but do you think there really is any benefits to hazing?
Military dicipline is one thing, however initiation ceremonies and bullying are another, and the former is there to stop the latter taking place.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:11 AM

6 posts, read 360 times
Hazing is a horrible thing. Achieves no real purpose. If it did, you'd see civlians doing it. You never see high school kids, 20somethings, church groups, politics, sports groups ever ever hazing or having some type of social behavioral modification to toe the line. If they don't, then certainly the military (who are tax payers just like you, and me) shouldn't.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:41 AM

19,269 posts, read 10,694,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GillIamNot View Post
Hazing is a horrible thing. Achieves no real purpose. If it did, you'd see civlians doing it. You never see high school kids, 20somethings, church groups, politics, sports groups ever ever hazing or having some type of social behavioral modification to toe the line. If they don't, then certainly the military (who are tax payers just like you, and me) shouldn't.
Do you know what you're talking about?

Fraternities, sororities, high school and college athletic teams practice hazing all the time.

Military units arguably have more rationale to practice hazing than any college fraternity could have.

But again, we haven't actually defined "hazing" yet in this topic.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:46 AM

19,269 posts, read 10,694,980 times
Being required to drink from the "grog bowl" as the penalty for a Dining-In faux pas.

Hazing or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues