U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 10:55 PM

25,158 posts, read 41,061,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco2 View Post
One last question. In terms of living in base/barracks after BTC.

How is this like, especially for single 32yr old E-4's? Are we required to live in Barracks, especially if stationed in the USA or just under the National Guard? Is living in Barracks free?
It varies depending on a lot of factors.

Some ranks are required to live in "Barracks", some are not...

Living in Barracks is free.

"the National Guard?". I can honestly not comment because I do not know... I served 22+ years continous active duty in th U.S. Army. I retired in 1990, so things have probably changed, and not every US Military post has the same exact conditions... Fort Mead Maryland had some single soldiers living off post and they drew a single soldier housing allowance. Again, that was a long time ago...

You might first read: https://www.goarmy.com/soldier-life/...er-living.html and the following references they mention...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 02:00 PM

11,168 posts, read 8,302,243 times
Typically the guard has no barracks. If you live a certain distance out you can get a room for drill weekend. I think it's 100 miles.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:21 PM

4,759 posts, read 4,790,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco2 View Post
One last question. In terms of living in base/barracks after BTC.

How is this like, especially for single 32yr old E-4's? Are we required to live in Barracks, especially if stationed in the USA or just under the National Guard? Is living in Barracks free?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
It varies depending on a lot of factors.

Some ranks are required to live in "Barracks", some are not...

Living in Barracks is free.

"the National Guard?". I can honestly not comment because I do not know... I served 22+ years continous active duty in th U.S. Army. I retired in 1990, so things have probably changed, and not every US Military post has the same exact conditions... Fort Mead Maryland had some single soldiers living off post and they drew a single soldier housing allowance. Again, that was a long time ago...

You might first read: https://www.goarmy.com/soldier-life/...er-living.html and the following references they mention...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Typically the guard has no barracks. If you live a certain distance out you can get a room for drill weekend. I think it's 100 miles.
Hunter is correct in that on a weekend drill which is typically a Sat/Sun that they will provide a hotel room for the evening but many soldiers spend the evening in the armory. It has facilities to cook and house people. I spent many a night crashed out on a cot in the armory. When I climbed in rank I would get a hotel on my own. Some states make that shorter than 40 miles. Plus there is the mandatory stay at the armory because of mission. We might not have been on active duty but I certainly spent my share of time away from home.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:24 PM

54 posts, read 21,908 times
I just finished my Asvab. It's harder on the actual compared to the practice ones online. It's like the math level in all the apps are at a lower level than the one at meps. I have not dealt with this type of algebra for more than 10 years, and some of the GS was already leaning on engineering.

I got a score of 52 sadly. I am actually considering taking Combat Engineering but another part of me is thinking of seeing what jobs/options i can get with the Navy or Airforce. I'm not sure if this is possible though.

If i do try to enlist for the Navy instead, will I (or can I) retake the Asvab? At the same time, is the way the Navy does it's enlistees different from the army? I'm aware about BTC, but i heard something about being sent to a school or something after and that it can take awhile for that to happen.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:15 PM

157 posts, read 152,700 times
I joined the Army at age 17, August 1947. difficult to get use to it, only took me a couple years. Completed parachute
training at 17 also. My first live fire exercise came in 1951, Korea. Yes, scared ****. But, on 23, 1951 March I made the second combat jump with the 187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team at Munsan-ni, Korea. Again scared ****, and only 20 years old. Learned to be immortal ..... dug like a gopher and ran like a rabbit. Chinese bullets could not match my speed.

My point............join the Air Force. very technical organization ....... with no foxholes.

as an after thought also go for a Warrant Officer level.................

Last edited by John S.; 05-31-2019 at 10:07 PM..

Old 05-31-2019, 11:39 PM

19,699 posts, read 10,967,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John S. View Post
I joined the Army at age 17, August 1947. difficult to get use to it, only took me a couple years. Completed parachute
training at 17 also. My first live fire exercise came in 1951, Korea. Yes, scared ****. But, on 23, 1951 March I made the second combat jump with the 187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team at Munsan-ni, Korea. Again scared ****, and only 20 years old. Learned to be immortal ..... dug like a gopher and ran like a rabbit. Chinese bullets could not match my speed.

My point............join the Air Force. very technical organization ....... with no foxholes.

as an after thought also go for a Warrant Officer level.................
Unfortunately, no warrants in today's Air Force, although they need them more now than ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues