Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 01:37 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
There are a lot of youtube videos of actual basic training in the various services. Gives an idea of what it would be like, at least.
I've never seen videos that show what it's really like in boot camp. The drill instructors aren't going to do anything stupid in front of the cameras. For instance, we spent two weeks at the rifle range. The second week was all about shooting the entire course every day...200, 300 and 500 meters. The first three days didn't count for qualification, but our drill instructors really had it in for those who "failed" the very first day. First they marched us back to the barracks. Then everyone had to stand at attention by their rack. Then they asked for two pairs of gloves. Then they called the five or six who "failed", one at a time, into their hooch and beat the holy crap out of them. I got to see the walls of the hooch buckle outward as each recruit was slammed against the wall. After a few minutes each recruit came out, hunched over forward, clutching their stomach. After that was all over, we had to go outside, where the pull bar area was. It was bordered on all sides by sidewalk, and someone was ordered to fill it with water. The "failures" then had to lie in the mud and do as the DI ordered...lie on your right side, left side, stomach. Make it rain. HARDER!! MAKE IT RAIN! I don't think I'll ever see anything like that on YouTube.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 01:52 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Sorry, though that is the standard, there are shorter and longer deployments.
It's all according to how your unit sets them up. For Afghanistan, C-130 units were called up for one year, but that was broken down into 6 two month rotations. We had too many volunteers, so a full year deployment was impossible. I managed to get three rotations, but that was all.

Old 04-13-2019, 02:28 PM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I've never seen videos that show what it's really like in boot camp. The drill instructors aren't going to do anything stupid in front of the cameras. For instance, we spent two weeks at the rifle range. The second week was all about shooting the entire course every day...200, 300 and 500 meters. The first three days didn't count for qualification, but our drill instructors really had it in for those who "failed" the very first day. First they marched us back to the barracks. Then everyone had to stand at attention by their rack. Then they asked for two pairs of gloves. Then they called the five or six who "failed", one at a time, into their hooch and beat the holy crap out of them. I got to see the walls of the hooch buckle outward as each recruit was slammed against the wall. After a few minutes each recruit came out, hunched over forward, clutching their stomach. After that was all over, we had to go outside, where the pull bar area was. It was bordered on all sides by sidewalk, and someone was ordered to fill it with water. The "failures" then had to lie in the mud and do as the DI ordered...lie on your right side, left side, stomach. Make it rain. HARDER!! MAKE IT RAIN! I don't think I'll ever see anything like that on YouTube.
Mine was pretty much like the Jack Webb movie the D.I. the Drill Sergeants even recreated the sand flea scene with the mosquitoes of Fort Knox.

Back to the obstacle versus confidence courses. The obstacle course was a timed event that every cadet had to pass. On the confidence course if you went to fast and showed no unease or fear then the Drill Sergeants ordered you to slow down and do things like hope up and down on the balance beam over the lake. I guess if there was no stress then there was no test or training happening.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:54 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco2 View Post
Thanks. My friends who have been in the Army also suggested to be an officer. I would love to be used for joint assignments and be able to work for all branches of the military.
Just and FYI- there are many MOS's and ranks in the military where you work with other branches of the military....it's not just a specific rank or MOS.

Quote:
Not yet, they gave me a practice ASVAB test but I will most likely take it this week.
Then you need to start at the ASVAB and then go from there. There is a chance that the ASVAB may say a completely different MOS for you.

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Another question I have in regards to deployment is bills, for example I am still paying my car, credit card bill, loans, or whatever and I get deployed out of the country. Will this interfere with it (the deploy or just my chance at staying in the army in general) or is there a way to pay that off especially if you are not on autopay?
When a soldier deploys they have a whole BUNCH of things that they must have in place. Part of it is their finances. We have our bills on auto-pay and I am my husbands back up if there is an issue with our bills (rent, utilities). If he is deployed and a bill comes up, the account information is put in and taken care of.
Internet access and communications are much better than it was in 2007.
Also something else to keep in mind is that your debt can effect your security clearance also if your MOS requires one.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:04 PM

60 posts, read 51,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
Then you need to start at the ASVAB and then go from there. There is a chance that the ASVAB may say a completely different MOS for you.
Thanks. This is also confusing for me, because what lead me to the army was a Job application for Multimedia Illustrator, which I applied for. Why would they post this yet it is the ASVAB that tells me what MOS I will be in? Especially since I already have bachelors and will be getting my masters in Mutlimedia.

Reference of application:
https://www.jobilize.com/amp/job/25m...medium=organic

Old 04-13-2019, 10:57 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Thanks. This is also confusing for me, because what lead me to the army was a Job application for Multimedia Illustrator, which I applied for. Why would they post this yet it is the ASVAB that tells me what MOS I will be in? Especially since I already have bachelors and will be getting my masters in Mutlimedia.

Reference of application:
https://www.jobilize.com/amp/job/25m...medium=organic
"Multimedia Illustrator" has some required minimum ASVAB score. You have to have that number, just like you needed ACT or SAT to apply for college.

It's likely, though, that with college behind you, you'll score fairly high in several areas and the recruiter will point out wider opportunities...especially those with lucrative bonuses.

In my case back in the early 70s, I wanted to go into Photojournalism, and my ASVAB scores were far higher than necessary for that job. My recruiter, SSgt Roy Rogers (truth!) really pushed hard for me go into computer programming.

I probably should have. I ended up in IT anyway.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:19 PM

5,715 posts, read 4,682,005 times
Your ASVAB doesn’t so much determine your MOS as it shows what jobs are open to you. I had a really good score but chose 19E for bonus and fun.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:54 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Has your recruiter given you an idea of whether 25M is a needed (shortage) MOS? Until the recruiter gives you concrete information, it is really glamorous pie in the sky. (I did a quick search and couldn't tell without logging in).

I am guessing if the local NG unit advertised for a 25M job where you must enlist, then the local unit might have a need or they could be 'phishing'. But given that the Army failed to make recruitment goals it seems odd that the Army would put a person in a 25M slot when needs are so much greater in other MOS. But NG may be meeting its goals and still has needs to be met. IDK

That being said, IMO if this interests you then put your effort into doing well on the ASVAB so that multiple MOS are open to you. Build your body up for the physical aspects of basic and individual training. Find out the physical test requirement and work your body until you can exceed them.

Good luck. not being negative nellie but there are so many levels and layers to big government that you never really know until you know. but you can count on need to meet physical and mental requirements so focus on what you can control.

BTW, never go into the military without an understanding that in the current world deployment and all that goes with it are very possible even likely. It isn't the cold war army anymore.

Old 04-14-2019, 12:13 PM

898 posts, read 597,322 times
We still don't know if you can run 5 miles or hike for 12 miles with a pack full of gear. Even if you go in as an officer, you still need to do it. The other 32yo officers did.....8-14 years ago. If you are 6ft tall, are you 180# with a 32" waist, or 240# and 40"pear shaped waist?

Old 04-14-2019, 05:28 PM

60 posts, read 51,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
LOL. For real? Damn..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues