U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2019, 12:15 PM

10 posts, read 2,917 times

Advertisements

So, Iíve been going through the ringer here with my Nurse Corps application process. Quick back story, about ten years prior service active duty Air Force 1998-2008 and then AF Reserves 2008-2013. Now Iím a civilian RN and was accepted into the AF Nurse Corps and am supposed to ship out to Commissioned Officer Training this June. However, my recruiter has now recently informed me that he thought he had all the paper work, (mind you this has been an application process almost two years into it) but is now telling me he needs my discharge orders from the AF Reserves. Thatís the only thing heís missing. Why this comes up now, I do not know, but we have been scrambling to get it for the past 96 hours. He had a contact at the National Archives that used the DPRIS and ARMS systems to send every document I ever had to my recruiter. My recruiter went through everything and could not find what he was looking for. Iíve even tried calling ARPC and they canít find anything on me. ARPC and my recruiter both suggested that I get in touch with my old unit to see if they have my discharge orders. Iíve tried to contact my old unit, but either get someone who doesnít know anything or a dead end voicemail to which I leave messages. As a last ditch effort Iíve sent a formal request to the National Archives to request a DD256, but that takes 60 days to process and Iím slotted to go to COT the first week of June. Is it possibly that my Reserve unit never made discharge orders? What happens if I canít get ahold of them? Iím so close to attaining something Iíve worked so hard for and I canít believe that it will all disappear due to an elusive piece of paper. How can this be possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 05:00 PM

4,530 posts, read 6,604,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ummagumma32 View Post
So, Iíve been going through the ringer here with my Nurse Corps application process. Quick back story, about ten years prior service active duty Air Force 1998-2008 and then AF Reserves 2008-2013. Now Iím a civilian RN and was accepted into the AF Nurse Corps and am supposed to ship out to Commissioned Officer Training this June. However, my recruiter has now recently informed me that he thought he had all the paper work, (mind you this has been an application process almost two years into it) but is now telling me he needs my discharge orders from the AF Reserves. Thatís the only thing heís missing. Why this comes up now, I do not know, but we have been scrambling to get it for the past 96 hours. He had a contact at the National Archives that used the DPRIS and ARMS systems to send every document I ever had to my recruiter. My recruiter went through everything and could not find what he was looking for. Iíve even tried calling ARPC and they canít find anything on me. ARPC and my recruiter both suggested that I get in touch with my old unit to see if they have my discharge orders. Iíve tried to contact my old unit, but either get someone who doesnít know anything or a dead end voicemail to which I leave messages. As a last ditch effort Iíve sent a formal request to the National Archives to request a DD256, but that takes 60 days to process and Iím slotted to go to COT the first week of June. Is it possibly that my Reserve unit never made discharge orders? What happens if I canít get ahold of them? Iím so close to attaining something Iíve worked so hard for and I canít believe that it will all disappear due to an elusive piece of paper. How can this be possible?
If they didn't discharge you then they owe you back pay lol

Old 04-28-2019, 11:06 PM

7,094 posts, read 4,033,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
If they didn't discharge you then they owe you back pay lol
Or she owes them brig time for being AWOL.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:57 AM
PFM

139 posts, read 120,435 times
How did they issue a DD-214 without orders? They exist somewhere...

Old 04-29-2019, 07:43 AM

3,338 posts, read 9,826,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFM View Post
How did they issue a DD-214 without orders? They exist somewhere...
They don't generally give a DD214 when leaving the Reserves, that's a discharge from Active Duty.

OP, you should be able to get a letter or a memo that it doesn't exist/isn't available. You might even be able to type the memo up with proof you made an inquiry to the archives. Good luck!

Old 04-29-2019, 10:12 AM

30,630 posts, read 49,275,273 times
Talk to your former Reserve unit, explain the issue and see if they have any suggestions.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:22 PM

10 posts, read 2,917 times
Thanks for the replies. I’ve confirmed with ARPC that the reason my reserve discharge orders could not be found is because they were never created. They had suggested my sending in Ann SF180 to request discharge orders to be made which may take a few weeks processing time. I told my recruiter this and he thinks we do not have the time to do that. He is sending the documents he and I were able to obtain and the inquiries we have made to obtain the discharge orders up his chain of command to get further instructions. I did mention the memorandum idea to him. It seems like the quickest route. I hope this gets resolved soon. It always seems to be a roadblock in this process somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or