Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 10:40 PM

285 posts, read 677,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
Oh my! Won't you be surprised how much junk you have collected?
LOL! I've actually already started cleaning out closets, etc., rather than waiting until we put the house on the market because I know it'll be a nightmare if I wait. AmVets is picking up 1/2 a garage full on Friday and that is just from one section of the basement!

When we moved here, I thought I had so much storage space and yet we've managed to fill it all!

Lori
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 10:42 PM

285 posts, read 677,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I'm a very young military brat (20 yrs old). I didnt move as much as my fellow brats. I actually spent 12 years at Langley AFB and for the last two years could not wait to get out of there. It just got old. Now after 4 years here in NoVA i can't wait for my move to KY in 09. Hopefully, Louisville is a place that can be a place that i can put down some roots. So i hope that my hype for Louisville is more wanting to get out of NoVA and less wanting something new every few years.
After 4 HOURS in NoVA, I was ready to move. Counting the minutes....

Lori

Old 07-14-2008, 11:30 PM

958 posts, read 2,132,455 times
I was an Army brat along with my brother and sister. Every two years we moved except when dad went to Vietnam (twice). Those times we moved after 12 months at a duty station. We did that until dad retired in 1971.

I enlisted in the Navy in 79 and got out in 86 finally settling down in 2000.
I have to say my feet do get a bit itchy from time to time though.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:19 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,764,871 times
Im an Army brat,seems like i get really bored with a place after a couple years.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:39 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,581,185 times
Tevili you are very normal! Traveling does open a new horizon and after I moved around during my school years K-12 and College as a military brat and as ex-military myself I always had the urge to move around for 2 reasons ... 1) I didn't know where was home anymore 2) I simply loved traveling ... however I realized several things, I do want to own a home, start a family within the next 2 years and hopping around place to place has never lead me close to that thus I am looking for a permanent place next year to call home and settle down. Good luck with everything, if you can keep traveling it's great, I envy you!

Old 07-17-2008, 09:08 AM

230 posts, read 1,142,251 times
yup. i actually lived in the same state for nearly 10 years, but because the areas were so different, i satisfied my sick desire to torture myself by moving to a new area every 2-3 years. We live in Boston now and honestly, this is the first place that i haven't felt the innate desire to move. Do any of you have kids? For some reason, I feel that when we decide to start having little ones, I'll want to stay in the same place to have that experience of "our" house that I never got when I was growing up. It always makes me jealous when a few of my friends have this comfort zone that is "their" house. Their childhood home. "Their" yard, "their" room. I want that for my kids. Thank goodness Boston seems to be a place where I can settle.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:21 AM

10 posts, read 20,493 times
Great!
For a while there I thought I had "geographic A.D.D." cuz I get really bored with the same place and people easily and am ready to leave within a year or two of having lived in the same place.

Or maybe this is the forum for the 12-step program to rid oneself of this crazy urge to always move.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:56 AM

27 posts, read 117,934 times
YES!!

I have moved 10 times in the past 11 years (even if it was just to different housing off-base or something like that).

I just bought a new house and I plan to stay in it for a while. I'm very excited to unpack some boxes that I haven't opened in years. They have photo albums and cards from my mom that I just can't bear to part with.

I'm sure in a few years I'll be ready to move again though!

Old 07-31-2008, 07:42 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,733,397 times
Funny, I'm a Navy Brat and we never once had to move! Then I became a Marine Corps wife, we only moved 3 hours from home, hoping we'd get stationed somewhere far, never happened.
Now in my adult life, outside of military life, we have been moving about every 3 to 4 years for civilian job relos...too funny that the military never really moved us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues