U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM

4,662 posts, read 2,224,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Oh sorry tang. I spent a few years at the Subase in Groton and became very fond of those crazy Submariners.
I follow the base fb page and this came up.
No worries. The only thing I can think of that certainly may have contributed to my anxiety, aside from it being such a tragedy, was that my brother had joined the Navy around that time (not on a Submarine) and his leaving home was devastating to me...Thank you for the thread. I will do some reading on the event and talk to my brother about his memories of that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM

4,962 posts, read 2,127,927 times
submariners are just some special breed...……...I flew as a doorgunner on a huey in Vietnam for three months...……….there is no way I would have traded with a submariner...…….you guys have some pretty big cajones…..

Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM

9,727 posts, read 14,739,404 times
I was a Seawolf. We had B-Model and C-Model gunships. The Army offered some Cobras to us. We didn't want them. The Army asked why not. We said, Cobras can't shoot backwards. Our door gunners saved our butts many times. We had some .50 cal door guns. When they were fired, all the gauges shook in the cockpit.

Old Today, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I was a Seawolf. We had B-Model and C-Model gunships. The Army offered some Cobras to us. We didn't want them. The Army asked why not. We said, Cobras can't shoot backwards. Our door gunners saved our butts many times. We had some .50 cal door guns. When they were fired, all the gauges shook in the cockpit.
Pilot I take it. We had one guy who used a .50...………...you had to check the gun mounts twice as often. they had a tendency to crack. Damn things weighed a 100 pounds too...…..you could not carry as much ammo.
I flew out of Can Tho………..A couple of times we flew over a sea wolf out post in the delta.
Welcome home.

Old Today, 10:41 AM

30,432 posts, read 48,815,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
submariners are just some special breed...……...I flew as a doorgunner on a huey in Vietnam for three months...……….there is no way I would have traded with a submariner...…….you guys have some pretty big cajones…..
There are not a lot of us in the general population. Within the US Navy submariners make up less than 1%.

Those of us who did it for 20-years are extremely rare.

Old Today, 06:22 PM

9,727 posts, read 14,739,404 times
Yes, I was a pilot. Before we got here, the VC thought that helicopters could not fly at night. When we left. you could take an air conditioned Mercedes Benz bus from Saigon down to Can Tho. Hey, I have pics.

Old Today, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Yes, I was a pilot. Before we got here, the VC thought that helicopters could not fly at night. When we left. you could take an air conditioned Mercedes Benz bus from Saigon down to Can Tho. Hey, I have pics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues