U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 126 times

Advertisements

Good Day,
I am a retired Chief Navy Corpsman and my son wants to join the Navy. He was diagnosed with ADD at an early age. He was placed on an IEP through school. He graduated High School in 2015, went to college and just hated school. He has tried many times and just doesn't like it. No medications for 2 years now and has done very well in the working environment and has letters from his employers. Tried to join the Navy and his paperwork was lost at MEPS. That was almost 8 months ago. Now has moved and wants to try again. He has 42 college credits and is working but wants to make something of himself. Any advice on how to get him in the Navy or any service at this point would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 10:48 AM

24,965 posts, read 40,606,335 times
I would take him down to talk to all the recruiters and see what they have to say...

I am retired U.S. Army...

Old 04-11-2019, 12:42 PM

2,937 posts, read 1,669,553 times
Let the recruiters do their job. Talking to them is free.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:02 PM

6,831 posts, read 3,810,885 times
Having been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD and having been previously medicated for it will make it almost impossible to join the military. Recruiting numbers are seriously down, so there may be a little relenting by the military. But it will take a lot of time and waivers to ever get in.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:38 AM

3,314 posts, read 9,674,720 times
You can google DODI 6130.03 which discusses the medical standards for enlistment.

I do not think he has a chance of joining, I'm sorry. I've been in recruiting for 10 years, and it sounds like he took medication even in college? Can he prove he can be academically successful without medication? Usually that takes proof of stopping medication (pharmacy records, doctor's letter, medical records) and college transcripts showing grades. Short of that, the lengthy of time he needed meds and a IEP, as well as the ages, is a big mountain to climb.

The rules are that you're disqualified if:
a. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, if with:
(1) A recommended or prescribed Individualized Education Program, 504 Plan, or work
accommodations after the 14th birthday; [which is has, well after age 14]
(2) A history of comorbid mental disorders; [unknown, would need to see medical records. There are often surprises that you're not aware of]
(3) Prescribed medication in the previous 24 months; or [he meets this standard, so that's good]
(4) Documentation of adverse academic, occupational, or work performance. [Did you say he did poorly in school?]
b. History of learning disorders after the 14th birthday, including but not limited to dyslexia,
if any of the following apply:
(1) With a recommended or prescribed Individualized Education Program, 504 Plan, or
work accommodations after the 14th birthday;
(2) With a history of comorbid mental disorders; or
(3) With documentation of adverse academic, occupational, or work performance.

A waiver is sometimes possible, usually when someone was like 15, stopped meds, had good grades after, and is many years removed. Good luck though, can't hurt to try!

Old 04-12-2019, 09:12 PM

5,665 posts, read 7,973,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
You can google DODI 6130.03 which discusses the medical standards for enlistment.

I do not think he has a chance of joining, I'm sorry. I've been in recruiting for 10 years, and it sounds like he took medication even in college? Can he prove he can be academically successful without medication? Usually that takes proof of stopping medication (pharmacy records, doctor's letter, medical records) and college transcripts showing grades. Short of that, the lengthy of time he needed meds and a IEP, as well as the ages, is a big mountain to climb.

The rules are that you're disqualified if:
a. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, if with:
(1) A recommended or prescribed Individualized Education Program, 504 Plan, or work
accommodations after the 14th birthday; [which is has, well after age 14]
(2) A history of comorbid mental disorders; [unknown, would need to see medical records. There are often surprises that you're not aware of]
(3) Prescribed medication in the previous 24 months; or [he meets this standard, so that's good]
(4) Documentation of adverse academic, occupational, or work performance. [Did you say he did poorly in school?]
b. History of learning disorders after the 14th birthday, including but not limited to dyslexia,
if any of the following apply:
(1) With a recommended or prescribed Individualized Education Program, 504 Plan, or
work accommodations after the 14th birthday;
(2) With a history of comorbid mental disorders; or
(3) With documentation of adverse academic, occupational, or work performance.

A waiver is sometimes possible, usually when someone was like 15, stopped meds, had good grades after, and is many years removed. Good luck though, can't hurt to try!
What branch is this?

Old 04-12-2019, 11:11 PM
Status: "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em..." (set 2 days ago)

36,277 posts, read 41,068,151 times
She's an Air Force recruiter.

Her post sounds largely consistent with what I'm familiar with from Navy standpoint, as well. We've known a number of sailors with significant attentional issues who have specifically avoided dx and meds for this reason. Which obviously isn't great.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:36 AM

2,937 posts, read 1,669,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
She's an Air Force recruiter.
Itís a DOD regulation referenced.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:52 AM

5,665 posts, read 7,973,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Itís a DOD regulation referenced.

I looked it up and I think it was updated with minor changes. Either way I'm a SPED teacher and I have at least 1 student graduating this year who has already attended MEPS, signed a contract, and has a ship date so it's not impossible.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:20 PM

3,314 posts, read 9,674,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
What branch is this?
The instruction is for the Department of Defense... all branches follow it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues