U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 05:29 PM

54 posts, read 21,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Has your recruiter given you an idea of whether 25M is a needed (shortage) MOS? Until the recruiter gives you concrete information, it is really glamorous pie in the sky. (I did a quick search and couldn't tell without logging in).

I am guessing if the local NG unit advertised for a 25M job where you must enlist, then the local unit might have a need or they could be 'phishing'. But given that the Army failed to make recruitment goals it seems odd that the Army would put a person in a 25M slot when needs are so much greater in other MOS. But NG may be meeting its goals and still has needs to be met. IDK

That being said, IMO if this interests you then put your effort into doing well on the ASVAB so that multiple MOS are open to you. Build your body up for the physical aspects of basic and individual training. Find out the physical test requirement and work your body until you can exceed them.

Good luck. not being negative nellie but there are so many levels and layers to big government that you never really know until you know. but you can count on need to meet physical and mental requirements so focus on what you can control.

BTW, never go into the military without an understanding that in the current world deployment and all that goes with it are very possible even likely. It isn't the cold war army anymore.
They haven't said anything about the availability, although I have addressed/referenced what I applied for.

I posted a link to the job ad they posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 06:34 PM

25,099 posts, read 40,935,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco2 View Post
Thanks. This is also confusing for me, because what lead me to the army was a Job application for Multimedia Illustrator, which I applied for. Why would they post this yet it is the ASVAB that tells me what MOS I will be in? Especially since I already have bachelors and will be getting my masters in Mutlimedia.

Reference of application:
https://www.jobilize.com/amp/job/25m...medium=organic
That URL which you posted has nothing to do with the Department of Defense or any U.S. Military organizations or U.S. Military jobs.

Quote:
Jobilize.com is a world-class job search engine.

Jobilize.com started late 2009 by Yasser Ibrahim as a side project that hosts couple of technical mock exams, later on Jobilize.com evolved to be the leading online quiz creator as well as the most powerfull Open Educational Resources (OER) / OpenCourseWare (OCW) search engine.

Here is the U.S. Army web page describing the Multimedia Illustrator (25M) and other info: https://www.goarmy.com/careers-and-j...lustrator.html

Read that page and the related pages carefully. You can get a lot of info, talk to someone, have info sent, etc...

Old 04-14-2019, 07:58 PM

6,440 posts, read 3,538,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I've never seen videos that show what it's really like in boot camp. The drill instructors aren't going to do anything stupid in front of the cameras. For instance, we spent two weeks at the rifle range. The second week was all about shooting the entire course every day...200, 300 and 500 meters. The first three days didn't count for qualification, but our drill instructors really had it in for those who "failed" the very first day. First they marched us back to the barracks. Then everyone had to stand at attention by their rack. Then they asked for two pairs of gloves. Then they called the five or six who "failed", one at a time, into their hooch and beat the holy crap out of them. I got to see the walls of the hooch buckle outward as each recruit was slammed against the wall. After a few minutes each recruit came out, hunched over forward, clutching their stomach. After that was all over, we had to go outside, where the pull bar area was. It was bordered on all sides by sidewalk, and someone was ordered to fill it with water. The "failures" then had to lie in the mud and do as the DI ordered...lie on your right side, left side, stomach. Make it rain. HARDER!! MAKE IT RAIN! I don't think I'll ever see anything like that on YouTube.
Quote:
LOL. For real? Damn..
I just got recycled with the marksmanship instructors while the rest of the company moved on. Eventually qualifying as a sharpshooter after losing half a day.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:04 PM

2,419 posts, read 490,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I've never seen videos that show what it's really like in boot camp. The drill instructors aren't going to do anything stupid in front of the cameras. For instance, we spent two weeks at the rifle range. The second week was all about shooting the entire course every day...200, 300 and 500 meters. The first three days didn't count for qualification, but our drill instructors really had it in for those who "failed" the very first day. First they marched us back to the barracks. Then everyone had to stand at attention by their rack. Then they asked for two pairs of gloves. Then they called the five or six who "failed", one at a time, into their hooch and beat the holy crap out of them. I got to see the walls of the hooch buckle outward as each recruit was slammed against the wall. After a few minutes each recruit came out, hunched over forward, clutching their stomach. After that was all over, we had to go outside, where the pull bar area was. It was bordered on all sides by sidewalk, and someone was ordered to fill it with water. The "failures" then had to lie in the mud and do as the DI ordered...lie on your right side, left side, stomach. Make it rain. HARDER!! MAKE IT RAIN! I don't think I'll ever see anything like that on YouTube.
Sounds like Marine Corps, not army.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:36 AM

3,012 posts, read 1,719,646 times
Quote:
LOL. For real? Damn..
A lot of stories from Vietnam era vets like that. It isnít happening today.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:23 AM

742 posts, read 260,898 times
I'm beginning to think this guy is click bait.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:58 AM

32,840 posts, read 19,786,913 times
It looks like he is only looking for certain answers. One poster is right in my opinion, it looks like the poster is looking for reassurance and guarantee.

I have some very good friends who were Army veterans. They say in general, Career field 25 is a good field with great civilian crossover, but there are not a lot of 25M jobs in the Army. (well, maybe internet articles paint a different story, so don't be mad at me if you don't agree) A lot of contractors do signal jobs in the war zone, so they do get deployed.

This message is for op, like it or not, I think you might want to look into being an officer (given your age, what you want to accomplish, and your college degree). Like it or not, if you made a wrong choice, you still need to give a minimum of several years of commitment, I don't mean to be rude, you are not young enough to make this kind of mistake in my opinion. My brother joined when he was 18, by the time he got out of the Marine Corps, he was only 26. No matter how he analyzed his situation, military service has been great for him. He finished his college degree after military service and he's running his own company. Because he's a veteran, in addition to the skills and talents military veterans can bring to a company, they can also help his business earn tax credits. So win win for my brother.

It looks like you started a bit late as an enlisted, but maybe being an officer is the way to go (in my opinion) and if you are looking for the 25 field as an enlisted, maybe you can open to other jobs, be a little bit flexible.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 04-15-2019 at 11:36 AM..

Old 04-15-2019, 11:30 AM

5,321 posts, read 6,441,869 times
these officer recommendations: officers don't choose what they do or where they go especially early on. OP is concerned about possibility of deployment. OP wants to be an illustrator which an officer would not do. OP is not (by his own words) currently in shape.

basically officer does not fit with the OP's stated wishes or pattern.

OP, hang with coordination with the recruiter if you really want 25M but open your job search to other things and places.

Good luck

Old 04-15-2019, 11:47 AM

32,840 posts, read 19,786,913 times
Quote:
My friends who have been in the Army also suggested to be an officer. I would love to be used for joint assignments and be able to work for all branches of the military.
You might not be able to work as a multimedia illustrator as an officer. It all depends on what you really want.

I'd consider being an officer if I were you ONLY because you said in your op that you couldn't find a job in your career field in civilian world. (I wouldn't hang on to the multimedia illustrator job too tightly) Since you have a college degree and is about to get your Master's degree, I think Army officer will open a lot of doors for you, just my opinion. Or even try being an Air force officer. A friend in college became an air force officer ( I forgot how old he was), his major in college was art, and he is doing something completely different, but he's happy.

By the way, I don't think any recruiters can guarantee you a job.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 04-15-2019 at 12:02 PM..

Old 04-15-2019, 12:08 PM

6,962 posts, read 3,940,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Sounds like Marine Corps, not army.
It was the Marine Corps. Only the Marine Corps has drill instructors. The army calls them drill Sergeants. Semper Fidelis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues