U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 05:06 PM

1,067 posts, read 691,272 times

Advertisements

Go talk to a recruiter. I'd be a little more concerned getting through MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station) and all its physical/medical exams at age 32.

https://www.military.com/join-armed-...uirements.html

Currently the maximum enlistment age for the US Army is 35! So if you're thinking of doing this, get started now! Start getting in shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 07:05 PM

6,954 posts, read 3,924,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
The OP is 32. Basic won’t be a cake walk unless he gets in shape. Who knows? They are getting so picky that he may not even get in. I know they check you out good. A friends son went into the Marines and they look at a lot compared to when I went in.
Actually, it's going to get easier to join the army or the Marines, as both have had trouble meeting recruiting goals lately. So look for looser standards again. But that's not going to help the OP get into an MOS where yearly accession is probably measured in the single digits or it's so competitive that most people don't stand a chance.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:48 PM

2,389 posts, read 484,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Actually, it's going to get easier to join the army or the Marines, as both have had trouble meeting recruiting goals lately. So look for looser standards again. But that's not going to help the OP get into an MOS where yearly accession is probably measured in the single digits or it's so competitive that most people don't stand a chance.
They are too old for the Marines and frankly, with that "gimme gimme" attitude it would be a rough road.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:50 PM

19,608 posts, read 10,894,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I joined at 25. It would have been easier to join earlier, but Iím damn proud of my 22 years and, no one, regardless of branch, can take that away from me.

Iíve done joint work, itís neat. Most of the time. Working with AF and Navy guys really opened my eyes to the different ways the branches function. But theyíre darn good people serving their country just like anyone else in uniform. Donít let anyone tell you any different.
We all win our battles.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:32 AM

564 posts, read 235,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Okay Rich, I will...

My personal opinion is that someone being this selective and scared probably is NOT really the type to SERVE. Yes there are those that JOIN to get what they can out of it, but in my experience those are the ones that have a tougher time.

Now, as far as what you call my military jokes...they were not jokes. It's a very real thing that Marines take offense at being called soldiers. The comment I made about it being sad was heartfelt because if true, the army has fallen a great deal from what it once was or at least as I had perceived it to be.

I suppose, if rappelling and climbing the obstacle course has never been required then I am in the wrong for giving the army as much credit as I have all these years! If this is something new then it's truly sad that they are softening up so much for these snowflakes.

Yes, the OP sounds exactly like a snowflake...it's all about assurances, guarrantees and all about what they get and not what they're willing to give...where is the honor of serving in that?

I don't care which service it is....that attitude is appalling to me and a disgrace and disservice to all those who truly serve for a greater cause and love of country!
At least you stated it is your personal opinion. Although obvious, thanks for starting with that.

I was in the Army from '76 to '92 and spent time in the mid-1980s on recruiting duty. While I generally agree with your concerns about what military members are willing to give and their reasons for joining, the fact of the matter is that since the draft ended and this nation has an all-volunteer force, recruiters are ASKING young men and women to join and make a sacrifice of sorts for 3 or more years (the Army at least had 2 yr enlistments at one point -not sure if they still do).

Therefore, considering our involvement in Vietnam, where the nation had a bad view of the military and the government, there needed to be a reason to entice people to join the military. Service to the nation alone was not good enough unfortunately. Also considering that as well as our nation has done economically since World War II, where a person could fairly easily get a good job, good education and live a relatively good life (these things varied depending on time and location), the military had to then in the 70s and 80s and still do have to compete with the other options a person may have. We knew this as recruiters.

This was especially true in my recruiting experience as my area was near a large university town where many in the area had university jobs and their kids could attend that school for almost nothing.

It boils down to "you can't get something for nothing". This includes the US military. The romantic times of WWII are long over where it was depicted that everyone was willing to make the ultimate sacrifice. While that is certainly partially true, my World War II veteran father pretty much scoffed at that so called "willingness and eagerness". His viewpoint was that those who were drafted and went and served did so because they had to, but they would much more have preferred to stay home and start a career and family.

So, it really is no problem for the OP to be asking these questions. What normal rational person would not try to get the concerns he has addressed? Any recruiter that is not willing to answer those questions as honestly as possible, probably won't make mission and won't be in their job long.

As for your being a Marine, thank you, but I'm sorry you joined the wrong service (had to get that inter-service rivalry quip in there ).

Old 04-19-2019, 10:46 AM

32,829 posts, read 19,761,190 times
well, The thinking that Marines are not intelligent often stems from it being the smaller service known more for fighting on the ground, and the thinking that shooting at the bad guys doesn’t take smarts. There is NO truth to this — “dumb grunts” is such an outdated term, especially for modern day Marine Corps —the Marine Corps infantry is actually a very small part of the overall Corps, which also has many more personnel serving in admin, logistics, supply, and air assets.

In a head-to-head battle of ASVAB scores, the Air Force or Navy would probably come out on top, due to these services having many more technical fields. But plenty of Marine infantrymen know that being in the Marine infantry — or at least being really good at it — takes plenty of brainpower paired with combat skills and physical fitness.

Marines are about the most peculiar breed of human beings, I think this part is definitely true. (I say this with all the love in my heart.) Most have very different personalities, but their high spirits and sense of brotherhood set them apart and, generally speaking, of the United States Marines I’ve come in contact with, are the most professional fighting men and the finest men I have had the pleasure to meet. This is just a fact for me as a civilian chick who has uncles, brother, and best friends (from childhood) served in the Marine Corps. This is why I will marry a Marine.

There are many reasons to have pride in the Marine Corps, and it usually comes down to its history. Since 1775, the Marine Corps has had a storied history of fighting everyone, including pirates, standing armies, and terrorists in Iraq and Afghanistan. and And hands down, the Marine Corps has the absolute best dress uniforms. That is always a plus. They are not called "the few the proud" for no reasons. So why not brag about being a Marine?

This said, the thread is all about a 32 year old man wants to join the Army as a M25. I really do hope that he got some helpful answers. Like I said, I give him all the credits for even try. I can never do it. There are also support jobs in the Marine Corps.

My brother's recruiter said to him, "Do you want to join the rest or the best?" My brother chose the best for him, (well, for him being the key words here) It has proven to be one of the best decisions he has ever made. Just sayin'

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 04-19-2019 at 10:56 AM..

Old 04-19-2019, 11:19 AM

738 posts, read 258,597 times
Hahaha... but can you run 5 miles? Can you go weeks without texting your mother?

Old 04-19-2019, 06:01 PM

53 posts, read 20,993 times
also, i never said I was joining the military for it's benefits. I never talked much about the student loans or anything like that, I was all on the topic of being a 25M in the Army at my age and if it is a good move career wise and personal wise. I believe I stated that I am highly attracted being able to use my career for a greater significance but it is still a very big decision to make that i just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't waste my time and fail at it.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:19 AM

4,744 posts, read 4,766,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco2 View Post
also, i never said I was joining the military for it's benefits. I never talked much about the student loans or anything like that, I was all on the topic of being a 25M in the Army at my age and if it is a good move career wise and personal wise. I believe I stated that I am highly attracted being able to use my career for a greater significance but it is still a very big decision to make that i just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't waste my time and fail at it.

That is a good attitude. Just be aware that if you do make the military a career it would be advisable to look at MOS rank progression or have a plan to go from an enlisted soldier to a warrant or commissioned officer. Good luck with your decision. Go Army Beat Navy (Navy also includes the Marines) Hoooooah!!!

Old 04-23-2019, 09:41 PM

53 posts, read 20,993 times
One last question. In terms of living in base/barracks after BTC.

How is this like, especially for single 32yr old E-4's? Are we required to live in Barracks, especially if stationed in the USA or just under the National Guard? Is living in Barracks free?

Last edited by cisco2; 04-23-2019 at 10:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues